Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Brian's Bilateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are doing great! So glad you have such great PTs.
 
It's been some time since my last post but now 7 weeks post op and things have overall gone well. Some minor issues with a leaky incision on my left knee, which turned out to be a stitch coming up. A quick trip to the OS took care of this including a prescription for antibiotics. The only other issue of note is that both legs tend to swell when standing upright, more on this in a moment. I am fortunate to have moved away from the "nasty" opiate pain killers about 2-weeks post op and have since only taken extra strength Tylenol for the occasional ache or pain as needed.

Last week was my 6 week post op OS check up and oil change. After a series of x-rays ( didn't know that Samsung makes x-ray equipment) and some manipulation of the knees my OS pronounced that all the metal and plastic was where it was supposed to be and was very pleased with progress. We discussed flexion and to my surprise my OS commented that I should expect maximum flexion of between 110-115. Given that pre op I was about 95 on both knees (lots of bone spurs in both knees) and he suggested that this would be an indicator of post op flexion, I was so taken back I did not ask him any more questions. While I am not hung up on the numbers, one of my objectives was that I would be able to ride a bike and now felt that this was not going to happen. Once home, I did some research and there is some evidence to suggest based on what I read that pre op flexion is a "reasonable" predictor of post op outcome. Also that flexion of 110-115 is considered a successful outcome of TKR and allows for walking, going up and down stairs etc. The question I have, is this a fair assessment of what my final flexion capability may be?

My PT sessions have been something I look forward to as my PT is excellent, caring and while she challenges me, I am not pushed past my level of comfort or consent. I have now transitioned from 3-sessions a week to 2-sessions a week and scheduled through early December until my 12 week OS check-up. My PT took a course over the past weekend on the Graston Technique and on Monday I became the first patient in their practice to recieve this technique. Essentially Graston employs about 6-7 "tools" made of stainless steel of various shapes and sizes which can be employed all over the body where injury has occurred with each tool being used for specific purposes. In my case after a brief warm up on a "push pedal" bike the PT used the edges of various tools to rub over my quads, IT bands, calves including around both patella. I had several knotty areas worked out and they also worked on old scar tissue and my two new incision scars. The rubbing was firm but not painful and the results were amazing with much more relaxed legs and "flexible" knees. Right after this we measured flexion and I was able to achieve easily 105 in both knees which is now my best to date. Also I completed the balance of my other exercises with much more flexibility, posture and overall ease. Don't know if this was a one time "new" technique placebo affect but look forward to my PT session tomorrow for another treatment. Was wondering if anyone else has experience with the Graston Technique.

Finally (sorry for the long post) I just acquired a pair of graduated compression socks. Once I put them on the effect was immediate in that I had less tightness in both knees and almost now swelling in my calves and ankles. For those who have worn them, how often and for what duration do you wear them. At this point I wear them all day long and the swelling in my legs is much reduced and I have also been able to increase the length of my daily walks. I do remove them at bed time. Am curious of what experience other have.
 
to my surprise my OS commented that I should expect maximum flexion of between 110-115. Given that pre op I was about 95 on both knees (lots of bone spurs in both knees) and he suggested that this would be an indicator of post op flexion, I was so taken back I did not ask him any more questions.

Also that flexion of 110-115 is considered a successful outcome of TKR and allows for walking, going up and down stairs etc. The question I have, is this a fair assessment of what my final flexion capability may be?
I can't answer your question about the Graston technique or the compression socks (although I have heard tha other people also found them helpful), bu I will have a go at the ROM questions.

Although for some people pre-op ROM is an indicator others, like you, have surpassed their pre op ROM.
I don't have a scientific answer, but my feeling is that you could well continue to get some improvement. After all, you're already ahead of the game and ROM can continue to improve for a year or more after surgery. Just take it slow and steady.
 
Like Celle, I don't have a specific answer, but you could well achieve a comfortable ROM over time that will allow you to ride a bike.

My OS expects me to achieve a ROM of 120. I achieved 118 in PT. I don't know where it is now, but I can do everything I need to do without pain, including riding my recumbent stationary bike. I haven't tried my street bike yet.

I think you have every reason to be hopeful at this point.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
:iagree: With Jean. After my infection surgery my OS said he'd be happy if I reached a ROM of 90. At the time I was so worried over the infection I didn't think about how that sounded. In retrospect, 90 wasn't what I wanted, but now I am able to ride my exercise bike, swim laps, shop and even squat in the water. I don't have a clue what my number is, I just know what I am able to do. Oh and my OS is pleased also!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom