THR Break on through to the other side

You'll be bouncing about in no time, i had mine done in April up in Belfast Musgrave Park Hospital. 6 weeks later i was off the crutches and 8 weeks spinning away on my Spin bike indoors. No pain or side effects at all, still can't sleep on my back though so i lie on my stomach as usual though i was on my side for 5 weeks with a pillow between my knees.

Now i'm at Spin classes 4 times a week and out on my road bike as well, best thing that ever happened to me bar the birth of my 2 kids :)
 
@cabbageandbacon that is a great report. I love spin. I have a bike at home and used to attend classes at the gym so now I am very encouraged by your recovery. Thanks for your update!
 
Thanks C&B... Going to read your trend later.. Have been searching for a younger example from this side of the Atlantic to follow.. Also eager to get back to sport so I might touch on the same problems.. I'll stay in touch.. Thanks again
 
@Daooneill , plenty of hippies return to sport. Give it time and you'll get there. Welcome to the other side!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Break on through to the other side


Got discharged today... Trip back in the car went well.. Feeling comfortable and relatively pain free... Still struggling to get a good nights sleep on me back but small complaint all things considering...
 
Good for you , Daooneill, you'll be back playing sports before you know it! I love your avatar - the logo for the school most of my family attended!
 
Well, you're a bright and sparky one and no mistake!
But here's some serious reading for you

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
@Daooneill No worries mate, i'm happy to answer any questions relating to my recovery. But do take heed of the advise that Josephine has posted above, it certainly does help in the long run.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Josephine thank you for your post, it's extremely helpful.. I had read it a few times pre-op off someone else's trend and it covers all the bases.
I'm one week post op today. Just suffering a little with thigh pain. Upper leg is black and blue to the knee. Looking forward to seeing the wound this Thursday when the dressing comes off..
I take it the next few weeks is about resting and Box Sets & Books :-)
 
@Daooneill ...I'm sure you will be sailing along sooon. It will be great to see your progression given you young age You better pick your favorite books to read first..otherwise you might not get to them since you will be outside enjoying the sunny days!
 
Yep Bruising has subsided.. Still have some quad and knee pain.. Struggle to do knee extension exercise.. Hope that's normal..
 
I SO hated those stockings! And had a very time sleeping on my back, too.

I'm so glad you are doing so well

Peace and love.
 
Back
Top Bottom