• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Bilateral THR Boxerdad67's Recovery Thread

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
@Boxerdad67 I am thinking that you may have better luck finding canes for tall people on Amazon?
Or call around to home health supply stores and see if they carry different sizes so you can try them out?

ceezee

graduate
Country
You might want to check out Leki trekking poles. They come in longer lengths. That what I use(d) and I love them. I originally got them for walking the Grand Canyon but found they were perfect for THR recovery. You can get different tips for pavement or trail, etc.
@Boxerdad67

OP
OP
Boxerdad67

Boxerdad67

Country
Day 14
Wow, so 2 weeks have flown by and so far so good. Got in a total of 80 steps yesterday, 40 up 40 down, followed by ice pack therapy. Bandages came off and incisions look very good. I have moved over to canes and ditching the walker. We have lots more steps to do today in the last day of warm weather for awhile here down in NC. Thanks for the support the forum provides:):):)

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Great update!! So glad to read that you are doing so well and your incisions look good too! Pretty amazing how clean and well healed they look so soon.
Just remember, it's really discouraging to dip into the ODIC, so pace yourself!
Slow and steady wins the race.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You're doing great for two weeks along, remember that slow and steady win this race. Continue to listen to your body and stop if you feel any pain and take it easy. Rest, ice and elevate!

OP
OP
Boxerdad67

Boxerdad67

Country
You're doing great for two weeks along, remember that slow and steady win this race. Continue to listen to your body and stop if you feel any pain and take it easy. Rest, ice and elevate!
Yeah so today I went for 120 steps and a lot of outside walking. Paying the price now. But tomorrow is gonna be nasty weather so I’ll rest up. Thanks

brookeo

Country
Happy to see another double hip - had mine done yesterday. It is so helpful to read about recoveries! Best of luck!

OP
OP
Boxerdad67

Boxerdad67

Country
Happy Friday
Things are still going well. I’m so amazed at how I feel. The wife took me by work to see my friends yesterday and we actually did some shopping and it felt pretty good. Using 1 cane most of the time rather than 2. So my granddaughter gave me a new rapper name “Poppy 2 Canes”. My coworkers couldn’t believe how I could go up and down the steps at our base. Our ambulances are downstairs and it is 24 steps downstairs to get to your unit. They were amazed also watching me get into and out of my QRV as that is my vehicle the county supplies me at work to respond to assist on EMS calls. My boss has light duty chores awaiting me as soon as I feel up to coming back to work. Today we are gonna try a half mile walk without stopping, so wish me luck.

ritabell

Country
Love, Love "Poppy2Canes". Do you have a car cane? Visiting nurse told me about it and ordered it on Amazon of course. No specialty store around here to see such things It really helps in/out of car because you don't have t reach or worry about the door flying open.

Good luck and be well every day. I don't know how you're doing it.

Had hip #2 done Wed. Home the next day. Hip #1 was last March. FINALLY over . YAY

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Friday @Boxerdad67 aka Poppy 2 Canes! That's really sweet. Sounds like you're doing well, getting out and about a little, planning a walk, visiting co-workers.

Sounds like you did quite a bit yesterday and you're feeling up to trying a half mild walk today, please take it easy don't want you joining the ODIC, over did it club. Have a great weekend!

OP
OP
Boxerdad67

Boxerdad67

Country
Love, Love "Poppy2Canes". Do you have a car cane? Visiting nurse told me about it and ordered it on Amazon of course. No specialty store around here to see such things It really helps in/out of car because you don't have t reach or worry about the door flying open.

Good luck and be well every day. I don't know how you're doing it.

Had hip #2 done Wed. Home the next day. Hip #1 was last March. FINALLY over . YAY
I’ve got a door handle system that assists you getting in but I honestly haven’t needed it. I just get in and out without any help so far. Got in 3/4 of a mile with our dogs and several trips around the yard. Ice packs after that and a nap and I feel great. Hope you are doing well today

OP
OP
Boxerdad67

Boxerdad67

Country
Happy Friday @Boxerdad67 aka Poppy 2 Canes! That's really sweet. Sounds like you're doing well, getting out and about a little, planning a walk, visiting co-workers.

Sounds like you did quite a bit yesterday and you're feeling up to trying a half mild walk today, please take it easy don't want you joining the ODIC, over did it club. Have a great weekend!
@Elf1 today was awesome 3/4 mile with our dogs trips around the yard and then ice packs and a nap and I feel awesome this evening. Is this really to good to be true???

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: Aren't new hips just the bomb!
Yep, hip pain is gone....however those soft tissues, muscles and tendons are still healing.
It never seems to hurt until you stop.
Is this really to good to be true???
Not exactly...but you can't use the "how it feels while you're doing it" as a measure ...hope you are icing and elevating now.:ice:
Don't want you to enter the ODIC (Overdid It Club)
Be happy you did so well...ARE doing so well.
Just keep things slow because these are early days and we have these hips, hopefully forever.
Just because we can...doesn't mean we should.:) :-) (:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boxerdad67

Boxerdad67

Country
:wave: Aren't new hips just the bomb!
Yep, hip pain is gone....however those soft tissues, muscles and tendons are still healing.
It never seems to hurt until you stop.
Is this really to good to be true???
Not exactly...but you can't use the "how it feels while you're doing it" as a measure ...hope you are icing and elevating now.:ice:
Don't want you to enter the ODIC (Overdid It Club)
Be happy you did so well...ARE doing so well.
Just keep things slow because these are early days and we have these hips, hopefully forever.
Just because we can...doesn't mean we should.:) :-) (:
Good advice @Mojo333 I just feel so good I wanna just do stuff. We actually went to our mountain place today and walked to the top of the hill several times and it was awesome. Ice packs now though

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:ice: ice IS nice.
Think about taking it easy tomorrow.
These forever hips will thank you for taking things slow and easy.

Yogigirl

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
use lots of ice, then a bit more!! and know every ache is worth it. Your new hips will give you a new life!! I'm six months in and wishing I had done it earlier now I realise how much I had stopped doing with my grumbly hips.
sounds like youre doing great.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Good morning @Boxerdad67 :wave: You are doing so well with your recovery and that make me so very happy for you!
I liked your question about is this too good to be true? Apparently you have been blessed with a very smooth recovery and as long as you are careful and continue to give yourself plenty of rest, ice time etc., you should do well.
The only advice I can give is to continue to take things slowly. What feels good can turn into not feeling good really quickly, this will be especially true when you begin the return to work. I've found that tempering my exercise and walking routine was key. Your work day needs to count as some of your exercise and PT.

So happy for you!!

OP
OP
Boxerdad67

Boxerdad67

Country
Thank you @CricketHip. Yeah I don’t wanna overdo it for sure. Today is the beginning of week 3 and I’m just so happy with the progress.
Dr. Brian Curtin is my OS in Charlotte NC

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
As you should be! I had my hips replaced at separate times/years but the thrill of losing the arthritis/bone on bone pain is still a vibrant memory!

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
B3nzaah
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom