Bilateral THR Boxerdad67's Recovery Thread

We bilaterals are a tough lot...and it is hard.:console2:
Just roll with it and try not to worry.
All Temporary was my mantra through much of my early recovery.
It was all worth it:chuckmarch:
 
Good Morning @Boxerdad67
With yesterday being your worst so far, I hope today is feeling brighter.
I'm in awe of bilaterals, always have been. It takes a lot of courage in my book to put yourself in a position where it must feel like you don't have a good leg to stand on. It has to be rather comical determining which leg is your "good leg" given all the carpentry that happened beneath the surface. You'll have to document your progress here to add to the healing journeys of all the brave bilaterals that have gone before you.
Wishing you comfort and a wonderful day!
 
Last edited:
Good morning @Boxerdad67 I hope this morning is a little easier than yesterday. The improvements can be incremental..the tiniest of incrementals! Especially in the early days.

You sound like you have a good handle on your recovery and that is so important.
Can you tell if one hip is behaving better than the other? Or is that even possible?
I am wishing for you a very nice weekend with continued improvements and good rest. :flwrysmile:
 
Day 6
So last night brought on a difficult situation. My feet became so very cold, we continually checked my pulses which were intact but it was a somewhat scary situation as your mind begins to wander into the blood clot area. We put socks on which didn’t help and of course when your mind starts going in a 100 different directions partly because I’ve been in healthcare my whole life and know what all can happen. Sometime around 5 in the morning they started warming up and this morning all seems ok. Still having the long wait for the BM that still eludes me but laxatives are on the horizon. Made several laps around the house inside that is and movement is better than yesterday.
Thanks again for the support on this great forum
 
Sorry you had a tough night. Just keep moving around regularly during the day. Are you taking any blood thinners?
 
Sorry you had a tough night. Just keep moving around regularly during the day. Are you taking any blood thinners?
Only thing is baby aspirin 81 milligrams x a day
 
Congrats.on your bilateral!

As you know, I'm a month ahead of you. The first couple of weeks are tough, especially the nights.

Oddly, I think that the lack of a 'good' leg to rely on has actually helped me NOT walk with a perceptible limp. I'll be interested to hear if that'll be your experience when you're further along.

My week to week milestones/setbacks are still very fresh in my mind! And I'm still a work in progress.....
 
Congrats.on your bilateral!

As you know, I'm a month ahead of you. The first couple of weeks are tough, especially the nights.

Oddly, I think that the lack of a 'good' leg to rely on has actually helped me NOT walk with a perceptible limp. I'll be interested to hear if that'll be your experience when you're further along.

My week to week milestones/setbacks are still very fresh in my mind! And I'm still a work in progress.....
Thank you for this encouragement.
 
Day 8 has started off very good. Walked outside in the warm sunshine for about 10 minutes, got to see my honeybees out flying around since it was warm enough for them. I’m sleeping pretty good at night and using my ice packs during the day after walks. Surgical sites look good with bandages scheduled for removal in a few days. Started my first attempt at steps, only going up 1 but it’s a start. The best quote I believe since being a previous runner was “remember 4 weeks in to healing is like being 10 minutes into a marathon”.
 
I really like that - 4 weeks in to healing is like being 10, minutes into a marathon! That so sums up recovery! Ok, can I steal that? :walking:
 
@Boxerdad67 I love that saying also!! I loved running but never tried a marathon. The most i ever did was 10 miles. I loved the camaraderie between the runners and I hope you are finding some of that same support here. A favorite saying on here is "just because you can doesn't mean you should" and it's so true with our recoveries.

It sounds like you are doing really well. You are dealing with everything and progressing. That had to be so worrisome when your feet were so cold, glad you got past that hurdle!!

And you walked outside! Everything is better after that!! :flwrysmile:
 
:wave:@Boxerdad67
My "Both at Once?!?" Friend.
Glad you were able to get some sunshine and you are doing just Great, in my opinion.
This IS the "fun" part for sure.
You seem alot more relaxed about things than I was...I was firing off questions about every odd sensation that cropped up and doing a good deal of whining.:) :-) (:
All temporary...
Steps are difficult but these are early days...so only do what you must and let those legs get some more healing done before you ask them to perform many new tricks.
You've got this.
Hope today is a Good Day.
 
:wave:@Boxerdad67
My "Both at Once?!?" Friend.
Glad you were able to get some sunshine and you are doing just Great, in my opinion.
This IS the "fun" part for sure.
You seem alot more relaxed about things than I was...I was firing off questions about every odd sensation that cropped up and doing a good deal of whining.:) :-) (:
All temporary...
Steps are difficult but these are early days...so only do what you must and let those legs get some more healing done before you ask them to perform many new tricks.
You've got this.
Hope today is a Good Day.
Thank you so much.
Big question????????
How long does the numbness over the surgical sites last? The left side more pronounced than the right. Thank you
 
The numbness was very pronounced on both sides for me.
It was a fairly large area even extended down the front of my quads and I am guessing very noticeable to me for the first two months. Like it was asleep.
Also some very suprising zips and zaps...so fleeting that I barely had time to wince. But "shocking"
Things waking up, I reckoned.
The area of numbness got smaller and smaller...but was still there at (my memory is a bit fuzzy) I think 6 months so I had all but determined the still noticeable patch on my right leg would be collateral damage. Certainly better than the horrid hip pain, so I would've been ok with it.
Not sure when it finally completely dissipated... but All normal now!
The link to my recovery thread is in my signature if you get hopelessly bored but Warning...lots of whining, wondering, and eventually elation as things improved!
 
Happy Friday to all hippies. Today has started out very good, cold but good. Walking uphill still with my walker but feeling good and pain gets less and mobility gets better with each passing day. Gotta find some steps to start traversing as that is one thing my OS said to do. Bandages slated to be peeled off in a couple more days. So a cane question, I’m 6’3 and a 36 inch cane is way to short, any suggestions please
Thanks to all for your support
 
Good Morning and a Happy Friday to you!
Brrr, cold here in the Upper Midwest also. It's too early for this!
Here's a little info on cane height. I hope it helps -

Stay warm and enjoy the weekend!
@Boxerdad67
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom