TKR Booger's Left Knee

Well hello Everyone,
Just wanted to do a little update. Still 0 extension and 123 flex all by my self. Doing som airdine for 10mins, nustep 10mins, stairmachine 3 mins. Just started this. I really need to move some more. Packin on the weight. At 265 now got down to 255 after surgery. But I'm hating the gain and not able to really do enough to lose weight justt yet. And it's the HOLIDAYS :censored: :tantrum2::hairpulling:

But other than that im still glad now that I got my new knee.

Thanks for everyones help here.
Booger
 
@Booger -overall great news! I get the weight gain is annoying but you gotta heal up and cannot do it all at once. I have zero patience so get it too! I read your posts for encouragement so thanks! Don’t be too hard on yourself-this is a doozie but as you said well worth it!
 
I do not feel it has been worth having yet. I still have more pain than I did before surgery. I am still early in the game. I know I will get there though. This recovery is a true test of patience,.
 
Don’t worry about the weight gain- its a normal part of getting a TKR and you can tackle it after your knee has healed .
Enjoy your Christmas:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
Just read your latest post........Wow, you are doing Great, Booger! O & 123.......that’s really impressive. I lost some ground with my infection, & am 6 extension & I think 112 or so ROM. but worked with our local place here today , & PT was pleased overall. Gave me some new exercises, so hopefully I can catch up before too long. I remember when you were struggling to get those numbers, & look at you now! Pat yourself on the back, my friend. I think you’re an inspiration to a lot of us...
 
Booger, you are doing great! I wouldn’t worry about the weight right now. As you become more active, you can focus on that! Keep up the good work! :)
 
Just read your latest post........Wow, you are doing Great, Booger! O & 123.......that’s really impressive. I lost some ground with my infection, & am 6 extension & I think 112 or so ROM. but worked with our local place here today , & PT was pleased overall. Gave me some new exercises, so hopefully I can catch up before too long. I remember when you were struggling to get those numbers, & look at you now! Pat yourself on the back, my friend. I think you’re an inspiration to a lot of us...
Oh but you have been through the ringer Sister. I cannot imagine how I would have dealt with what you had. But I'll keep prayin that you bounce right back. You made it through the evil infection. Now's your time to get passed this thing they said would be over in 8 to 12 weeks.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: they’re so crazy.
Keep on keepin on Catalien
Booger
 
I do not feel it has been worth having yet. I still have more pain than I did before surgery. I am still early in the game. I know I will get there though. This recovery is a true test of patience,.
In the same boat - progressing ok but still in more pain and discomfort than before the op. But yes we will get there and whilst it does test our patience we will keep going onward and upward!!
 
I think you have the right approach my limiting your exercise minutes right now. You can gradually increase as you continue to heal.
 
Hi everyone,
Pt yesterday told me that I'm going down to 1day a week. Get my evaluation monday and go to OS Wednesday probably for my go back to work.:tantrum2::hairpulling::headbang: date. But seem to be ok. Still having some pain when i go up steps and down. But it's all muscular so I will have to build it back. Still have the atrophy but im sure thats normal.

I hope everyone is good
Take care
Booger
 
I think you have done great Booger! I really struggle with my stairs too! I am so darn ungraceful going down. Do you feel ready to go back to work? I seem to remember your job is pretty physical with lots of stairs. You’ll prob do fine if your endurance is good. Mine is still not good and I am about a month ahead of you but thank goodness I am retired! Best of luck to you!
 
Good luck with your plans @Booger, be sure to be your own best advocate.

Just before surgery, my surgeon listed my return to work date as Dec 13th but I went back on Oct 11th with restrictions. My doctor restricted how long I could tolerate standing, sitting, walking and indicated how much I could safely lift with my return to work release. He also had me start with 1/2 days for a few weeks. Be sure to discuss restrictions with your care team that might help you successfully transition back into the full grind. Also consider if part time makes sense at first (I seem to recall that it might not work in your line).
 
Hi again! Booger, congratulations on your PT assessment! You are steady, you hang in there. I’m still seeing that turkey you did for Thanksgiving....., and some of your posts.... walking pretty long distances, sometimes no cane. You are tough! I’m thinking about what Hawkie suggested, maybe starting back part-time, if that’s possible, see how that goes? I haven’t worked an outside job for many years; my last job was working in our small woodworking business from our home with my husband ( loved it, & still miss some aspects of it). I just worry about you on those stairs. Keeping you in thoughts for all that to go well, & prayers for the decisions.

Thanks for your kind words about my situation, Booger. The infection & cleanout surgery was tough, but I feel like I’m past the worst now, & just having to learn that difficult concept of patience.. I’m slowly getting just a little better each day, and today at my Infectious Diseases Dr visit, she said that I was “right on track”. She said that the infection, the cleanout surgery, and, the IV antibiotics are all contributing to the fatigue, weakness& loss of appetite. that’s very normal. I’ll be starting an oral antibiotic 2 days after Christmas, that should help. And I’m back with our local PT, they work me well, but never hurt me. Working mostly on extension.
Today, when we went to get my PICC line dressing changed, I met a lady getting the same. Noting a contraption on her leg, I commented “ leg?” ( I assumed it was an immobilizer?). She replied, “ yes - this is my 3rd”. I asked, “ replacement?”. Turns out this is her Third replacement and infection. It sounds like her infection was a deep one, has come back. I felt SO bad for her. So I’m considering myself one of the fortunate ones. They got it early, before it got into the implant deep, & the infection was not real bad as far as they could tell. So I’m gonna keep truckin’ along, looking forward, thankful for all the support I have ( here, and my family & friends), and keep that poor lady in my prayers for this to be her last time.

It is cold & Blustery here, we had Strong winds buffeting us on our way home from the Dr, so no walking today! But I found my little old Fitbit, the little one that goes onto your waistband.... so gonna see how many steps our walk is tomorrow!
 
Yes. When we were growing up, Mama always said, “ if you start feeling sorry for yourself, just take a moment, look around, & there is always someone who has a tougher situation “. She lost her Mother when she was 6 months old to the 1919 pandemic, had breast cancer at 29, survived, but died at 43 after a 5 year battle with bone cancer. I’m fortunate to have this, and other bits of wisdom that she passed to us, & they often crop up when I need them. She was a wonderful example of strength & toughness.❤️
 
Well Everyone starting jan 3rd I'll be making crack cleaner again ( toilet paper ). My little joke :heehee: :rotfl: :snork:
Still gets stiff if i sit too long. Still weak and atrophied. Still swelled up some. Still use ice sometimes but not as much. But the steps and the having to walk around will be good for me. I think. The guys are gonna have me on controls for a couple of rotations so that 10 weeks. It's a little easier physically but mentally it sucks. Guess at least I'm off CHRISTMAS.

Booger
 
Forgot to add I got this cheap massage gun. Its great. But there are some spots i hit and it feels really weird. And one spot thats still deformed it hurts kinda. Its a muscular pain so probably still healing.
20211217_114337.jpg



MERRY CHRISTMAS
Too all of ya'll

Booger
 
@Booger. Happy for you to be heading back to work. I am sure you have missed your work buddies! I think you will do fine. Like everything else, it will take you a while to get adjusted back to working. When I went back after my PKR, they said they were going to “ take it easy on me” for a few weeks. That ended up being no more than 2 wks, lol! Oh well! I survived!
My daughter is getting me a massager for Christmas. I still have lots of discomfort in my quad and hamstring muscles. I still can’t believe how hard it is for me to go up stairs and worse going down. I know that quad takes a while to build back up!
Keep posting to us even when you go back to work! Thanks for your positive outlook and encouraging words!
 
Thanks @Sks1997
I'll definitely keep posting. Im still in the 1st part of the journey. I know ill still need support and have lots of questions. and yessss the hamstring and the quads take a hell of a hit. Mine is still shriveled up. Just going to have to walk and do my stairs. For exercise at 1st I hope.
Oh the massager is nice. Its just a cheap one from Macy's but it still going after about 2 weeks so we shall see. There are a few tender spots i have to just barely touch. Then theres the spot right below the knee to the inside. I can rub it with my fingers and i feel like little electrical pulses on the outer side kinda across from it. Really feels weird not really painful. kinda messes with my head.

Take care
Booger
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom