THR Boofit's recovery in Hong Kong

Yay,
Flights are scheduled and 5 weeks is a great amount of time to be there.
I've had grandchildren for 20 years now, last one is just 17 months so we keep up with baby stuff here. It's a good thing I had my kids when I was young.
Hope you see Calico on your walk, we had two little black kittens at kennel and they were adopted together, two little brothers, super cute. :kitty::kittymilk:
 
(Oh dear, I used 3 "on"s in one sentence!! Can't be motivated to change it - brain fog:oyvey:) .
Lol , you perfectionist you! I had to read your post several times in a hunt for the three ons sentence.

Actually I think it was 3 1/2, counting half for the “online” ;-)
 
Hi friends! So glad to see everyone is doing well. @Boofit making plane reservations! Yay! And @myglasshalffull as well! Nothing like seeing family and getting back to the scene of the crime lol. Please do be careful. I am crossing the pond in early October as well to France to spend some time with one of my best friends. I can't wait. I have been doing less walking and more strength training on most days. I have been pretty good most days but still kind of struggle with going up and down these damn stairs (mainly up). But really no complaints. I know everything will heal eventually. Still some soft tissue soreness and some tighness and stiffness but nothing like the pain before. @myglasshalffull did you ever end up getting that massage? I can't wait to hear about @Klassy's new puppy. Thank goodness we are all on our way to recovery.
Big hugs from DC!
 
Snoopy
Funny thing about the massage. It's one of those "small world" stories.
The lady I help at rescue center has a cousin who not only is massage therapist but also a PT and worked for chiropractor.
So she gave me her contact info and come to find out I know her husband and used to work with him. I've actually been in her company a couple of times at another friends house for a cookout some years ago.
So I'm going next week, first appt I could get between my schedule and hers. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sunday is your 7 month anniversary...where did the time go???
France sounds wonderful!!!
Our friends left for Alaska today, they wanted us to go but there would be no way I could keep up with all the hiking right now. I love all that nature stuff but they have been looking forward to this trip for 3 years, it kept getting postponed due to Covid. I didn't want to be the one to hold anyone back from what their activities were so we are home until February. Plus I love this time of year in New England.
Klassy,
When does the puppy arrive?:doggie:
Boofit,
Did you see Calico???:yellowcat:
Stay well my hippie friends!
 
I am distressed...:cry:

Boofit,
Did you see Calico???:yellowcat:
Yes @myglasshalffull , I saw her on Thursday when I went on my "long" walk on my usual trail. She led me to where her babies were, all three of them. I felt so good about it and was planning on visiting them again on Sunday (I am doing two long walks weekly to strengthen my hip). See pic of Calico and her 3 kittens.

BUT
Early this morning I received some texts and pics from other friends who also walk that trail and are friends with the cats there. At least 2 of Calico's babies were found dead on the trail. There are wild dogs and boars on this trail, and apparently her babies could not run or escape fast enough. I will not post pics of the dead kittens here, they are too painful to see.

I am going tomorrow to see if I can find her, and perhaps also look for her remaining baby. It is not the first time this has happened. Early this year, a few months before my surgery I actually picked up 2 of her dead kittens from an earlier litter on the trail when I went walking at around 5:30am. I sat on the side of the trail crying for over half an hour with their bodies next to me, whilst Calico stood in the bushes nearby watching me, not moving. Passers by stopped to ask me what was wrong, they probably thought my husband (who was with me) was bullying me!
I was walking that trail daily at that time (to strengthen my leg muscles before my surgery), and a couple of days later when I went to feed Calico, she took a few bites then turned her back less than 2 feet away from me, hunched over, and started making a low moaning sound. I shall never forget that sound, I think she was crying.

Poor Calico.......
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Boofit's recovery in Hong Kong
    Calico and kittens.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Went for a walk (around 5k) before 6am this morning on my usual trail (paved, but with slopes) and only used a cane. Around 2 weeks ago I could not quite manage walking that distance using 2 hiking poles, but today I used a cane, took smaller steps and walked at a slower pace. Stopped to rest/chat with people and to offer treats to a couple of cats along the way. It is still very hot in Hong Kong (around 36 degrees centigrade), but there was a breeze and a whiff of Autumn in the air on the trail.

Met some "regulars", one of them (whom we had not met since my THR) said "Oh, you've put on some weight!" and then tried to backpedal by saying "Ah, it suits you.." Poor guy:heehee: - My weight is creeping up slowly, I now weigh 7lbs more than I did before the operation, so now I feel I must try to be more physically active and cut down on my comfort foods......

And today I also learnt from another regular that one of Calico's kitties is alive!:happydance::catdance: I was shown videos taken last night of mom and child feeding. But Calico and kitty have moved to another spot further down the trail and I could not find them today as I don't think I could walk the distance. I hope my leg gets stronger and maybe this coming Sunday I will increase the distance to see if I can find them. Will add wall squats to what I am currently doing.

I am still experiencing slight pain in the hip every now and then, but a low level pain.
I feel stiff in my back and left hip in particular after sitting for over 1-2 hours.
My back pain also comes up every now and then but it is more of a dull ache.
The tingling sensations down the lower leg are present from time to time when I stand and when I side bend to the left.
As for pain medication, I am only taking Paracetamol (Tylenol) - sometimes 1gram twice a day, sometimes 500mg twice a day.

And my muscles appear flaccid...:sad:
 
That’s good news about Calico’s kitten.

I know you know this, but… please take care not to overdo it. Flaccid muscles are only to be expected. There is plenty of time to rebuild them, and trying to push too quickly will only slow down the progress. Been there, done that!
 
Didn't go for my walk this morning, woke up at 5am but didn't feel like doing it.

Spent 30 minutes in bed doing my exercises before getting up. The hip seems to be improving, but not my eyesight unfortunately. I sat in front of the computer the entire day yesterday, forgetting to get up or give my eyes a rest, and this morning I have some blurred vision in my left eye!
 
Last edited:
Calico is such a beautiful kitty. I do hope she and her remaining kitten are able to survive.

Boofit....do be sure you're not overdoing the walking and exercising. Thirty minutes of exercises plus a 3-mile walk (in addition to your regular activities of daily living) might be a bit much right now. I know you're eager to get on with life. But if you continue to have these pains, try scaling back either the exercises or your walks for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.
 
Yes @Jamie , I MUST remember not to overdo the walking and exercise. I am so disgusted with my flaccid butt and thighs though. But you are absolutely right, I certainly do not want to take a step forward only to fall back 2 steps!

September has been an exceptionally busy month for me, but it feels good to come onto this forum and see how my online friends are doing! This forum is such a good "aid" for people who have had or about to have joint replacement surgeries!
 
Went for a walk on the trail this morning. Saw my friends :meow::kittymilk::kitty:.

Calico has moved to another spot further down the trail (since 2 of her babies were killed in her original spot) and this morning she came to greet me with her remaining one. She doesn't "talk" much anymore, and the small one is super scared of everything, especially dogs and humans. There have been sightings last week (and photo evidence) of a 12' snake killing another cat (a really friendly guy who allowed anyone to pet him), so I hope these 2 stay out of the snake's way...

Walked further than my usual daily distance for these couple of months, mainly because Calico has moved further down the trail. So ended up doing around 7k. I had a cane with me, but decided to start training myself to walk without the cane on the trail. Managed to do a bit but the operated leg was achy (I believe caused by weak muscles), so continued mainly walking using the cane, especially on the slopes, and tried walking without the cane on the flatter surfaces. Am back home now, and the hip seems ok.

Am planning on increasing my morning trail walks to 3 times a week.
 
Happy to hear Calico has survived with at least one of her kittens, it's quite common for Momma cats to move their kittens if they sense danger.
My GF has several ferals and when they have kittens she tries to round them up and get them fixed/adopted. Momma cat has figured this out and now doesn't bring the babies around creating a bigger problem, she's trying to get Momma cat captured, spayed then re-released. We have organizations here that will do that.
Walking is great, always loved walking and now that fall is here in New England and temps are cooler walking is so refreshing.
 
Spent about 5 hours (with only brief bouts of sitting down, each lasting no more than 3 to 4 minutes) on my feet yesterday working at a Children's Fun Day event. Had a quick breakfast at the Club around 7:30am and did not get to sit down to lunch till almost 2pm. BUT, the event was most successful, and the testament is the joy on the faces of the underprivileged young kids who seemed to have had a wonderful time.

I was delighted to discover that I could walk about without my walking cane for a lot of time during those 5 hours! I was helping to prepare the venue, and had a time deadline as the participants were to arrive at around 10am and there was quite a lot to do. I was walking up and down the hall, carrying stuff, helping arrange items, hang banners etc and decided to dispense with my walking stick because I literally had my hands full! Then I was MC and had to stand for most of the time. I did feel tired every now and then, but didn't feel pain.

Paid the price later, with aching in my hip throughout the night. Not too bad, a sort of level 3 ache, but enough for me to cancel my today's morning walk to go see my friends on the trail. Have not been doing much today, just sitting around and eating and watching TV! I have an Opthamologist's appointment tomorrow at 9:45am, but I will try to do a short walk early in the morning to visit Calico and her kitten before setting off to have my eyes seen to.

I feel my hip is getting stronger as I approach the 4 month mark. BUT, I need to remind myself not to overdo it......
 
Boofit,
It's so easy to overdo when you are feeling better and when you can walk with no assistive devices I think we all tend to do more than we should.
However, we now have experience on our side and know enough to take it easy next day and regroup.
Congrats on a successful event, it feels so good to contribute to others well being.
Stay well.
 
Spent about 5 hours (with only brief bouts of sitting down, each lasting no more than 3 to 4 minutes) on my feet yesterday working at a Children's Fun Day event.
Well, after those hours spent on my feet on Saturday, my hip complained with a level 3 ache at night and I thought it wise to skip my Sunday long walk.
BUT, I missed seeing Calico, so on Monday and Tuesday (yes, I did around 5km both days in a row), I went to see her. It was lovely, as she brought her kitty out to see me as well. My hip did not complain on Monday, nor throughout the rest of Tuesday, but at 1am on Wednesday, she sent a loud and clear message. I was woken by throbbing level 3 pain in my upper thigh and at the upper hip region (the trochanteric area). It wasn't too bad, but it was pain nevertheless and it stayed at level 2 to 3 levels.

So for the last few days I have been just pottering about my home, not doing much. Gone back to taking Paracetamol 1gm twice a day. Today it feels better - maybe because it knows I am going to post my 4 month report soon:heehee:

It does seem that even a few months out from surgery I can still experience such deep aching if I push my hip past whatever it could currently do...
 
My GF has several ferals and when they have kittens she tries to round them up and get them fixed/adopted. .... she's trying to get Momma cat captured, spayed then re-released. We have organizations here that will do that.

@myglasshalffull , I just received a text from friends that Calico and her kitty have been rounded up last night and taken to a vet who will spay and neuter! They took a pic of the two of them in the cage. I don't know what will then happen to them after they leave the vet, whether kitty will be adopted and Momma re-released, but I am feeling that is probably a good thing to happen:fingersx:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Boofit's recovery in Hong Kong
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-01 at 8.05.48 PM.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 54
4 Months Update (LTHR done on 2 June 2022 - lateral approach)

Pain Medication
Have been just taking Panadol (Tylenol for my N American friends) 1g once or twice a day and have been tapering off in the last couple of weeks to just the occasional Panadol 500mg maybe once a day.
But probably used my operated hip too much last Saturday and then again last Monday and Tuesday and now am back on 1000mg Panadol twice a day.

Another thing which may be contributing to the increased pain in my butt and upper lateral thigh is that I sprained my lower back on the left side about 10 days ago and felt a deep ache in my butt.

I believe all this is muscle and soft tissue pain, although (like many hippies I guess) I did have fears that it might be a loose stem or some structural issue because the ache seems like a very deep one, and concentrated in the upper lateral thigh region. I told the OS at my last appointment on 26 August that I had some pain in my upper thigh and was worried about stem loosening, but the doctor looked at the Xrays and said it looked fine to him. So this seems to support my thinking that this is soft tissue pain.
Today the ache seems less, but it may be due to the 1000mg Panadol that I am taking twice a day.
I had a Blood Test for Cardio appointment a couple of weeks later. The results are out. My ALP levels are low, wondering if that has any bearing on the healing process.



The Un-operated Hip and right shoulder
At the last doctor's appointment, I was placed on the waiting list for my right hip.
These weeks the un-operated hip has been behaving well and hasn't complained at all. I hope it stays that way. I am going to Sydney to visit my daughter and I hope I can be pain free and mobile!! My hope is also for the right hip to have more good days for the next 2 years, so that I can go hiking again before I need another THR.


Now that I am not bearing so much weight on my right side when walking, I do not have right shoulder pain. It no longer aches when I sleep on the un-operated Right side.


Spasms, and Swelling
I have been taking magnesium pills and drinking tonic water and have not had spasms for some weeks now. Hoping it stays that way :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx:

There is still a small lump at my incision area and my scar started feeling itchy about 10 days ago (not earlier!)
L leg still laterally rotated @15°, but I am not bothered by it.


Exercises and Walking
For a few weeks before 24 September, I could walk 5 to 7km two to three times a week using a cane most of the time on mild hilly paved terrain. However, I had a minor set-back recently because I did too much standing and walking on 24 September and now am back to just doing walking for daily activities and resting more.
I no longer use the crutch, but still keep the cane for walking outdoors.

I have not been exercising or doing much walking for the past 3 days and will continue to rest my hip for another couple of days.

I am walking at home without aids and without a limp. Outdoors I still walk with a cane sometimes, especially if not on flat ground.
Stairs: can do alternate steps without holding onto rails for at least 20 to 25 steps. Up and down.


Still continuing with
• Bridges in bed (10 times twice a day);
• Straight leg raises (10 times a day);
• Toe raises (10 to 20 times a day to train calf muscles);
• Hip abduction in standing with support (10 to 20 times twice a day);
• Marching in standing with support (about 50 steps twice a day) ;
• Upper limb exercises.

some stretchings
low cobra pose
cat and cow
Quadriceps and Hamstrings stretch

The above exercises feel easy and are entirely pain free.



Sleep
I like sleeping with lots of pillows around, but can sleep without them too. Have always had some sleeping issues (probably in my genes) but only need to take pills every now and then to help with sleep.
Lying on my operated side is possible too, but I can still feel mild discomfort in the incision and trochanteric (upper lateral thigh) area.


ADL and ROM
Weight gain of 8 lbs - it is slowly creeping up!!! I think it is the lack of exercise and the increased lunches/dinners with friends that is causing it...
ADL resumed normal.

I feel my recovery is slower than what I expected, but so far I am satisfied with the progression. I am hoping that in another month or so, I will be more or less pain free and walking without aids for most of the time. My flight to Sydney is in November, so hopefully.... :fingersx:

And by the way, Hong Kong is opening up! Last week the government announced that there will be no need to quarantine in a hotel upon arrival. This has led to huge numbers of local residents rushing to book flights. Prices have soared...

Hope everything returns to normal soon....
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom