Guest viewing is limited

THR Boofit's recovery in Hong Kong

Nine and a half weeks post op now. Like @myglasshalffull I have been interspersing long walk days with rest days and since 10 days ago have done 3 longish (5km) walks with rest days in between. I do exercises (the ones I posted at my 8 week update #255 ) at home on the rest days. I am adopting a careful approach.
So far so good. But I am alarmed at how much my muscles have wasted.

The hard lump at the incision site has been decreasing in size. I haven't been doing anything to it, I think it is some sort of benign fluid collection and my body is getting rid of it gradually. It was originally the size of half a small papaya causing me quite a bit of concern:praying:

My leg cramps have quietened down in the last 10 days or so:fingersx::fingersx: Did enjoy some gherkins and tonic water along the way... Thanks @Zoebichon !


The Hong Kong government announced a relaxation of its quarantine rules yesterday, the 7 days mandatory hotel quarantine period for travellers arriving from overseas has been cut to 3. Lots of my friends on social media groups are now planning their holidays. I would like to travel to visit my daughter who lives in Australia sometime before the end of this year, I have not seen her since the end of 2019 and miss her and am wondering whether I should start planning my trip now. I am guessing it should be okay for me to travel by that time.:chinstroke:
 
Last edited:
That's a long time to not see your daughter, hopefully you will get to visit soon.
Happy to hear you are walking and exercising and doing well.
Love my walks, I do about 3 miles, it's been so hot and humid here for about 2 weeks I don't enjoy being outside as much but I think weather is supposed to break late today. I just can't stand the high humidity.
It's "air you wear."
Enjoyed nice day on lake yesterday with our friends.
Have next two days to ourselves and looking forward to some one on one time.
 
Typhoon Mulan paid a short visit to Hong Kong. She arrived on Tuesday and the Observatory hoisted the number 1 (lowest signal) in the morning and 6 hours later upgraded it to a number 3. Typhoon Mulan was quite mild but brought a lot of rain and some very heavy thunderstorms to Hong Kong. At 6:20pm yesterday (Wednesday), all typhoon signals were cancelled as Mulan moved away from Hong Kong and made landfall in the Mainland of China. This is the typhoon season for Hong Kong and last month we had a severe one where the signal number 8 was hoisted. Even though a typhoon may have left Hong Kong, its outer rain bands often bring heavy squally showers and thunderstorms which could last for some days.

I took a peek out of my windows early this morning at around 5:30 and saw that it wasn't raining, so hubby and I went off for our 5km walk on the trail where my cat friends frequent.
We walked at a slightly faster pace as there were some dark clouds looming not so far away and sure enough very soon it started pouring. BUT, before the rain arrived, I got to meet my friend Calico (who actually came bounding down the trail to greet me when I called out to her). She is no longer afraid of my crutch, but is still afraid of umbrellas, so when it started to rain I told hubby to take away the umbrella and both she and I stood talking in the rain (she was on the third step of some steps and I was at ground level, so we were sort of at eye level with each other) for some time whilst she ate temptation treats out of my hand.

So I was soaked, but happy.
And I am thinking of maybe increasing the longer walks to three times a week. I can feel my leg getting stronger slowly.

Cutting down on Painkillers
Since Monday, (3 days ago), I am only taking 1000mg Paracetamol (Tylenol) once a day after dinner for pain. I don't feel much pain during the daytime and the pain in my un-operated hip has quietened down as well. I do have some pain in my right shoulder muscles which seems to be more pronounced at night when I lie on my right side.

Slow and steady, and with a little help from my friends...:kitty: (I actually have more friends further down this trail, but Calico is the one that talks to me most).
 
Last edited:
What a sweet treat, a lovely walk and a visit from Calico.
Sounds like you are doing very well.
 
I think I walked a bit too much yesterday, I was expecting to see Calico, but when I couldn't find her I went further and ended up doing a total of approximately 8km... Saw some of my other friends, but not Calico:sad:, and was experiencing some mild pain and exhaustion in the final 2km when walking back to the car.
Iced when I returned.

Then, since I had people coming over for dinner (it was my son's birthday), I was walking around my home much more than usual (trips to and from kitchen mostly before and during dinner, standing at the kitchen counter doing stuff etc. ) without any aids, so ended up limping and hubby being very annoyed:no-fin::hairpulling: He kept saying: just tell me what to do, you should be sitting down!!!
And I kept jumping up whenever I thought of something that needed doing before he could do anything about it.:heehee:

Not really that funny I know, and I ended up taking extra Paracetamol because I felt VERY tired and had soreness in that operated leg.
Not quite a member of the ODIC but probably at its doors...

So today is a rest day - no exercises, only walking around my home with a cane mostly, and probably more icing and more chocolates. Hubby has gone sailing (it is a glorious day) and is calling from time to time to "check in" on me...

Am hoping I can go look for Calico tomorrow, or more likely, the day after tomorrow .....
 
but when I couldn't find her I went further and ended up doing a total of approximately 8km...
oh my lord that is almost 5 miles!! That is alot in one day and add your sons birthday party. oh boy. Yup you need to take it easy the next few days. I haven't walked that much in one day yet. Even today we went to an estate here in DC called Dumbarton Oaks which has an unbelievable garden and absolutely everything was blooming because we have had so much rain here, I was sore from all the walking. If you have the interest look it up on google. It is so breathtakingly beautiful I wanted to stay for hours but they were closing and I had my 97 year old father in law with me (he is totally fine btw and kept mentioning if I needed to sit down lol). Anyway I hope you will take the next couple of days to rest up. Don't want hubby mad at ya:)
 
Boofit and Snoopy,
We've all joined that club during this process!
We went to a clambake yesterday noon-5, I was in bed at 7!!!
Great time and weather, but same, lots of walking around they had antique cars there plus a bunch of motorcycles, great band and I never miss an opportunity to dance.
Rest day today!!!
 
So far, I have avoided entering the doors of the ODIC:egypdance:

Had a narrow escape yesterday though - I was bending over to inspect something in a tenant's unit and then forgot about my THR and did a full squat down to fix it:yikes: I immediately felt "something" in my operated hip, but it was more of an ache than a sharp pain. Stood up immediately thinking "OMG!! Did I dislocate my hip:shocked:???"
Then remembered what I had read on this forum - about people saying there will be SHARP and continuous level 10 type pain if the hip is dislocated. (Thank goodness for this forum! I would otherwise have been a total nervous wreck....) Went home, felt there was some soreness within the hip (felt like something had been stretched a bit too much), so lay down and iced for a while. Strangely, the foot and leg cramps kept coming on whilst I was icing, so I took some magnesium and drank a glass of tonic water and hubby helped massage my leg till the spasms subsided.
I think I am ok now.

For the last week I have not been walking too much (after walking for around 8km and standing around for quite some time last Sunday 14th August). I have been only averaging around 2 km a day with some gentle exercises: bridges, SLRs, side abductions etc. So far, all good.

Two days ago (21 August, a Sunday), I resumed walking on the trail to find my cat friend Calico. Walked with a crutch for around 5km without problem. Had a good chat with her and she was happy with the treats I offered.

Went again this morning, another 5km. The inclines on that trail seem to be getting easier, so I guess that is a sign that my leg muscles are getting stronger.
I probably won't be able to go for my morning walks for the next few days. A strong typhoon is said to be approaching Hong Kong directly according to the Observatory's weather chart and news reports. Hubby's sailing for Wednesday is going to be cancelled as well and the storm is expected to hit Hong Kong directly on Wednesday/Thursday.

On Friday I have my 3 month post-op appointment and have to get X-rays taken before the appointment. Will report back! :) :-) (:
 
I probably won't be able to go for my morning walks for the next few days. A strong typhoon is said to be approaching Hong Kong directly according to the Observatory's weather chart and news reports.
Sounds threatening! Stay safe and good luck with your three month post op appointment on Friday.
 
I know what you mean! But seriously? Roasted chicken?? In our dreams here in the US!
My surgeon performs his surgeries in Doylestown PA and in a surgi center, with a 2 night stay (I stayed 1 night ) in a suite with hotel amenities. I walked to the dining room and also had chicken, but it was Chicken Marsala. No thigh to cut. :) They catered the meals. It was nice. If I decide on hip 2, I’ll stay 2 nights. Lol
 
Week 12 Update (LTHR done on 2 June 2022 - lateral approach)

Post-op Pain Medication
Have not been taking NSAIDS since week 8. Now I am just taking Panadol (Tylenol for my N American friends) 1mg once or twice a day.

Pain
The muscles of the operated hip feels sore from time to time, especially after a longer distance walk, or after sitting for a long period of time. But it is generally a level 1 to under-2 pain, more of a discomfort than pain and can be ignored most of the time. I also have occasional pain in the butt, which could be caused by piriformis tightness but I am not comfortable doing piriformis stretches at this stage of my THR. I think @CricketHip advised sitting on a ball of socks when I first mentioned my soreness in the butt earlier in this thread, so I am doing this and it seems to help (after a THR, I prefer this than sitting on a tennis ball:heehee:)

I still limp from time to time, and that is usually a sign for me to go back using my cane/crutch. I cannot walk for long distances yet. Without aids at home I can walk about 50 steps in one go now.

The un-operated hip seems to be still okay in terms of pain and mobility. It seems to be following the early days pattern of the operated hip, where there were good days and bad days. My hope is for it to have more good days for the next 2 years, so that I can go hiking again before I need another THR.
Xrays taken on Friday 26 August show that there is still some space in the right hip joint between the head of femur and the acetabular cup, although OA changes are clearly visible too.

The right shoulder pain is at level 2 usually. It aches when I sleep on the un-operated Right side, and is painful when I bear more weight on my cane.


Spasms, and Swelling
My foot and lower leg spasms continue to cause me problems. Luckily it is not a daily occurrence, more like 3 or 4 times a week.
The tightness in my left ankle and left quadriceps have mostly disappeared.

The incision area still hard and lumpy but the lumpy area is decreasing in size.
L leg still laterally rotated @15°, but I am not bothered by it.
Initially I was concerned about the large lump at my hip region and the lateral rotation of around 40° (I think), but over the weeks the lump has gone down in size and the lateral rotation has decreased as well.


Exercises and Walking
I have increased my walking and exercises in the past week, and plan on continuing doing so. My lower limb muscles are visibly atrophied and are definitely weakened, so it is time to start slowly building up and doing resistance exercises.

Since 2 weeks ago, I started doing longer walks (averaging 5-6km) twice a week, and doing around 2 to 3 km on days when I am not doing the longer walks. For the longer walks I use a single crutch (tried hiking poles but probably not ready for them for longer distances due to my right shoulder pain), and for shorter outdoor distances, I use a cane.
I walk unaided within my home.
Unless I am tired, I do not have any Trendelenberg gait.

Since the 8 week mark, I have been doing
• Bridges in bed (10 times twice a day);
• Straight leg raises (10 times a day);
• Toe raises (10 to 20 times a day to train calf muscles);
• Hip abduction in standing with support (10 to 20 times twice a day);
• Marching in standing with support (about 50 steps twice a day) ;
• Upper limb exercises.

Have also added some stretchings since yesterday:
low cobra pose
cat and cow
Quadriceps and Hamstrings stretch


All new exercises are being added on slowly and gradually. The aim is to improve circulation, restore joint mobility, decrease the likelihood of adhesions forming and restore normal gait. And importantly, also to gradually strengthen my lower limb muscles so as to prevent injury and also prepare for a possible THR on the right side some where down the road.
I will not push to the point of pain as I believe it will be counter-productive.


Sleep
I can lie on my un-operated side with no problem. I sleep on my side with a pillow between knees (plus lots of other pillows of different sizes and shapes around).
Lying on my operated side is possible too, but I can feel mild soreness in the incision and trochanteric area, (sort of like lying on a squash ball) so it doesn't feel entirely comfortable.


ADL and ROM
Weight gain of 6 lbs. Will have to monitor that!! (It's the chocs, cookies, ice-cream and lack of exercise that is causing it...)
ADL resumed normal and I can now put on my socks. Haven't tried cutting my toe nails yet though.

Have resumed my usual work with a Charity Foundation, am helping in organising two events in September (one for retired Mariners and the other for underprivileged children) , and am also managing my tenancy matters.
So, life is pretty much back to normal! And returning to a busy "retired" routine (which includes shopping, lunches/dinners with friends, etc of course:happydance::beer:).
 
Last edited:
Went for my 12 week post-op appointment on Friday 26th August.

Had X-rays taken in the morning, A-P (Anterior/Posterior) and lateral, both hips.
Then went for a lovely dim sum lunch (ate too much as usual:heehee:, hubby said - never mind, enjoy the food first and diet later).

My Orthopaedic appointment was at 3:30pm, so we lingered after lunch at the restaurant until it was time to go to the hospital. Both the restaurant and hospital were in the Shatin district (which is about an hours' drive in smooth traffic from where we live), so we did not bother coming home in the interval.

Had an excellent doctor's appointment.
I am on the public health system (much like the NHS) and was assigned to a Dr Lo, but my OS Professor Ho and the Orthopaedic Team Head Professor Ong were in the vicinity in deep discussion over some matter. They saw me with Dr Lo and they both stopped what they were doing, took an interest in my progress and asked to see me walk without aids. They thought I was making good progress and cleared me for long distance travel by plane (I hope to travel to Australia in November to visit my daughter who is expecting her first). The two professors said I should wear compression tights during the flight to prevent DVT, but added my husband and I should be more worried about catching COVID on the flight (now that the numbers are rising again in Hong Kong). Professor Ho said with such good progress, maybe I should consider having the other hip done sooner if it was giving me a lot of trouble.

So Dr Lo has now put me on the waiting list for the other hip to be done. He showed me the X-rays. The right hip is not yet bone on bone although there are visible OA changes. The pain is still in the "on and off" stage, so I am not an urgent case yet. (Plus, I hope to be able to hike in the next couple of years with my husband and strengthen my hip muscles before having the next THR). He said the X-rays of the operated hip show that all is well and the mild pain I have been experiencing appear to be normal.

Next appointment will be 6 months later, in Feb 2023.

Wishing all a good weekend and week ahead!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Boofit, it’s great to hear that you are doing so well and that your appointment was so positive. Making progress all the time, even slowly, is all good.

I’m glad that you have been put on the list for your second hip and I hope that it doesn’t become too bothersome before you have it done. I had to pay privately for my hip and for the second in October because the NHS is in a pickle with elective surgeries so it’s good that you have the public health system doing yours.

A trip to see your daughter sounds so exciting and November will come quickly.
 
Sounds like appt went very well and lunch sounded even better!
Love hearing that no return doctor visit until February 2023, that's awesome.
Hope you have a wonderful trip to visit your daughter in November, be here before you know it.
We will vacation once again in February for 2 weeks on the islands. I will celebrate my one year hip surgery there!!! Returning to "scene of the crime!"
Stay well.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Wow...can you believe it's been three months already? Hopefully you continue to enjoy steady progress and you're slowly getting back to all you love. Have a wonderful end of the week!
@Boofit
 
@Layla , thank you! Time is indeed passing by quickly these recent weeks. And yes, life is returning to normal for me. It is almost 9am here in Hong Kong and I will be setting off in half an hour's time to help in a Charity event for retired old mariners. 3 months ago I was thinking I would not be able to do it and was considering maybe just being there, not helping. But I think I can be "working" today:ok:
Towards the end of this same month, I am organising another event for underprivileged young kids, and that involves quite a lot of preparation work, and I feel I am up to it :yes!:(have some good friends helping too). These underprivileged children live in one of the poorest parts of Hong Kong, and many live beneath the poverty line. I grew up poor (hated my childhood, was very unhappy then) but life has been very good to me, so I hope to do what little I can to bring some joy to these children.
 
Boofit, congratulations on your progress!
It’s such a great feeling, isn’t it.
That’s good about preparing for the other hip, I hope the timing is just as you want it.
How exciting for a grand baby too!
This all sounds like you are getting your life back to normal!

I must say that I wish that I only had 6 pounds to worry about! :groan:
 
Last edited:
Just popped in to see how you are doing. Wonderful news all round! I hope you make that trip to Australia and enjoy your hiking. It’s good that you have things in train to get that second hip sorted in due course, and for now you can get on with living life as it should be.
 
That's a long time to not see your daughter, hopefully you will get to visit soon.
@myglasshalffull , yay! We've now got our flights sorted out. Will be travelling down to Sydney in November and staying for 5 weeks. Looking forward to this indeed:dancy: It's been such a long time since I took care of my own babies, I am not sure I remember how to do things anymore...
I went and bought Rapid Antigen Test kits this morning. The plan is to self quarantine ourselves for a few days upon arrival and take the RATs. Both my husband and I took the 4th shot in May this year, but read somewhere that the shots last for about 6 months before one needs a booster. We don't think the 5th shot will be available in Hong Kong before we leave for Sydney though.

That’s good about preparing for the other hip, I hope the timing is just as you want it.
@CricketHip , It's really a case of man proposes, God disposes, imo. So many factors come into play.... Right now, my hope is for my right hip to last for another 1 to 2 years before it gets to the "constantly in pain" stage. This would also allow me time to build up the muscles - I do believe that pre-hab is just as, if not more, important as re-hab.:cheers:


:flwrysmile:Hi @Klassy , good to hear from you!!! I have been following your thread, and was so pleased to hear you clocked 17,000 steps!! I have to say that I giggled when I mentally pictured you in the pet shop sniffing for dried tripe and bull testicles:heehee:.


I'm having one of my insomnia nights. I did fall asleep for a couple of hours, then woke up plagued by anxiety about an hour ago. Rather than let my thoughts race through my worries, I decided to come here. It feels good reading about the progress of my online friends, and @Zoebichon 's recent post with her avatar showing her on a hike on Mt Rainer on such a glorious day has indeed made me happy:SUNsmile: . Reading her post gives me hope that I probably can soon go on long hikes when we travel overseas!
(Oh dear, I used 3 "on"s in one sentence!! Can't be motivated to change it - brain fog:oyvey:) .

Have set the alarm for 5am as I plan to go on a morning walk on a trail to meet my friends :kitty::kittymilk::meow:
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom