THR Blessings of a miraculous recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @younghippie

Thanks for reading my miraculous recovery! It's been almost 4 mos & I'm doing fantastic. Wishing you the best. When is your surgery? Glad you're asking lots if questions.

Some of my experiences re: the many questions you've asked:
Icing- I loved the old fashioned ice bag that they gave me at the hospital (screw on lid, cloth covered bag), that along with a heating pad for my back were my bff's. I'd take the ice bag w me in the car to ice, or restaurants. Prior to surgery, I once used a soft, plastic pack, without a towel, or covering when I went to bed. I woke up in the morning and found I had literally burned myself. Felt a bit sensitive like a 1st degree burn and did scar. Never had a problem with the cloth bag, tho.

Anesthesia - recommend a regional, not general. Avoids the nausea and illl-after effects. I met the anesthesiologist and asst. in the pre-op room. An IV was started there. I must have knocked out before entering the op room, as all I remember was being wheeled down the hall, and then waking up in the pre/post op area. I recommend asking for the same as I have no idea what the op rm looked like and am glad I didn't have to experience the sights and sounds of such. Sounds like you'd love to avoid the same. My OS had greeted me earlier in pre op.

Infection - at the joint replacement pre-surgery class, we were given anti bacterial cleansing sop to wash with the 2 days prior & morning of surgery. In addition, you were warned not to shave (avoid Knicks & cuts). Once in ore op, I had to wipe down my entire body with anti bacterial wipes (brrrr cold). In addition, they swabbed my nostrils w antibacterial solution. I believe it depends upon the hospital protocol, but I appreciated all of the precautions taken. Bandages - post op- just prior to my discharge, the nurse changed my bandages. My wound was covered with a waterproof patch and I was able to shower immediately, no restrictions:). The waterproof patch stayed on for 13 days until my first post op. this helped to keep the wound protected and I believe clean. At the post op appt, the bandage was removed and left open (wound was closed) and steri strips stayed on until they fell off on their own.

@FLgirlie (thrilled you're doing great!!)in agreement with her, and which seems contrary to many at bonesmart, please heed the advice and do PT ASAP. She is absolutely right about regaining range of motion, strengthening the muscles, properly stretching. Finding the right PT is critical. They are so knowledgable and can help you to understand the reasons you may have pain, but will give you the proper exercises and massages to resolve the areas of need. Definitely do not overdo and do not be in pain. With the right PT, you will feel great, after each session - I feel pampered - like a workout w a personal trainer each time. I go to the best PT group and continue still today. I am a firm believer in pre-op PT and post-op PT. (I went for 2 mos prior to surgery. Although I was in pain, I worked through it, figuring the pain would be soon be gone with surgery, and why not build back some strength and flexibility after much atrophy from lack of use. I strongly believe this contributed to my quick recovery. My OS approved pre-op PT). My OS believes PT is a must.

To all, trusting you're blessed with smooth recoveries...to those looking forward to surgery...peace as you seek & wait. Xo
 
I really feel that all my "pre-op" training helped feel much better both before and after. Went to therapy for awhile which increased range of motion as best it could be. Also swam for cardio and building stamina and did some arm strengthening exercises which really paid off for the extra arm lifting. Practicing with cane before made my arms surprising sore, and I am happy to not be dealing with it now.


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Hibbe Thanks for all of the great tips! Very useful!!! My date is set for May 6. Did they require you to remove any toenail/fingernail polish?
 
I am so happy for you @Hibbe .
Your recovery is just super.
I am hopeful for same this week.....
 
Your recovery story is so inspirational to me. I had printed it out. When I start to get scared I pull it out and read it to calm me down. I only hope mine will be half as good as yours:) keep up the amazing work. I noticed you built up your muscles before. I realized how weak my left muscles in the front of my thigh are.. Any suggestions?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@psychteach thank you for your kind words. I truly hope you have a smooth and speedy recovery, too. I know that you are well-prepared as you've been here on bonesmart. We never know what our unique experience will hold, but I trust that your fears will be relieved and will soon turn to excitement that your day can't come soon enough :).

Is there a chance your OS can prescribe pre-op (my PT calls it pre-hab) PT? It would be great for you to have the experts advise you! Alternatively, check the web & YouTube for hip replacement pre-op exercises. Here's a page with great basic exercises.
https://www.trinitashospital.org/total-hip-pre-operative-exercises.htm
Most importantly don't overdo (my PT did not want me in pain, however, I will admit I worked thru pain because, I wanted to build up strength and figured my pain will go away after surgery). I believe it all contributed to a speedy recovery. I did all of these exercises pre & post surgery. Am still doing them as prescribed by PT, 4 mos after surgery. So know they are important basic exercises.

You don't have to use an elastic band.
Good form is important - standing straight, shoulders relaxed, core/abdomen taut/engaged. BREATHE throughout the exercises!
Very important: GLUTES engaged on all exercises. If you need to hold onto a chair, then use one hand and place other hand on your glute /butt. Feel the muscle engage/tighten - then do the leg extensions/abductions.

Leg raises -toes to your nose & squeeze/tighten thigh muscle (quads) when raising leg. Again, assure glutes engaged.

I did not realize how VERY critical the strength of my glutes are for healthy hips and back. You can do all the exercises and they may seem easy, but if you're using proper form & engaging the muscles, you feel the difference.

Additional exercises:
hamstring stretch - towel or strap or band around foot & in hand. stretch out leg, straighten out knee. both sides 3 x hold 30 sec
piriformis stretch - lay on back, cross right foot over flexed left knee/thigh (like #4 shape). I use a towel and wrap around left thigh & pull towel/left leg into my chest, hold. 3 x 30 seconds each side (this is most difficult for me on R side) at first, I could barely get my foot over knee, when left knee was flat.
hip flexor stretch: lie on floor or bed. Both knees flexed/bent. bridge/lift pelvis up, down. Tighten glutes. repeat 3 sets 10
calf stretch - stand on slant board (varying angles - I use #2) step up, toes forward, stand straight 3 x hold 30 sec. Alternatively, stand with toes on edge of step on stairs (hold handrail) , lower heels, feel stretch in calves & hold.

Do you use foam roller at all? I'm finding I should have used this religiously pre & post on quads, IT Band (side of hip, down to knee), lower back, wherever I feel tight, it loosens up muscles.

Anyways...maybe this is too much info :), can only say its what I've done (or should have done more of - foam roller) and have no doubt it contributes to my continued wonderful recovery!

Again, warmest wishing a & blessings to you. Also, thanks fr choosing teaching....our kids today need you! Xoxo
 
Some great exercises! I had great difficulty if not impossibility of doing on land but able to do all of them in water. @psychteach perhaps you can use university pool - or a therapy pool which will have warmer water than pool used by swim teams who like to have cold water. Water gives resistance as well as supporting to really work the muscles without or minimal joint pain.
 
@Me2 . We have a large hot tub at our home that I have been using. Any sitting down exercises I do there as the heat allows me to do more.. Others that require standing I do in the house. The hot tub has been amazing through all this:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hibbe I feel so blessed to have found your post and read your story. I am at 7 weeks post op and although I haven't been quite as blessed as far as pain is concerned, I have been told by PT that I am quite advanced compared to others who are where I am in recovery. I don't like to be compared to where others are at because we are all individuals and each of our recoveries are unique to us. But it was nice to know that I was doing that well. Your post was truly amazing, thanks so much for deciding to share your story.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom