THR Blessings of a miraculous recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ststyle59, your recovery sounds very normal - I am doing about like you are at 4.5 weeks after surgery. Did not opt for the surgical approach with quickest recovery but for my surgeon's choice for me and for best proven long term results. No PT so far, walking well with no limp (that I had before), almost off all pain meds.
 
@charmed-life, the slow and steady approach is the best, and to anyone else reading this, you may to check out the following article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
To all, I wish you continued strength and peace in your individually, unique recoveries as the spectrum of recovery is sooooo very wide. Heed the wise advice of our fellow friends. Don't measure yourself to others. To those of you facing upcoming surgeries be positive, yes, your fears are real, but so is hope! Like @AlanInAZ, I've talked to my PT and with the advances in medicine, she is seeing many smooth recoveries, too. I didn't do so, but in retrospect, had I had fears and knowing what I've experienced and reading of all that my BS friends have gone through, I would ask, ask, ask your OS what they think you should anticipate in recovery. Of course, it's so individual - but they know your current condition and the recovery pattern of their other patients. Hopefully, they can provide some personalized insight.

Something else I recommend that you review when considering an OS or awaiting surgery - ask for and familiarize yourself with the post op instructions. Are there restrictions/precautions? How soon can you shower? How long is a walker or cane recommended or required? For me, having read my OS post-op instructions that are general to all of his THR patients (see below), prior to surgery, I set recovery goals in mind that were within his guidelines: no hip precautions (no movement or degree limitations - only pain will stop me); Yay! :) shower when I get home; drive within 5-7 days if not on meds; don't overdo. Prior to surgery, I hadn't found BS - if I had, these goals might have seemed overly aggressive. So, consider the sound advice of BS and know your OS instructions.

@calikat- my OS is Dr. Jason Snibbe, broken link removed: https://www.snibbeorthopedics.com. Informative website - under patients read about conditions; patient documents - the THR post operative instructions (near bottom of page) provide guidance & insight (ie ice, meds, no hip precautions, showers, driving) ; under "about", read the testimonials. He's in Beverly Hills, and to those of you that may think he's only there for the stars or rich....please stop and don't jump to conclusions :). I'm a not either...just very blessed to have found a wonderful OS and grateful he was in network with my insurance co.

To each of you that have responded, thank you again, and to all, big hugs of encouragement...God bless!
 
Hibbe I have visited his website actually prior to my surgery. My OS had recommended him because of his own long wait list for an appointment and I was in so much pain. I had never heard of his approach...the PATH...and so I did not pursue. In hindsight I should have since I am having so many problems now. But at the time I was so overwhelmed by then. Oh well...shoulda, woulda, coulda as they say. I want to thank you again for your uplifting post as I am truly feeling discouraged and hopeless regarding my situation. I try to stay positive, but the ongoing pain makes it difficult.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hibbe ... hey there.. thanks for your positive comments.. is it not wonderful to be so active again! I do see that you are using the recumbent bike.. I too am going to PT twice a week, chickened out tonight asking her if I could go back to the gym. She had me doing a lot of work on leg strength/thing tonight and added "bands" to my routine. I like you try to remember to do work in between but sometimes forget :shrug: so wanted to get back into a routine of going to the gym so I remember to do so and would like to bike more.. I too have NOOOOO restrictions per doc. Do what I can. PT does not want me to overdo if I'm hurting too much after therapy to tell her.. I'm not hurting at all.. so really would like to go back to the gym to get back in a routine and will take it easy.. I do not want to aggrevate other body parts as I've heard many do as we are so thankful to move w/out pain. Just wondering how much you do on bike??

Thanks Hibbe! Re-read your story and love it. .very encouraging and inspiring!!
 
@dkirk0530 - ok, you're making me get out of my laying, around, relaxing, only 2 times PT exercise/week mindset to thinking about the gym :) (membership that I've continued to pay for but haven't used in almost a year because of pain). What I've thought to add at least one day a week, is doing the PT exercises at the gym, and adding core (plank), push ups, bicep/tricep/arm work as everything upperbody has gone very lax. Not heavy duty, but light weights & that will be more than I've done in so long. Lower body - continue to follow PT guidance. Ummm...back to answering your question :) - I do recumbent (minimal resistance) for only 10 minutes at PT as I don't want to be there too long; so I might go 20 min at the gym. Go girl.... :) xo
 
haha.. @Hibbe thanks for reply! I stopped the gym in November ...was doing elliptical 10 to 20 minutes.. for some reason Elliptical was the only thing I could do with that dreaded bone on bone! I could not peddle a bike to save my life! and walking.. well, stick a dagger in my groin. I concentrated most on core, blah, and upper body! I decided not to enrage my hip further before surgery so I stopped going once I made the apt. for surgery but ready to get back now too and need to drag a friend of mine that has been waiting for me.. she needs me to push her and I do. I've been a good excuse over the past two months but she's sick and tired of being sick and tired. She has a knee issue so we need to get our weight down.

I do exactly same amount on bike, 10 minutes with resistance level 3 i.e. low/whimp, was thinking I'd go do 20 on bike and start back on upper body as well. I'm weak and flabby in arms again!!!! and it's funny but it seems all my weight has shifted into the behind! ugh... not pretty. But.. I draw the line at planks.. you go girl! Thanks.. we'll keep each other honest! ;)
 
Hi,
Checking in with my fellow Hippies!
@dkirk0530 Sounds like you had a successful day last Saturday, both at the gym and shopping, in fact really god shopping - more exercise than at the gym!? Did you rest a lot on Sunday? I still find I need the rest. I must admit I look forward to hitting the bed for a nap, good excuse.
@calikat - trust your hanging in there! Thinking of you, neighbor!
@charmed-life - you're so right in choosing the doctor and type of procedure that's best for you!
@ststyle59 - slow & steady & smiling - hope your stiffness & swelling has gone down.
@grandma chris - still on for tomorrow? Sending prayers and warmest thoughts xoxo
@shrinkette - waiting to hear the good news!
@Hoppy Nanny love your strength to strength - sending back to you. Thank you for your constant support & encouragement to all!
@karisa7174 - keeping an eye on you, trusting the pain continues to lessen.

I hate to complain, but I was in puzzling pain this past week, soreness in the leg in general, the most nagging pain (not from the surgery site) deeper in the leg, than any I had felt since the surgery. Stiffness & tenderness when I put weight on my leg. I tried to think of what I was doing differently. Discussed it w my PT today. Agreed its from driving a small sports car this week vs my usual compact SUV. Like @dkirk0530, the low profile cars wreak havoc on the body. Believe it or not, I was driving down the a residential street & a 5 ft long, 4 inch diameter Eucalyptus tree branch crashed into my windshield, dented the hood & roof of my car (now it's in the shop). Fortunately I was only shaken up & no one was hurt. So, Tylenol & ibuprofen cocktail (thank you @Josephine or @Poppet), has been a welcome relief. My PT massaged my leg and had a good workout. I walked out thinking, "Wow, I feel great!" - very calm, not really like I had worked out - more like a spa day (I spent over 3 hours there!). Ask me tomorrow.....

To all, continued blessings in your recoveries & any upcoming surgeries....I appreciate all of you. Thanks for sharing.
Xo
 
Wow @Hibbe no wonder your sore!!! Scary and expensive too!!!

You probably braked too hard. I found a difference in driving different cars too.

Oh and your not complaining at all xxxx
 
@Hibbe - I must say that your profile pictiure caught my eye but your words caputred my heart. Thank you so much for your wonderful post it was truly a blessing to me. Joyce
 
Wow @ Hibbe. Getting in that car!!!! Getting out couldn't have been that good either...... Glad the PT sorted you out.... Now.... Just don't get in it again... Will you? We will be watching!!!! It's old granny cars from now on! Hope you are not too sore today..., Chrissie x
 
oh my @Hibbe that is one of my fears...teaching daughter to drive and scared will crash and hip progress..boomwow!! glad you are ok! and a tree limb too.. geez.. I live in GA where pine trees topple on the road.. so I know that fear as well. Weird about the deep leg pain. I have somewhat the same issue on outer thigh, I think its from sitting on my butt too much!! haha or the feeling coming back again. Yes, hit gym and shopped till I dropped and yes am very tired in between. My husband actually said this am as we woke up.. geez you slept ten hours! I rarely do this and I swear he wanted me to wake up.. annoyed me with his tv on.. finally got up. My fit bit force said I slept 7.5 hours with only a few hours of restlessness.. not sure I agree..

Other than that.. not much new here.. just going to PT, upping my mileage on bike, 4 miles. doing front leg lifts now to increase strength of muscles screwed up from limp. Love my PT.. she tests but is so cautious.. not like trainers I've been to in the past. I have a rubber retention band too help build strength. building on steps to help with going up and down, still tentative there too.. alls well.

Keep us posted on pain and hope you are getting back to that gym soon ;) enjoy the PT, I know I am!
 
Hippie, I love your dog picture. I'm sure that she or he is helping your recover. Keep it up but do remember not to over due it, Go slow. take care. Tashia
 
Hi all,
Thank you for feeling my pain! It's better, with ice and not driving the little car the past 2 days. Hoping to get my "upright" car back from the body shop on Monday.
I must share my "big" victory...after almost a year, I was able to cut my own toe nails on my operated side! I had treated myself to a pedicure before surgery, so by now, they were getting uncomfortably long. Whooohooo....
@dkirk0530 I'm not back to the gym, still looking forward to spoiling myself with manual therapy & exercises under the keen eye of my PT. Honestly - my head (guilt) tells me Im being lazy, my butt tells me I could use the massage...I'm going w my butt for a change :). I can say this here & know you understand!
To all, happy recoveries...xo
 
@Hibbe Hi, saw your ?? For me over on bird lady's thread & thought I'd hop over to yours to answer.
Teakea is just a silly word that a dear friend's nephew used to say-lol
The pup is Ernie, a rescue that my daughter adopted a few years ago. They said he's a poodle but we've had poodles and he may be part poodle but there's something else there-maybe schnauzer - so maybe he's a schnoodle. He's my buddy and I'll be looking to him to keep me smiling post-op.
I really did enjoy reading about your recovery. Sorry to hear about the car-tree branch mishap. Hope you are doing well.
 
Hi all,
Update on my recent PT session on Monday. I was feeling a bit of soreness in the hip/glute and stffness in the wound area. The therapist really focused manual massage on the glute/piriformis and on the incision sight (the kind of massage that says ooooh/ahhhhh....hurts in a good way as he's loosening up deep down) not sure how to explain it. The incision sight always felt tight, especially if I pressed on it, but today it feels really good, almost normal, like the rest of the surrounding area. One exercise I've been doing is sitting on a tennis ball on the floor with knee bent, and moving back & forth so the tennis ball massages the glute/piriformis area. Surprising hw a tennis ball can feel like a rock! But it helps loosen up the muscles.

@MajorHeidi - I see you supporting all of us on BS. How are you doing? Date set? Hw are you feeling? Are you keeping up a current thread? Thank you for your love....thinking of you, know I care...wishing you the best!

To all...blessings!
 
@Hibbe I am so happy to read of your recovery. You are truly blessed that you saw your OS instead of another OS...not that you wouldn't have had as much success in your recovery with a different doc and method, but it would surely be hard to match the great recovery you have had so far. Of those I have talked to who also chose an experienced OS who does the SuperPath, I have only heard really good things. Your recovery is what we all aspire to have.
Please keep us posted on your PT journey. I will be doing PT similar to yours, so any details on PT you can share are most appreciated. The tennis ball thing seems like it would hurt...in what week of PT did you first do that?
Thank you so much for sharing your story. Truly a miracle.
 
@FLgirlie I've been so excited for you having followed your preop as well (via sailfreeordie) and the successes of your OS. I was feeling so confident for you pre surgery and waited excitedly to hear of your recovery. Then worried when we didn't hear immediately from you. I was so thrilled for you when you did post and found your recovery coming along so smoothly! We are blessed!!

Similar to you I had a huge bruise, and a little behind my right knee. However, it was not painful. As much as you probably want to push yourself, I did cuz I wanted to be strong quickly, be cautious & listen to your body. when I felt exhausted (often), I napped & rested (heating pad for back, ice bag on hip). The leg, hip would feel achy, tight. With the rest I woke the next day feeling good. From the start (i did not do home PT) I limited my PT to max 2 times per week (but spent 2 hrs plus there, truly working out under their supervision) and not doing any addl exercise at home, figuring that all of the walking, normal routine things that I could manage was enough. I'm still sticking to this sort of personal guideline. Although, I keep saying I'll get to the gym, I've had busy days up at my daughters school, running errands, loading the car/unloading projects, etc. & I just tell my self it is what it is, no gym :) at least for today! I tell my self the rest/naps are better for me than the gym. You might apply the same to your current recovery approach to PT.

I hear the message at BS that you don't need PT. I have found it extremely helpful in loosening up and strengthening my muscles. Since Osteoarthritis hit, I had difficulty kneeling or sitting on the floor,worse was trying to get up. Asking my PT for the right exercises to help me w that, I see the strength coming back. (reverse lunges on the TRX). I've also always been the type that likes the technical advice and how to properly execute things (exercise or other life skills!)

I'll need to go back and look at notes to see if I can tell what I exercises I was doing at what day. It will be at your own schedule, but I know it helps see what others are capable of. I'll write as soon as I can. Whatever exercises your pt gives you remember to breathe deeply throughout, hold the core tight, controlled movements and work the glutes (hold your buns if you can while exercising & feel them tighten). my PT always reminds me to do so - it's easy to forget and just go through the motion of moving your legs. Ask which muscle it's working and focus on that muscle. Core strengthening has been critical for me, too.

Enough food for thought....I'll write more....keep up the great work, take care of yourself & the best for a continued smooth recovery! xoxoxoxo

PS have you heard from @kpalm? Hope shes doing well, too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom