THR Bilateral THR due to AVN

Has anyone seen or had surgery with Mr Hugh Apthorp?
 
To be fair I found the King Edward Private hospital that I used very upfront and fair and I didn't pay a penny more than the £13000 they quoted- which included surgeon/ anaesthetist/ hospital.
I am sorry you are struggling with insurance issues at this time.
I think they do try to wriggle out of paying more than the absolute minimum. Several friends have given up on private insurance as they got older because so much was being excluded as preexisting.
Could you have an appointment with one of the consultants they do cover and also look them up on the NJR. Also ask them for their experience in AVN surgery- before if necessary threatening to go to the Ombudsman??
 
Thank you. How long ago was your surgery at King Edward’s? I was quoted £15200 at London Bridge hospital just for hospital costs, + £2500 surgeon’s fee plus £600 or £700 for anaesthetist.
 
It's so tough, an absolute minefield! I found the Nuffield quite clear on pricing. One price including everything and as far as I'm aware covers any complications following surgery too. Not cheap though, I paid £17K for my recent left hip. The cost to go private through the NHS with the same surgical team was almost identical cost. A little more confusing though as it was different charges added together.
 
My surgery was a PKR and it was almost 3 years ago- so don't know the current prices. But I got one of the top surgeons for complicated partial knees and the King Edward is where the royals often go- so presumably not one of the cheapest.
The food was very good!
Definitely worth shopping around and comparing prices and what's included. @Deni444 point about covering complications is a good one.
 
The other thing you can do is compare waiting times on the NHS.
At the time I had my surgery it was about 8 months at Charing X but I don't know the current times. A friend in Wales has been told 3 years!
I haven't tried recently but it is meant to be possible to pick shorter waits if you are prepared to travel.
Charing X was building a dedicated orthopaedic hub at Central Middlesex to bring waits down. Might be worth checking what happened to that.
 
Thank you both. I just thought since we have been paying for private insurance for years we should get some use out of it. I really don’t have the patience to start the process again on the NHS and be passed around forever until they schedule surgery. The cost @Deni444 mentioned is not that far from the self funded surgery at London Bridge hospital. I think, if I understand correctly the total package is £19000. But I need to confirm what’s included. The consultant seems to be one of the well known hip surgeons so I am happy to go to him
 
I haven’t any experience of getting treatment through insurance but can also attest to the private hospitals having fixed price packages for privately funded surgery. I paid just over £15k at a Spire hospital, I wasn’t charged for any extras. The surgeon’s and anaesthetist’s fees were itemised within the total amount. £800 definitely wouldn’t pay for a surgeon, it might pay for an anaesthetist. I think some insurers have arrangements with particular private hospital chains, for example the Spire takes BUPA, they were previously BUPA hospitals.
 
I had bilateral bunion surgery at London Bridge. A number of years ago now but very positive experience.
 
Thanks everyone for your input. It’s so much money especially as I will definitely need two THRs and possibly TKRs too
 
If you are likely to need all four joints done it would be worth getting into the NHS system in case your insurer tried to pull out.
I was in the NHS clinic before self paying and got my MRIS and follow up on the NHS. Charing X had a system of patient initiated follow up- so that I could refer myself back directly for 2 years after I was discharged from follow up. My surgeon thought my right hip would need doing sooner rather than later. But so far it has been trouble free once my knee was sorted.
 
Thanks @EalingGran I will try. But I had to wait 8 months to see a rheumatologist on the NHS so all the waiting is very frustrating. And every time I go I see a different registrar in the consultant’s team and have to go over things again.
 
Hi emerson,
Wondering how you're doing as you're waiting out these last few weeks before surgery?
I hope you're having some peaceful days. It can be a time of discomfort so I'm wishing you many moments of relief and the best possible outcome when the time comes. We're here if you need us! :)
@emersonf
 
Hi Layla, thank you so much for your message. I’ve been very anxious about the surgery so I postponed it till the 15th of September. I just don’t feel ready at all. I’ll keep you updated x
 
@emersonf I updated your signature to reflect your new surgery date. We all pretty much understand that feeling of trepidation. You wouldn't be human if you didn't have some anxiety. Is there something in particular that is causing you angst that we could help support you with?
 
@emersonf Oh how I remember those days just before my BTHR!! In some ways I think the waiting for surgery is almost worse than the actual going through it and recuperating combined. The prospect of having any surgery is nervous making. And having 2 surgeries at once is even more so. Please be assured that everyone you meet at the hospital is a professional and they all have your health and successful surgery as their main focus.

As for the after surgery recuperation the first few weeks will be difficult. But unlike the pre op pain of bad hips, after surgery pain is much more manageable with medication and applications of ice packs. And I will say that looking back over almost 14 years having both hips replaced at once was the best thing I ever did for myself.

One of the things I did before this surgery was to have an internal "talk" with my born-with hips - thanking them for their service, acknowledging their pain, remembering some of the fun things they and I went through.... and saying good-bye. Just a sort of meditation or self talk if you will. For me that did help put things into perspective and ease at least some of my anxiety.

I wish you all the very best and urge you to not delay this any longer .... it really is positively life changing. :console2:
 
Thank you all for your support. I feel very low and I don’t think that I have the energy required for recovery. Both my knees have AVN too so the surgeons I saw could not tell me that I will be able to walk without aids even with both hips replaced because of the knees. They decided that staged THRs are more appropriate given that I am struggling so much. I have an extremely hard year and I feel a bit defeated now. Just before Christmas, I lost my 26 year old daughter. It was sudden and unexpected and totally devastating. Four months later, I was diagnosed with bilateral hips AVN and before I had a chance to come to terms with that, my knees started to hurt and a diagnosis of bilateral AVN of the knees followed. I feel completely overwhelmed and unable to go through with the surgeries.
 
I'm so sad to hear about all you have endured over the last few months, I really can't imagine the agony but I can imagine how totally exhausted you must be feeling. That's an awful lot to deal with emotionally and physically. I can't say that I've been through anything close but I do understand not being able to face surgery. For completely different reasons, I experienced a complete inability to cope emotionally with the thought of surgery, I cancelled my first scheduled hip replacement nearly four years ago. At the time I was being tested for Lupus, that was up in the air and inconclusive. I'd suddenly seized up completely, couldn't bend, walking was difficult and I sat down with a surgeon who said I needed all four joints replaced. It was all too much. I was told I had severe chronic arthritis and the year before I was fit and healthy. I can't say anything to take away anything that you are going through and I certainly didn't want to listen to anybody tell me to be brave and get surgery back then. All I can say with hindsight now is that I really wish I'd have had surgery sooner. I was very nervous of having surgery and as soon as I woke up, I realised that I'd gotten into a state over nothing. It was so much easier than anything I'd imagined. Those early days were not great but they were not that bad either. Despite all my continuing issues and the fact I may be a bit disabled for good. I'm so much better than I was. That last few months before I had surgery was incredibly hard. I didn't imagine my hip could get much worse but boy was I wrong. I really would have been wheelchair bound, I really should have been those last few weeks. Unfortunately, hips very often do continue to deteriorate from bad to no longer holding us up. I'm not perfect but I'm better and it's made so much difference to my life already.

As a foot note... I've been told my next surgery will not improve my mobility but I'm still keen to go ahead. Why? Because I know that although it may not fix my issues it will stop my issues getting worse. Just a thought.
 
Last edited:
Oh my goodness, @emersonf. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your daughter. I'm sure it was devastating.

I am so sorry to read what you've been through. It's understandable that you are feeling overwhelmed and opted to delay the surgeries. Give yourself the grace and time you need.

Know that we are here for you and will support you as you continue this journey.
 
Thank you so much @Deni444 and @benne68 for your kind words. I admire your courage for going ahead with all the surgeries and @Deni444, I understand what you are saying about not being perfect but at least not allowing things to get worse and have the best possible outcome. It’s very hard. I know I will eventually have to have the hips replaced and likely the knees as well. But I feel completely ‘paralysed’ emotionally, mentally and of course physically so I can’t take decisions to do anything. I’m so grateful for the support from the bonesmart community. Really, it means a lot xx
 

Staff online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom