Bilateral scheduled for Sept 29. Glad I discovered this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seven years removed from my BTKR---and there is no knee pain at all---sleep is not a problem, and if I do get sore from overdoing things, it is a muscle that is telling me something---not the knees. I am very, very happy that I made that decision to have the BTKR.
 
Now I'm pretty content with where I am, but nobody ever once suggested that it takes a year to fully rehab.
I never heard that either, and I think a great many of us were rather naive about hings---"ignorance is bliss", so to speak.

Once I found this site, I learned how things actually work---like recovery---and I realized that I had to be more patient and that it was gong to take much longer than I ever realized.
 
@Maggie94, I'm wondering if @referee54 (also a BTKR) could move your question into your own thread. That way more of us could see your questions. I'm not 3 months post op but I'm almost 5 weeks and am leaving a rehab hospital tomorrow I've been in post surgery. There are handy, dandy tools out there that help you put on things like your undies, socks and shoes. It's often recommended that you get new shoes with post op in mind because you will want to allow for swelling in your feet and you don't want shoes with your old pattern of walking in them. You aren't going to want tie-ups. Mine are slip ons with Velcro flaps that secure them over the top of the arch. There is lots of help from past bilats out there - we just need to get you visible.

Also - add your surgical date to your signature and get yourself on the January Jackpots list in the knee pre-op area. You'll find people going down the same path with you close to when your journey begins.

I'll watch for your thread to move!
 
WOW - @referee54 - you are on the ball! I'm slowly waking up here on the west coast and you've already spotted @Maggie94’s post!
 
WOW - @referee54 - you are on the ball! I'm slowly waking up here on the west coast and you've already spotted @Maggie94’s post!
Just doing my job, ma'am... @Maggie94---your questions are certainly worthy of being in their own thread, so I moved your post there so others could see it and respond in kind.
 
thanks @joemz so great that you are pain free - that is what I am looking for. I agree totally with you view of not delaying - I'm right there with you - there is the degeneration + having the rest of your life on hold till the knees are fixed!!

Are you back to any physical pursuits yet? I want to go back to yoga, pilates, the gym golf and basically walking and striding out not shuffling along like an oldie:heehee:

Thanks again for your positive words - yep it will get worse (for a little while) before it gets better. Maggie x
 
Maggie, your question on whether i'm back to any physical pursuits is interesting? Sadly, I'm not and I'm not totally sure why. Part of it is that for 10 years i did nothing and now I'm afraid i'll get hurt if i try to exercise, but i'm not concerned about the new joint getting hurt. Just the rest of my out of shape body

So i'm walking like a normal person, a little slower I'm sure, but way better than before and no pain

I still have severe arthritis in my ankle (which probably caused the need for the BTKR), but oddly there is almost no ankle pain since i'm gotten the new knees. A very positive side effect
 
@joemez please don't be afraid. You had the guts to face and do surgery. I suggest you list what you would like to do, and start with the least challenging. Build you confidence, go slowly. Remember the Bone Smart mantra.... Stop if it hurts and even if it is OK have a rest and ice after. Go for it J it is the rest of your life, enjoy. Maggie x
 
I agree. Your new knees are strong and the rest of your body can follow suit if you start slowly and build up. You might try something fairly easy on your body, but still great exercise like riding a cycle...either for real or a stationary bike. Swimming and water exercise are other options for a more gentle start. And, of course, there is always walking (well maybe not in New Jersey in winter...brrrrr!!!).

Do you have access to a gym? Maybe a YMCA or school pool? A few sessions with a personal trainer might get you on the right path.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom