PKR Bilateral patellofemoral KRs<

hawk fan,
Sorry to hear you are still having pain with your knees, glad you have an appointment with your OS in a few weeks.
@Jamie may be able to suggest a surgeon at The Mayo Clinic.

I agree if you need additional surgery, before the end of the year before a new deductible starts.

All the best in your search,

I’m sorry your knee is still painful. I am 19 months now and while my ROM is finally fine, and my leg in general has relaxed, other things are not fine.

It’s painful to do stairs, more going down than up. Leaning forward is uncomfortable.

I wore pants today for the first time this season and the hunk of wood was as bad as ever, if not worse because I haven’t worn pants, or been cold, for months.

I had a second opinion at 15 months which turned out to be a waste of time. My original surgeon offered me no help at my one year check.

I have put more opinions on the shelf for a while. I’m not ready yet to disrupt those healed soft tissues that took so long to heal, and definitely not for a “let’s try this” surgery. To be honest, another surgery scares me so much. I don’t know how I’m going to handle it if/when the time comes that I don’t have a choice.

I’m also going to tag @Josephine for you. She’s been away this week but will be back next week.

At my one year check up I asked for my operative report, I thought it would be fun to read it. I understood more than I thought I would. I found out I also had a lateral release done during my replacement surgery. That lower lateral spot is where my hunk of wood feeling is. I wonder if the lateral release is the cause of my discomfort. As far as I know I never had tracking problems before this surgery.

I'm assuming you mean the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, right? There actually are several locations in the US.

Here are some surgeons to check out:

Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minnesota revision surgeons

Dr. Matthew P. Abdel (also works with infections)

Dr. Daniel Berry (hip and knee revisions)

Faculty at 2018 International Congress for Joint Reconstruction (ICJR) meeting on problem case diagnosis - hips and knees
Dr. Tad Mabry - main presenter
Dr. Kevin L. Perry
Dr. Rafael J. Sierra
Dr. Michael J. Taunton
Dr. David G. Lewallen

Thank you @pumpkin for your encouragement. Thank you @Jamie for getting back to me so quickly! Dr. Taunton is in my network. I am nervous about this but it’s time to figure this all out.

@Jockette i am sorry you are still having problems also. I also had lateral release but don’t know if that is my problem. There is pain there when I stand up but the obstruction seems to be in front of the knee for me. It is so confusing, it drives me crazy, not knowing how to fix it. Is it scar tissue? Maltracking of the kneecap? Still just healing? Do I just need to strengthen more yet? Re-train my muscles? Argh! :gaah::blackcloud:

I wonder some of those questions, too. I really don’t think mine is a matter of trying to strengthen it more, when I have made some attempts, like forcing myself to do stairs, I end up in pain that can last for days. Not bad pain, but still pain.

My second opinion surgeon told me:

A) some people just don’t get a good outcome,
B) sometimes doing it over can make you worse, and
C) some people’s bodies just don’t like the implant.

Are those things really true, or was he just putting me off.
:shrug:

So here is an update. The Dr. I called for a second opinion at Mayo in Rochester sent me a letter saying he turned me down for an appointment. He said that he had nothing else to offer me that would be different or better than what my current OS was telling me. So I decided to go ahead with the scope rather than seeking a “third” opinion.I don’t know if it is the right decision, but I won’t know if there is scar tissue or any other problem in there if I don’t do it. The surgery is Dec. 5 so coming up quickly!

I hope the scope solves your problem! At least looking inside will give you some answers.

I finally had my left knee arthroscopic surgery on Monday! Was supposed to have it in December but Insurance Company didn’t approve it and I found out the day before surgery! I was at my pre-op appt. and called the doctors office with a question and the secretary told me they just heard back and I Will have to postpone the surgery. Can you imagine how shocked, upset and yes angry, I was? I do believe it was mostly the dr’s office fault though. Long story that! I was too depressed to post on here that it didn’t happen. I am doing well so far. Taking it easy with rest, ice and elevation. Dr. did find scar tissue that he removed. I hope it helps and does not come back to cause problems. I have noticed on BS that there are different opinions on if this procedure helps or not. He didn’t have any other answers for my pain so I pray that this was the answer for me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back