Bilateral TKR Bilateral Knee Replacement-Ups and Downs

I am hoping my shivering goes away.
A bit of shock from all the trauma your body has been through. Keep warm and hydrated.

It's great you are sleeping a lot! Sleep = healing.

It’s really a blessing you are sleeping so well! And your trips to the bathroom are all you need right now in the way of exercise, other than doing a few ankle pumps every hour or so. Sounds like you are doing great!

The visiting nurse removed my bandages yesterday. I have a Mepilex bandage which means that I can take a shower when I’m up to it. I also have absorbable stitches. The bruising isn’t too bad, yet.

Attachments

• 577C0967-BF95-4BF9-A632-91C3FB4F6C2C.jpeg
    577C0967-BF95-4BF9-A632-91C3FB4F6C2C.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 235
Being originally from the Tidewater area, I am quite familiar with the Bay Bridge backups. What a terrible place to be stuck on the way home from the hospital. Which hospital did you have your TKRs in? I had mine in the Richmond area since that is where my doctor operated.

Your right leg looks pretty swollen. Are you elevating high enough? You should try to have your toes above your nose if you can. We recommend the Lounge Doctor to help with that. Lounge Doctor

I had my surgery in June also and I froze for the first few weeks. I had to go stand on the deck to get warm and use an electric blanket while icing all night. Do you have an electric throw? I ended up getting one and it helped a lot. You need that ice, but it is no need to shiver!

Thanks. I’ll try that electric throw if I keep shivering. I had my surgery at Johns Hopkins in Howard County Hospital in Columbia, MD. It was a computer and Mako Robot-assisted. I have a Lounge Doctor which I use during the day, but find it impossible to use at night when I sleep. I have 2 ice machines hooked up and a DVT Compression Machine attached to my calves. I will try to elevate my knees more at night.

What a shame you can't use the LD at night. I had to elevate for months. Have you tried just pillows? Any elevation will help get that swelling down.

It sounds like you're all set to complete this journey the best you can!

Actually we rearranged the pillows for my head and i can now use the Lounge Doctor all the time. When I got up to go to the bathroom, my sister commented that my swelling had gone down. What a difference! My recovery would have been much different without BoneSmart.

Day 5 in Recovery; my in-home PT never made an appearance, so I’ll call them tomorrow. Still doing my ankle pumps and my walks to the bathroom are getting easier. Finally had a #2 today (thank you Dulcolax). Still sleeping well and my use of the Lounge Doctor is 24/7, since the swelling has gone down. My brain is still a little confused, my shakiness is still there, but I know it will pass.

Don’t worry about missing PT. This early the ankle pumps and walks are all you need to keep your knee mobile.

Day 6- Well, my PT showed up, and was surprised at the range I already had in my knees, and my ability to ambulate (getting on and of the bed, and walking around).Then he looked at the Lounge Doctor and said that he didn’t like the dip it had, and if I was going to continue to use it, I had to put in a towel or pillow to make it straight. Also, that I needed to only use the ice machines at night, and to rest my legs on the bed, only elevating at night. I nodded, but of course I will use my LD and ice 24/7 because obviously it is WORKING. I will do the exercises because they are from Johns Hopkins, and I know that full extension of my legs are very important. So I will play along with in-home PT to keep me on a schedule, but my LD and ice machines stay.

Your recovery and the mere fact that you were even able to get out of bed (much less go home) on the same day of your BIlateral TKN sounds AMAZING to me! How are you managing with 2 new knees at the same time? [I had my left done 9 weeks ago and my PT kept reminding me of how hard I had to work to get things strong enough to be able to handle the next TKN (right) next week.] Did you have to do some sprecial pre-op PT?

I nodded, but of course I will use my LD and ice 24/7 because obviously it is WORKING. I will do the exercises because they are from Johns Hopkins, and I know that full extension of my legs are very important. So I will play along with in-home PT to keep me on a schedule, but my LD and ice machines stay.
Very smart decision @AfterCare. But don’t worry too much about extension, it will come with time and anyone who says you have a “window” to reach ROM is misinformed.

My knees were both out of alignment (left was bow-legged and right was knock-kneed) so it made sense to have them aligned with the Mako Robot and computer-assisted. My surgeon teaches it to other doctors at Johns Hopkins, so I felt I was in good hands. I was in pre-opt PT for 6 weeks prior and I feel it made a difference. To me, my ICE machines (Berg) and ELEVATION with the Lounge Doctor made all the difference. I did read my take-home instructions, and was a little dismayed that it was vague - “use ice and elevate as needed“ is not that helpful. So glad that BoneSmart has set me on the right path after surgery from a great doctor. I guess by having both done, it will be over sooner, and I can’t cheat by relying on my “good leg”. So yes, pre-opt PT is very important. A

Well, I got cocky and am quick to join the Club of Doing Too Much Too Soon. Had a great day yesterday, moving around, sitting in a chair doing exercises, getting up every hour walking around- as my PT said to do. He had told me that my legs will not fully extend unless I follow his directions. the mantra seems to be you must feel pain to get rom,etc. Now my legs are swollen again and I am just going to rest today and ice. Getting up only to go to the bathroom. We are going to have a talk tomorrow about what’s best for me.

my PT said to do. He had told me that my legs will not fully extend unless I follow his directions. the mantra seems to be you must feel pain to get rom,etc. Now my legs are swollen again and I am just going to rest today and ice.
This is an example of bad PT. You were doing wonderfully until this 'professional' tells you to do something else. Why fix it if it ain't broken?!

Continue to do as you were doing and kick that therapist to the curb. You don't even need PT, you are doing quite well without them.

@Taoquest, prior to my TKR I was aware of the BoneSmart gentle approach to recovery as opposed to rigorous PT. I was lucky enough to find the site before my TKR. Even though I knew about the BoneSmart approach my OS was all about PT and "whatever ROM you have when your scar turns silver is all the ROM you will ever have." He was the trained surgeon that has done many, many replacements, he must know what he's talking about right? So off I went to my first visit to PT, about 2 weeks out from TKR. The next day when my knee was more swollen and I was in much more pain I opted for a BoneSmart recovery. I never went to another PT session. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only did I suffer less pain, but my ROM has continued to improve over two years. I've been hiking over rough terrain for good distances, scuba diving, and just living a happy active pain free life with more ROM than I ever thought I would have again after many painful years. I've now had a hip replacement with equal success following a BoneSmart approach. You don't have to suffer needlessly to have an amazing recovery.

1 week out- I spent yesterday with rest, elevation, and ice. Today’s PT session was totally different- this is a small community and maybe word got out that I was not happy. He agreed that I needed to go at my own pace, and we mostly did gentle stretching exercises. I only have Home PT for another week, and will then decide about regular PT. I see my surgeon next week and we’ll discuss it. But I am ambulating easier, walking taller on knees that feel different but rock solid. My sister can see the difference when I walk- and that previous pain when I walk is gone! So my PT told me to elevate and rest for the rest of the day- and my 2 little Bergs are chugging away. Thanks FCBayern, I may still be able to climb that ladder back onto the boat.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom