Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Bikinglynn's Recovery Thread

I sit with 5 ice packs (3 on knee and 2 on hip) and wrapped in layers and 2 blankets round me. My husband keeps telling me how mild it is, but my body's not having any of it!
 
She bent her knee all the way back and sideways. It was amazing. She credited vigorous massage therapy after her healing process. Interesting.... I wonder if others have found massage therapy to be helpful.
I got decent flex (120-125) from the regular process but, months later, I had some serious massage of my mid thigh, while my leg was held in a moderately stretched position. Maybe eight sessions. For me this was a totally painless way to get an extra 10 degrees of flex.
 
It will be 6 weeks tomorrow. I just realized last night that the tight band feeling below my knees is no longer there. In fact, I don't think it's been there for a couple of weeks. Isn't it funny that something that was so uncomfortable can disappear and I don't even notice it?

Sleeping is so much better this past week. I wake up at least once through the night, but am able to go back to sleep pretty fast.

I'm planning to stay with my granddaughters (ages 7 and 9) during their spring break at the end of March. Little nervous about the flying (no non-stop option), but I look forward to being in the Albuquerque sunshine for 2 weeks.

Are there any suggestions for making the airport/airplane experiences any better?
 
Today was a big day for me. I wore blue jeans for the first time. I have lived in my two pair of sweat pants since the surgery. It was odd to see myself in jeans without very bowed legs. ( ) -> | |

It was the first day I did not need to take any Tylenol in the afternoon. I walked for a mile and a half and felt good.

This is the first time I've really had a good day with my knees. I know tomorrow (or tonight) may be a different story, but this has done wonders for my mood.
 
Its great isnt it ... so good for our moral :) after my staples were removed my doctor suggested gently rubbing different fabric over the incision ( I state "gently") this desensetizes them.
Now fast forward 4.5 months I'm back to wearing all types of Jeans /trousers ( pants as they are known in the US) without any irritation to the knee at all.
Walking outdoors no matter how short the walk is, is so good for our well being - I think the greatest remedy in this recovery is "positivity" master that and you are winning half the battle - yes tomorrow might be a little sorer or stiffer. But you know its temporary as recovery on any form or knee surgery is a rollercoaster.
Happy Sunday to you xx
 
Ha! No, the hair appointment went fine. Normal amount of scalp sensitivity.

I walked with a friend at the park today. We were busy talking and I suddenly felt like I needed to stop. We had walked 2 miles, which is more than I usually walk. I came home, elevated, and iced. Definitely feeling some stiffness this afternoon. My doctor warned me about doing too much and having a backset. We'll see what the knees say tomorrow. If they don't complain, I'll aim for 2 miles for every walk. I'm finding that walking is my favorite way to exercise and work on extension.

I saw my doctor this week and no longer have to go to PT. That makes me happy. :egypdance:
 
Holler on the no more PT! That's great! Good for you bikinglynn! It's like being released from jail I felt like.
 
Things haven't been right since that walk 2 days ago. I now have a sharp pain behind my left knee when I raise it in a bent position. I can't imagine that I hurt it on that walk. I thought it would be better this morning, but it isn't. I guess I'll rest it as much as possible today and continue to ice it. This is discouraging.
 
Sometimes it can take a few days to settle once we've aggravated it. Take it easy, rest and build back up slowly. We all have these setbacks from time to time. It's so frustrating, but don't be discouraged. I can remember being so cross with myself last year for overdoing it. If only we could turn the clock back!
 
bikinglynn--I have been attempting two miles on the treadmill every other day--still too snowy outside to walk safely. I am 5 weeks out from PKR. Along with some pt stretches and now some short outings, that has been working out fine .However, yesterday I met a friend for lunch, drove to two stores to do some shopping- home late afternoon and I was so tired I could barely get up off the couch till bedtime. Not overtly sore in the knee, just total exhaustion. It took me by surprise since I have been up and around the house doing things for weeks now. And today and I am still pretty stiff and tired. Anyone feel really exhausted after a few hours of "normal" activities?
 
It seems it doesn't take much to overdo it. Yesterday, I felt pretty good as I headed out to doctor's appointment. So, I came home and prepared dough for homemade pizzas and then, baked brownies for dessert. By the time I was done, I could hardly make it to my recliner. Then, pain and discomfort all night into today. I won't do that again.
 
Both of your stories ring true for me. I feel like I've worked up to a certain level of stamina, but any extra causes issues. Shopping and cooking have exhausted me, even though I've done very little.
 
Our bodies use a lot of energy repairing those damaged tissues so it's not surprising we suddenly run out of energy. I know I do. I seem to have more stamina this time over the last one so whether that means more work was done on that one I don't know, although as it's taken longer to recover it would make sense. Frustrating though!
 
I think it’s the hardest when we were so active before hand. Even with severe arthritis in both knees, I pushed before and, of course, I will have to not overdo now. I already find myself wanting to clean house, etc, just 2 1/2 weeks out. I know I can’t. I hope you are feeling better now after a few days of rest after your jaunt. My biggest worry is husband and family not understanding that I won’t be hiking that 8 mile trail by April. My husband especially has never had major surgery or even broken a bone, so he has no frame of reference. Do you find that friends and family around you understand that your recovery will take time?
 
I agree it’s hard when you were really active before. We have a trip planned to hike in Utah first week of May and I have a feeling we will have to opt for the flat trails, unfortunately. And I do feel that people don’t understand the length of time and the discomfort of this procedure. When they ask hubby how I am and he says I am doing well, it seems they think I am all better and running around again. Thank goodness for this forum!
 
It's true that people who haven't been there can't possibly understand this healing process; I know I didn't. My mother asks me if my knees hurt still. She's always surprised when I say, "Yes!"

Instead of being casual and downplaying the surgery, I tell everyone it's been horrible. I also tell them I had no choice. I can walk farther now than I could before my surgery. I know it's only going to get better.

So, we may not be able to hike 8 miles in April or our planned hikes in Utah in May, or bicycle rides this summer, but we will do those things when our knees heal. We and our loved ones will just have to be patient.

One other thing to remember, the first knee replacement happened in the 1960s. I keep thinking about the quality of the rest of my life, if I did not have the option of fixing my knees. We are so lucky.

There! That's my motivational message for the day.
 
I appreciate your motivational message- it helps to keep that in mind as I’m anticipating my bilateral TKR on Mar 16. I am expecting the painful slow recovery but I have things planned as my light at the end of the tunnel :). I’ve booked A weekend camping trip with my sister & my photography group in Sept. ( I can do as much or as little as I want at it). & my big one - a photo expedition to Costa Rica in Mar 2021 to celebrate a year - hoping I can do lots of walking for that trip!
 
Back
Top Bottom