TKR Bigt's recovery thread

I had my first actual PT visit from the in-home physical therapist and oh my God I am in a lot of pain did not sleep. He gave me a bunch of exercises to do I'm not sure if I'll even be able to do them because of how much pain I'm in and of all the swelling. I feel like I'm taking a step back with PT when I would have thought I would be going forward!
I haven't totally stopped moving my knee because I know that would be very bad to do and I still do my heel slides when I can I do my ankle pumps I move my knees much as possible I just really can't do much of the stretching and pulling exercises that he wants me to do. He wants me walking around the house with my walker which I do he wants me to do some squats while I'm standing with the walker which right now is not much of a squat but I can do it.
You really only need to do a minimum amount of PT exercises. Mostly, just walking around the house, and doing a few Heel slides and how to do them is all you need. As you progress, your activities of daily living will increase, which will automatically increase the amount of exercise your knee gets.

Do remember what the BoneSmart mantras advise, especailly these:
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. Exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

Squats are particularly bad for a new knee, because they put such a lot of stress on it. Please don't do them until your new knee is at least 3 months old.
squats are a way to wake the quads, but there is no need to rush that.
Your quads will wake up when they are ready to. That usually happens spontaneously, when they have recovered from the trauma of the surgery. You don't have to do squats to help them.
I know one of our administrators, Celle, her doctor doesn't allow his patients to do PT I think the first month after the procedure. She'll be along soon to chime in on this!
I'm just a Forum Advisor, not an Administrator, but here I am, to confirm what Suz said.
My surgeon does not allow any formal PT for the first month after a knee replacement. He says that your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. The only time a therapist came to me in hospital was to help me get out of bed and back in again, to teach me how to walk with a walker and then crutches, and to negotiate stairs. Those are all classed as ADL - Activities of Daily Living - and that was all I needed.

At home, I walked to and from the bathroom, or around the house every hour or so. Mostly, for the first few weeks I spent most of my time resting, icing and elevating my knee, and taking my pain meds on a regular schedule. Once in while, if I remembered, I did a few heel slides (but not many).
As I grew stronger and less tired, I gradually increased my activity.

I have now rehabbed both my knees this way. They are strong and reliable. They straighten fully and bend to over 125 degrees. I can do anything I want with them.

Following his regime, my surgeon's patients all do well and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM (Range of Motion) for the past 3 years.

I didn't realize the severity of this procedure until it was already said & done. I certainly didn't think the recovery was going to kick my back side as it has.
A lot of people seem to go into having a knee replacement without realising how long the recovery is going to take. It is major surgery, and it takes a long time to recover - as long as a full year for all your soft tissues to heal completely, although you will be capable of doing most things long before that.

Right now, you're still in the hardest time - the dark days of recovery - but things will improve in a few weeks. Hang in there. It's worth it!
 
Your quads will wake up when they are ready to. That usually happens spontaneously, when they have recovered from the trauma of the surgery. You don't have to do squats to help them.
I agree, but that is why PT pushes squats, I was just explaining the exercise. I never did them as exercise. @Josephine
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree you are way to early for what we usually think of as "squats" exercises. You're getting plenty of work on your quad muscles for now getting up out of bed, standing and sitting in chairs and with other movement around the house. I'm glad you have scaled things way back to focus on rest, ice and elevation.

Now we need to work on that pain! You really are not supposed to suffer with a lot of pain and to do so means your pain management program in not getting the job done. If you tell me what medications you're taking (name/strength) and how often you take them, I may be able to help you. Allowing yourself to remain at pain levels in excess of a 4-5 for extended periods of time is not helpful to your recovery. We need to get that under control so you'll be more comfortable and hopefully sleep better.
 
Hi @bigt Are you able to nap at all?
 
@kneeper I have been cat napping to keep my sanity!
Knee is still in pain with stiffness. I see my doctor on Wednesday which puts me at two weeks since having surgery. Incision looks good I'm hoping my staples will come out. My ROM is still not great but continues to improve. Still a lot of swelling but I'm curious to see what my doctor has to say about everything.
Again thanks for all the support on this journey.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forumrkkk
 
Hi bigt just checking to see if you were able to get the staples out and hoping your doc appt went well.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Dr appt wasn't great.. My ROM was at maybe 70 Dr is already talking about putting me under to work on my ROM
All my staples were removed which was great cause now a lot of the pulling is gone. I'll be busting my rump to make sure I won't have to have my knee manually manipulated.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@bigt, it hasn't even been three weeks since your surgery. I think your OS is being unrealistic about your ROM. I'm sure you've read on here that you are in charge of your knee and no one else! If you don't want a MUA you don't have to have one. Give yourself time to heal and that swelling to come down. Then the ROM will come.
 
bigt,
Way to early for your OS to even mention a MUA, your knee needs time to heal, and recover before even considering a MUA. You are in charge of your knee and can say NO, there is no window of opportunity.
You have a lot of swelling, that is what is blocking your ROM. Right now all a MUA would do is allow your OS to shove your knee into flexion, irritating it very much and causing more swelling, especially since you seem to be prone to swelling.
Your PT should be doing retrograde massage, and electrical stimulation to help get your swelling down. As the swelling goes down your ROM will go up.

Here are a few articles in the library about MUA and ROM for you to look over.

MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions
MUA for Stiffness Following TKR
MUA: the ineffectiveness of early MUA (JBJS)
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" JBJS
ROM: it's worth the wait for ROM
ROM: it's never too late to get more ROM!
ROM (range of motion) information
 
Dr appt wasn't great.. My ROM was at maybe 70 Dr is already talking about putting me under to work on my ROM
Good grief! What's his rush?
It's only just over two weeks since you had this major surgery. Your knee is still traumatised and probably swollen. It will bend more easily as the swelling goes down.

There really is no need to hurry to get ROM, as it can continue to improve for at least a year after a TKR.
 
Bigt I'm sorry to read this but like everyone has said you are very early and for now don't over work your knee. Letting the PT do this to me, I believe caused me more issues and further inhibited my rom. Please listen to your knee and take time with this healing.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
'Busting your rump' is about the worst thing you can do right now. Concentrate on icing and elevating. Most OS aren't looking for anything around 90 before 6 weeks or more. There's no rush to have a MUA!
 
True--your "work" right now is ice and elevation (and gentle movements a couple of times a day). Good to hear you've been napping. I'm a big believer in listening to your body and resting when it tells you to. :)
 
Okay so I'm at 4 weeks post op and I'm only at a 75 bend. I have diligently done my PT and I'm disappointed in the lack of results. I am so stiff and swollen all the time and it is very frustrating. I ice and elevate multiple times throughout the day and my knee is still being uncooperative . Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to improve my ROM?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forumrkkk
 
Big T sorry about your results so far. I have been following your thread. You have been diligent about doing your PT and hasn't worked. Maybe you should take the advice that has been given here to you several times. STOP PT and get your swelling down. Good Luck in the future.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey bigt well I wish I could say something different but I think diligently doing your PT on a knee that is swollen is impeding your bend. Even though you are icing and elevating you are continuing to stress that knee so the icing and elevating isn't getting a chance to make a difference. Best wishes - takes time to heal
 
I am so stiff and swollen all the time and it is very frustrating
Your ROM is blocked by your stiffness and swelling. If you decide to keep going to PT work on, on getting your swelling down with electrical stimulation, retrograde or lymphatic massage, ice, and elevation. The only exercise you need is Heel slides and how to do them .
It appears that your having
diligently done my PT
has only resulted in
continued stiffness and swelling.
I agree with staix and LFitz , give your knee a chance to heal, slow down.

75 degrees at 4 weeks is fine, my OS did not expect 90 degrees until 3 months.
 
I am going to ask @Josephine our forum nurse, to ask you some very important questions that will help her get to the bottom of why you are having continued stiffness and swelling.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom