Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Bi lateral TKR 12/8/15 knee extension

@JBase So sorry you are struggling with this. Post op blues are very real and for some a major roadblock. Here's a thread from our Library about this Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it .

The best advice I can offer is roll with this. It does ease. But I do know there are times during recovery when it all just seems impossible. I can't tell you how many times I ranted and cried my eyes out post both THRs. Rest as much as you can - your body is dealing with major healing and energy levels are down.

Is PT hurting you. If so, be firm and don't allow it. That pushing can also add to the blues.

The good news is that you are very early out of some very major surgery. Go back and reread the recovery articles about activity progression and how long healing takes in your recovery thread. All this takes time and patience. But there are plenty of members out there who are seeing the benefits of TKR and getting on with living. You will too!
 
I was trying to read your post to my husband and broke down in tears. I am 7 weeks post op BTKR and I feel everything you're saying. It does seem now I am hurting more now that I've started OP PT. They do not hurt me at all and I do all my exercises in pool.... But it completely takes everything out of me. I am keeping the hope of one day looking back on this as just a step. I think the fact that we can do more then it wears us out is frustrating. Hang in there!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi JP,
I see that you've had both knees done. In that case, it's normal for the blues to hit extra hard, because your body has had double the amount of trauma.

The article that Jaycey left for you in Post #2 explains some of the reasons for getting depressed. Normally, this depression goes away after a while, especially if you keep your mind busy with other things, such as crafts you can do while resting, looking at TV and magazines, reading books as your brain fog clears.

However, if you feel the depression is not lifting, or if it's really getting you down, go to your doctor and see if he/she will give you a short course of anti-depressant medications.
 
@JBase based on your post and others who followed on your thread we started a thread in each recovery area to specifically address post op depression and share tips for coping. I hope you will drop in there!
 
It is a long recovery and as others said, it is normal to get a bit down. It was around week 4-6 I started getting those down moments, even with my 2nd knee when I knew what to expect. I tried to focus on what progress I had already made. But I also let myself have some:tantrum::cry: moments. Sometimes I just needed to lie down for a while. Hang in there.
 
It is making me depressed about the fact that (or, I perceive that) so many TKR patients are being led to expect that the recovery will be much quicker and easier than it actually is. I had a wakeup call when after hearing from the surgeon's PA that some patients are mowing the lawn at two weeks, plus other optimistic stories ... then a doctor friend of mine who had had TKR told me that no, it takes a year, that is, 12 months!, to get back to normal. I started believing him rather than what the others were saying and it lowered my expectations a lot, which turned out to be a good thing. I hope you pay a ton of attention to what @Jaycey and @Celle say (If I could have checked the "agree" button more than once I would have). The surgery is huge and it takes a loooong time to recover, but you are going to recover and it's happening now.

By the way, I am one of the Bilaterals and although it's true that the body has experienced more trauma, I remain absolutely personally convinced that Bilateral is the way to go if you have a choice. I hope you will appreciate this once you get a little more mobile. With both knees done, I more quickly learned to walk normally again without imbalance and leg-favoring and eventual increasing pain in the other knee! And I have the whole thing behind me for once and for all. That's my experience and at five months I'm more sure than ever.
 
Hi, after reading your comments about Pt making the knee more painful by increasing the amount of exercise i.e. bend that the knee wants is so true, I find by the time I'm finished I can hardly walk at all for the next couple of days, surely this is bad! So after reading the articles here, I have decided to rest with the leg up above my hips, take my meds and let my wonderful husband wait on me, and by Jove after only two days I feel much calmer although knee little stiffer. Please tell me I am doing it right this time. I am due to return to Spain in a few weeks, and the pt there does not speak English and needless to say my Spanish is almost non existent, so will rely on people like yourselves to help me through this. Thanking you for the help and advice you've already given me.
 
It does seem now I am hurting more now that I've started OP PT
@Scooper, I have posted to you in your own recovery thread about this.

I find by the time I'm finished I can hardly walk at all for the next couple of days, surely this is bad!
@Santer please start your own recovery thread so I can post to you about this.
 
Hi Jbase,

I burst into tears I'd say at least once a week?! I am at week 7 and have been an emotional roller coaster pretty much from the beginning. A lot of it has to do with pain meds, they tend to depress me. And as many have mentioned- your body has gone through so much!

Hang in there, keep following everyone's stories in here. And keep in the back of your mind how much better you are going to feel once you are cruising around with your new fancy knees ;-) At least that's what I'm doing!


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
@JBase Just checking back here to see how you are getting along? I hope you will come back soon and update us.
 
Hello all...
It's now been just over 12 weeks post op and I am getting around well, with stiffness and swelling towards the end of day...what concerns me at this point is every time I extend my left leg out I hear and feel a series of loud pops and cracks from my knee joint, when I place my hand over it I can feel the grinding and snapping...my wife can hear it from across the room...it is particularly Loud and painful when I get up from sitting or repositioning my leg...left knee is worse than right all though both "pop"..
Thoughts as to what this might be caused by?
Thanks,
JP

Bi-lateral TKR, 12/8/15
 
@JBase I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?

It is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.

We also have help articles here, you know! In here How To Use This Forum (it's in the "Help & Info" tab across the top of the page).
The article you want is this one How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Sorry bout that...
I'll keep it mind when I post...
Thanks,
JP
 
Hi @JBase
I'm wondering if your pops and cracks are like my clunks and clonks that started to get worse around week 11?
Check out my thread and let's talk?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom