Beyond Terrified and so terribly sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been wondering about you AND those steps! Happy to hear all went well. Just curious -- are they particularly wide steps? If not, how did you use your walker? You wouldn't have been able to put it on the step above, right?

Keep up the good work. Good to hear you made it, but not at all surprised. :heehee:
 
Ellen, The first step is very shallow and there is a big space before the three other steps into our house. I know I put the walker on the "big space" and stepped up from there. Funny, I honestly don't remember how I positioned the walker to come up but somehow I did. I'll have to wait until Monday when I have to go and have the staples removed. I'll have to figure out coming down those steps. Have a great evening
 
Hi Elaine F.
and everyone else on this thread. I am having a THR next Thursday and I am feeling exactly as you felt before your op. Reading your posts made me feel a bit teary, they were so close to home. Now feel a bit wobbly and very, very scared. But so good to hear it all went well for you, and for everyone else.
Please post to tell us how you went on in the days after your op. It would be really helpful to me, still on the other side.
Every good wish for your full recovery.
 
Brog13,
I wish you all the best with your surgery on Thursday. I was a big procrastinator and wanted to put the surgery off as long as I could. It drove me crazy! Sleepless nights and unending anxiety. Not to mention I could no longer work, drive or do anything constructive. A calm came over me once I was in the hospital and gowned and ready to go. No backing out now. You will do well! Has to be better than what you are dealing with now. It was such a help to me to know I wasn't alone in this. It's a major deal and we could all use a good shoulder to cry on. You can cry on mine. I started a new thread (i think today) on the Post-op side titled Basking (sort-of) on the Other Side. Take a look when you have a chance. I'm still very depressed and anxious but it's normal so i hear and temporary. Please let us know how you make out on Thursday. Everyone cares. God bless you and give you healing,

Elaine
 
Now completely in tears. Thank you. So much. xx
 
Hi Brog13
Nothing to worry about, you will have no problem
I am now 7 weeks post op and everything is improving day by day. I walked 3 miles today using mainly one crutch
I saw your post to 'sabresfan'.
Useful things to get:
Elephant feet - chair risers, I have 4" versions on the chair in the front room, and also 6" versions for our bed which is quite low, makes it easier to get in and out
Grabber- useful when you drop things on the floor so you don't have to bend to pick up
Small side table - useful alongside the armchair to put cups and books on
Long handled Shoehorn - makes you a bit more independent
Raised toilet seat - 4" raise I am still using it 7 weeks post op . Its quite comfortable actually
I was supplied with a pair of crutches by the hospital, but a walking stick (less than 4 pound from E Bay) is a good help around the house
I also bought some excellent Ice packs from ALDI, 2 of then with a linen pouch, great if you get any soreness on the wound. Stuff these inside my leisure trousers for half hour against the wound and you forget they are there
All these things you can get from E Bay or Amazon, or your local disability shop (but more expensive)
A lot of people have constipation afterward the op, usually due to the anaesthetics, so a good supply of Figs or Prunes work wonders ( I like the ones from Holland and Barrett) - this doesn't last too long

I was told to sleep on my back with a pillow between my legs so my legs do not cross, so a pillow or cushion between the legs solves this. I confess, I moved to the single bed for a while and put pillows either side so I did not roll and lay on my side - you soon learn to sleep well on your back, but I did also put another pillow under my calf muscles to keep my heels off the bed as for some reason, they got a little sore taking the weight

A few days time you will be out the other side and will realise its not so bad

Best Wishes.. Please contact me if you want any other info .... Mel
 
Hi Mel
Thank you! Actually have started to feel excited after reading your post.
Three miles! That sounds wonderful.
And thank you so much for the list of useful things. Ebay, and Aldi here I come.
One question, if that's OK? We don't have any chairs with arms, only sofas and armchairs - so soft, and dining chairs without any arms. Should I try to get a harder chair with arms?
So pleased you took the time to reply to me - much appreciated. Big hug.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom