Guest viewing is limited

Beyond Terrified and so terribly sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Elaine F. they will have you going up and down stairs until you are totally comfortable doing them. Can you use a walker. Most likely that's what you will go home with if you can't use crutches.

Heel slides are very gentle exercises they will give you to help you get that new hip moving. Don't worry about them - hips really don't need much exercise expect walking.

We were all just as scared as you are now. Just keep posting here and reading as much as you can about the procedure. It really does help!
 
Jaycey,
Thank you for your encouragement. I wont be able to post when I'm in the hospital but certainly will afterwards. I'm getting a very slight sore throat. Hoping it's better for Tuesday!
 
I'm getting a very slight sore throat.
Can't tell you how many times I have seen this. Lots of rest, vitamin C and stay away from others with colds or flu. If it's only the sniffles you will be fine.
 
Yikes! Only one more day to surgery on the 17th. Has anyone's OS told you that a narcotic prescription will go home with you and you should ONLY take it when the pain is bad and only for one week. Other than that to take tylenol. Now I'm even more scared! I wonder if anyone only took tylenol for pain and did ok with that?

Elaine
 
@Elaine - i am not yet post op but maybe i can comfort you some. I have been reading and studying this surgery for months now and people do not seem to be having problems with the pain. Secondly, I have seen over and over again how wonderful medications are. Put your trust in them and know that your medical team wants your pain controlled. But a good response is - but what if I am in too much pain to do the therapy? You may need to involve your rehab team in any pain control issues. Don't forget the ice!! Hope this helps. Read some of the post op postings.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you have time re read the mantras itd clear if it hurts dont do it and dont let them push you into painful activities. Re pain relief when there ask. If unsure stilll ask again. You will be fine im sure and in a short time be on the journey to recovery to no more pain. Good luck. By the way my wifes name is Elaine and her surname before started with F. Saw your post and asked wifffff oi thats some secret to keep. See you on the other side

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I wonder if anyone only took tylenol for pain and did ok with that?
If it was me I would ask for non-narcotic pain meds that you could take for more than one week. Your OS has obviously not had a THR. Just Tylenol post op usually will not be enough. And you need to stay ahead of post op pain so taking your meds "as needed" is not a good start.

Having said this, I left the hospital on Aleve 2X per day and was fine. Have a good discussion with your surgeon.
 
evr, Legin and Jaycey,
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my never-ending questions. I will question my surgeon after the op as to what is behind his philosophy. He also does not prescribe any PT. Just walking. One more day to go! As luck would have it, we are expecting a snow storm. Hope surgery is not cancelled because of it! Good luck with your surgery evi. When are you scheduled for? Again, thanks everyone!
 
Good luck @Elaine F The worst part is nearly over....please don't worry about stairs (although I was)..... It was so easy once they showed me how. I came out of hospital with paracetamol & codeine....which proved sufficient to keep the pain at bay.
I really had more stiffness than pain.
Won't be long until you have a great new hip! Looking forward to your recovery posts... Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
He also does not prescribe any PT. Just walking.
If you do any reading in the recovery area here you will see this approach is usually the best. Hips really don't need PT. Just keep mobile and increase your walking gradually.

All the best tomorrow! See you on the other side!
 
Hoppy Nanny,
I hope I do as well as you. Thank you for the support! I can't wait until this is all behind me. I hope the snow doesn't postpone it!

Jacey,
So good to know that PT is not recommended for everyone. Thanks as you've been so kind! I will start a recovery thread as soon as I'm home and up to it.

Elaine
 
Good luck, @Elaine F. ! You've already done the hardest part- the worrying and waiting. You'll be surprised how smoothly it all goes. You'll be glad you did it! :)
 
What are heel slides?
They are used for knees. Not necessary for hip replacements.
Has anyone's OS told you that a narcotic prescription will go home with you and you should ONLY take it when the pain is bad and only for one week. Other than that to take tylenol. Now I'm even more scared!
Well, if he holds to that, I suggest you contact your PCP(GP) and see if he will help out. I know of some people who have managed with only Tylenol but not many. At most you might only need codeine 60mg 4 times a day along with the Tylenol (1,000mg 4 times a day) or maybe Tramadol. Another point is that the period of needing strong pain meds may only be a very few weeks, sometimes it's only a month and thereafter, Tylenol is perfectly adequate.

I would also emphasise that being able to do stairs is/should be a #1 criterion for discharge. It is the PTs job to ensure you are safe for discharge and if you have stairs at home, that you are capable of using them safely.

Another point is that hips actually don't need much or any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

But it's perfectly common for people to range between uncertainty and outright panic. This is a big deal and you will be handing yourself over into the care of total strangers that you will probably not even set eyes on and letting them do things you have no idea about and that is scary. Only crumb of comfort I can offer is that these strangers do this several times a day, every day of the week. Or to put it another way, for you this is a big, unknown and scary deal, for them it's just another day at the office. But you can trust them. I used to be one of those unseen and unknown people in the OR and I took care of every individual that came into my care just as much as if they had been my own mother or father. They will too because they are professionals and know their job. So the only thing you really have to fear is the unknown and that we can help you with. Read around here and be educated. It will help you greatly.
 
Hi, Elaine! Wish I had seen your posts earlier, but this is the first time. I understand your fear about steps. You have 4 steps with no supports; I have ONE step at my front door with a frame around it. For some reason (can't remember why) I had trouble even getting my GOOD leg up on that step and, yes, I had walked up a series of steps in rehab (with banisters on each side) with no problem. I was paralyzed with fear & couldn't do it. Called 911 & a cop came & helped my husband lift a portable wheelchair over the step. In a pinch, this could help.

Soooo.... after that we started researching RAMPS! My hubby wanted me to be able to get in/out without a nervous breakdown (his AND mine!). Home Depot has a variety; it might save your sanity IF you're having trouble, which you might not, according to everyone else. We never did buy a ramp because hubby found a way to cobble together a makeshift ramp, which did the trick.

Hope the weather doesn't preclude surgery. Grit your teeth, close your eyes, click your heels together, & just turn yourself over to the experts. Everything will work out, you'll see. All the best.
 
Hi Elaine,

I'm 7 weeks out from my surgery and the nerves are already getting to me so you're definitely not alone. Good luck tomorrow! I'll check in on your recovery thread!
 
Hi All,
Thank you sooo much for your support pre-surgery. I am now 11 days on the "other" side and ready to start a post-op thread. There is a faint light at the end of the tunnel. I'll start that thread later on today. Getting a shower and getting ready for company!

Elaine
 
One more thing. I was so stressed out about how I was going to get up 4 steps to get into the house when coming home from surgery. No railings and unable to use crutches. Well, after all that wasted worry I zipped up those steps with a walker and got in just fine.
 
Chortle hope you planted a flag ontop. Well done you
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom