THR Bevelina's recovery

Thank you, yes the poles do give that xtra reasurrance, i keep trying just the 1 and focus on my straight centre line and heel/toe focus on walking. It is so very very nice not to always have to use the crutches
So happy they are working for you. I just spent the weekend walking around outside my lake property with the poles. I have hardly been outside there for a couple years because the ground is uneven and impossible for me to safely walk. With new hips and trekking poles for stability I could meander around and enjoy the nice weather. It was great!
Oohhhh thats great you can go there now. I bet that was indeed so extra special to be able to do that after so long.
Similarly..Been 4yrs ish since i went on a beach, or meandered through some woodlands, or go buy me some flowers; more or less housebound for so long, it’ll be a wonderland when i get out there! :) :-) (: I am sure you enjoyed that mindful soak in of nature, and much needed sunshine.
 
How’s it going...?
Persevering with the hiking poles round the house, though i still feel a bit penguinish (nrly 4mnth since 2nd THR, soon a year since the 1st THR).
I’m trying to not use crutches for much longer as they’re kn@ckering my shoulders, painful, after being in them 2yrs +.

Its good when i manage not to have them pesky things dangling off my arms constantly. I hope my walk gets better soon, and i can be freeeee!
 
It took me awhile to get off cane and at 4 months post op was still using outdoors so don't feel discouraged, plus you've had two hips done!
I couldn't use crutches either, I would have fallen & hurt myself if I had to use.
You will get there!
 
Hello fellow Smarties,
Sending out hope everyones coping and recovering.
Post 2nd op now, finally! & off crutches these last couple of months, patience has been the main thing in recovery. Not had any xrays to see is alls ok since (nxt checkup is jun25). But i’ve been managing to become more mobile as much as poss. .And still try not to overdo it. Getting outside has been great! And to drive about.
I wonder if others still have sore acheyness even after over a year for first hip replacement? i would have thought the 1st one would be ‘back to normal’ by now.. Over a year ago.
It was totally collapsed by the time i eventually got 1st surgery. Perhaps 1st op was done different to the 2nd. (My consultant not been very informative really, always rushed in and out at follow ups very quick).
I am trying not to worry, i have been through so much in last 3/4yrs…. but wondering if this sounds normal. I don’t have much support around me, so i do value this forum. I hope these aches are just nigglings of settlings still.
I have gained a half stone since immobile, which i’m trying to lose, realise thats helpful.

Any experience/advice on how its going or gone for you is much appreciated.
 
Hi @Bevelina. It is not unusual for us to have episodes of aches and pains into the second year of recovery. In your case, since you had both hips done less than a year apart, your body's alignment was reset twice - and your second surgery was less than six months ago so everything is still settling.

Can you describe in a bit more detail what you are experiencing so we can give you better feedback?

Also, please notice that I've merged your newest post into your original recovery thread because we prefer that members maintain just one recovery thread for continuity. Having all your information is in one place, makes it easier for you to find and also enables our staff to advise you better. And you won't miss or lose relevant posts and advice.

So, please post any updates, questions or concerns here. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You may want to bookmark your thread to make it easier to find. For more on how to navigate the forum, you can read through this article:
How can I find my threads and posts?

If you'd like a new title for this thread, please just let us know!
 
Many thanks for your reply benne68 and sorting my thread (i’m not very tech savvy on here. Also. Can’t see how to book mark?)

1st hip just feels a little uncomfy (outer hip, near glutes and the side). Like a dull ache. Its not all the time, but even when laying down on the opposite side it can start to ache when i’m still and relaxing. As you say about alignments still happening, perhaps i may be overdoing activities too soon?, i don't do sports, but doing my chores and shopping more, and going to parents more for their care. I have to keep them chirpy and well. So i don’t talk about me much. As i live alone and on a 1st floor, i do get a bit nervous in recovery. I still use crutches for the stairs.
Hardly been using pain killers, but have a bit more lately again. I am hoping this isn’t anything major, i have struggled to keep my head above water with alot of long term struggling on my own.
A plus though: after 4yrs solitary confinement, i had me a night out at an orchestral concert in a cathedral last month. Which was absolutely amazing! To get there. +overnight in 5* hotel without crutches. Such joy! I was exhausted on return, a few stairs to deal with, but I am so very grateful i have 2 new hips, i hope they will get to another concert in December.
Thank you for your advice about this, as ever. Smarties have been there for me since the beginning.
 
…I wonder also if its best to stop and elevate again and rest a few days.. or keep moving and push on.
 
Whenever things feel sore or aggravated, it's best to respect the clear message: rest, elevate.
Pacing yourself pays off in the long run.

It's wonderful you treated yourself to such a great outing!!!! Yes yes yes do it again!!!!
 
Sounds like such a fun evening out & good way to treat yourself.
I think once we have replacement parts there will be some days that give us a struggle.
99% of my days are completely normal but every so often still have a day I need to just relax & grab an ice pack. No clue why, but being 72 & retired I just go with it & figure anything I don't get accomplished today will all be there tomorrow.
I am walking close to 6 miles every other day & 2 miles on other days. And lucky enough to be able to hike again which I love.
After first year majority of my activities were restored. I had small set back Spring of first year of recovery but my own doing. And was my back not my hip.
Second year has been even better. Most days I don't feel a thing & I can now get my house done in one day not over 2-3 days. So it takes time.
I can't believe it will be 3 years this upcoming February. Where does time go, waits for no one that's for sure.
Hang in there, you will get there & we are here to boost your spirits if need be. It's tough to walk the recovery path alone.
 
I hope you’re doing well into this new year..
Yes indeed, the path of recovery’s a tough one when you’re on your own…

After flu & food poisoning over xmas/NY so far, i’m getting out about a bit, my newest hip is today giving me a new jip. (Op was feb ‘24).
I don’t get out that much so i fear i don’t walk enough. I’m on a 1st floor apartment too. It always scares me though, as to why i get pains, makes me very nervous. Been through so much these last 5yrs, with OA pain and eventual THR’s Aug 2023 and Feb 2024. Feels like i’m still waiting to get some kind of life back! Patience is still needed i guess… but i’m having to dig deep!
 
I don’t get out that much so i fear i don’t walk enough. I’m on a 1st floor apartment too. It always scares me though, as to why i get pains, makes me very nervous.
Try not to let this stop you. Getting out, or walking more may be the ticket?
Unless you have some type of pain that increases in frequency or intensity, don't let it stop you from jumping back into life.
Happy Wednesday!
 
Many thanks for encouragings (i apologise for the whinge, i haven’t got much choice but to endure on my own, not much in the way of a friend to lean on in life unfortunately).
I will try and get out for a wander more in the village. People at my local shops are chatty folks so that’s always nice and cheers me up amidst this. Today i’ve in n out of the car 5 times, always mindful of how I get in and out still, bit something’s aggravated. i think i’m still nervous of the new hipsters, panic a bit when a new pain appears. I find i still need crutches for the stairs here but i am so very grateful of walking steadily on the flat more.

My next followup with surgeon is June. I’ve not been given any xray checkups since either THR surgeries. Would be nice to have the extra reassurance, he never even examines me physically, surprisingly. i have asked for xrays, but he seems to not think necessary (?).

Yes. Happy Wednesday indeed! The sun is shining. And i bought me a biiig bunch of orange and yellow flowers on my travels today ..Yay! So its not all bad right?. I’m resting this afternoon and hope the aches ease.
 
Hi @Bevelina
Aches and pains that come and go are normal!

Our implants are awfully sturdy and you'd certainly experience a lot more symptoms if there were a problem other than soft tissues adjusting to your new structure.

Just rest a bit, maybe take a paracetamol... then when you feel better, that walking in fresh air and chitchat with the locals is truly the best medicine.
 
Ahhh.. Thank you :hugzz: its lovely to get reassurances on here, sure helps keep the reigns on my lonely brains! :)
Yes I shall do just that.. and feel better for reading you.
On reflection, i may have mindlessly done a bit more different bending and doings lately, trying to do gentle tidying up autumnal garden and reaching lower shop shelves.. still easy to over-do even at this stage. Perhaps contributed to the latest tweeks.
Must be more mindful even at this stage.

…Interesting to know other people’s opinions of this far on if anyone sees this btw.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom