TKR beth1954's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mazza, I am still on 3 different meds for anxiety and depression. But in times like this it all flares up. I know it has made it difficult for my daughter when she thinks everything is ok and then I burst out crying! She's pretty understanding and some of the same issues.
That makes me hurt just thinking about what your therapist did! Right now I would not be able to handle that!
I elevated my leg all night and this morning was the first time since Monday that it didn't feel tight as a drum. But it didn't last long. I'm back on ice and elevating. I just can't make any progress with it this way.
 
What my PT did wasn't until about 6-8 weeks in and it was just a sort of pulsing movement; nothing unbearable or for too long!

Interestingly, my own daughter who is in her mid-forties also suffers with a form of depression and we have identified that it seems to be a genetic disorder that has been passed down through both sides of our family. She has at last found the medication that suits her and is now going to stay on it as she goes through phases of feeling she can cope without and then caves in again.

It's at times like this, when the going gets tougher than usual, that we are inclined to be overwhelmed with the anxieties that we keep hidden for most of the time and it's sometimes a good thing to cry rather than contain the emotions. It's nothing to be ashamed of - a good release of the waterworks can help to wash away a lot of the misery and then you pick yourself up and start again. I'm still struggling at different times of each day; I took our dog for a half hour walk and on the way out I wondered why I was doing it since it was making my upper leg and hip hurt on the TKR side, but I managed it and we both felt good for doing so.

Tomorrow I have an appointment for Cortisone injections into my wrist and foot which I'm not looking forward to, but to be honest my wrist gives me far more pain than the knee now and so things can only get better.

Remember, you are a long way behind me in progress; let's see how you feel at 10 weeks and look at the comparisons.
 
really don't feel it would be appropriate for post-op, at least so early on in the healing process
I'm not convinced it's as effective as it's claimed. I would put it on a par with acupuncture!
As you start to walk normally, the skin surface will gradually dissipate the lumps as you move about.
Absolutely!
 
Still struggling with swelling although today it's not quite as tight as it has been. Just by a little but I'll take it! I have done gentle stretches while sitting in my recliner and I vacuumed my living room. I washed some clothes yesterday. Took them out of the dryer today. Haven't even put them away yet!
Yesterday I actually got in the car and drove a little bit. I had horrible craving for Chick Fil A. That's what it took to get me out of the house!
I have a question.......I will be going back to work around the 22 nd of this month. If I am still using my walker, would that be bad?
 
I wouldn't think so--use it if you need it. The important thing is stability and being able to walk correctly. How did the vacuuming go? I found that one of the toughest household tasks at first.
 
@beth1954 Using the Walker shouldn't be a problem to anyone else if you still need it. Personally I followed the advice of my PT and very quickly went to walking with one stick (opposite side to TKR) just to remind me to walk properly. It's also a good way of making other people get out of the way if they see you have an aid! I'm not using one at all now apart from if the ground is slippery and I'm walking the dog, which looks quite stylish too :egypdance:

What sort of work are you returning to? That seems rather soon after the TKR on 11th December. I would only just feel ready for something like that now (I am retired) and my surgery was 1st November.
 
Well vacuuming was a little tricky but I just did two rather small rooms. They needed it so badly.
I just still have too much of a limp with just the cane. When I use the walker I don't feel so "crooked" when I walk. That in turn makes my back hurt.
Yes it does seem rather soon to go back to work (to me) but in the U.S. that's pretty standard and you are just expected to go back at that time! The employer expects it and so does your doctor!
I'm not very excited about it either. I'm an Administrative Assistant so my job is mainly sitting behind my desk. Although I can get up and move about as much as I want to. I am going to start the first week with half days.
 
I was encouraged to use a cane only for that very reason - to remind me not to walk with a limp (or not to cheat as my PT worded it!). Even now I have to remind myself not to "pamper" the TKR leg by walking lazily.

I know what you mean about the pain in the back too, but that should ease as our bodies adjust to walking properly again.

Doing the Admin work means that you will at least be seated, but mind that the swelling doesn't increase because your leg will be in a downward position during that time. That's great that you can at least return for half days initially. Will you have much travelling to do?

We are fortunate to have the NHS system in the UK because everybody is individual in their health requirements and this can at least be overseen by a GP, who can sign a Sick Note to be issued to the employer with a statement of the patient's condition and anticipated date of return to work. I hope that makes sense!
 
Hi Beth, if I'm figuring it right, you'll be going back to work after just 6 weeks? That is soon. There is something called ADA that allows for you to take 12 weeks off from work for medical reasons without fear of losing your job. You don't get paid for that time, however if you have disability insurance, you would certainly qualify for short term disability which is 60% of your usual pay. I understand having to go back to work for financial reasons, but know that by law, if you file for ADA with your HR department, your job is supposed to be protected while you take the time off to heal. I knew nothing about ADA, disability or anything else before this surgery but am pretty well read on it all now ;-)

Keep up the good work with your recovery!!
 
There is something called ADA that allows for you to take 12 weeks off from work for medical reasons without fear of losing your job.
Agreed, although I believe it is the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act). And not all companies can provide this, however. For example, companies with fewer than 50 employees are exempt.
I was lucky. I took 8 weeks FMLA, and collected State Disability Insurance (SDI). I had private short term disability insurance (STD) that made up difference for the amount that SDI would not pay, for a total of 60% of salary.
8 weeks was challenging. I would have preferred 12 weeks. But I had a phased-in approach, where I worked from home for a couple of days a week. That made things a bit easier.
 
About FMLA: yes I could technically take more time off but I don't have very much leave time and also like I had said before, 6 wks will be what the doc is going to recommend. My boss is already emailing me asking when I will be back so that she can keep my temp informed. I called my surgeons office today to see if they could at least have me go back on the 27th, a Monday, instead of the exact 6 week mark which is the 21st. I did not get a call back from them today.
 
thanks @SFBaySailor , FMLA not ADA (pain meds brain) ;-)

Hopefully your OS will give you the 27th as your return to work date. The 6 extra days would be pretty valuable. I'm surprised that your OS said 6 weeks ..... I thought most of them used 12 weeks as the 'norm'. Hopefully you'll have a smooth transition back to work and all will be fine.
 
I hope you find more compatible nurses and therapists to work with. It is the main reason I changed surgeons because I knew that postoperatively I would not get along with him. It sounds difficult to deal with but your daughter seems up to the challenge. I know my daughter will do the same for me if the situation presents itself. Although I haven't had my surgery yet (1/28) I met with my physical therapist and the main thing she said was "there is no gain with pain". Basically don't rush yourself, don't do more than you can, rest when it hurts, sore is to be expected, and don't expect to be superwoman. I had an arthroscopic knee surgery a few years ago and the therapist told me I would be doing better if I wasn't laying around and eating! I fired him that day. He knew nothing, nor cared, anything about me. Found a new one and progressed by leaps and bounds. Be proactive in taking care of yourself.
 
I thought most of them used 12 weeks as the 'norm'.
My surgeon (actually, my surgeon's assistant) told me to take 4 weeks off from work! Not knowing any better, that's what I did. Needless to say, at 4 weeks, I was just transitioning from walker to cane, and I was in no shape to go back to work. I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get my FMLA, SDI and SDT extended for another 4 weeks. I went back to work at 8 weeks.
 
Even eight weeks seems a bit soon to me. Thank goodness I'm already retired from work. Your OA's assistant was being very optimistic!!
 
Yes, once your doc gives the recommendation of 6 weeks or even 4 weeks (yikes) it's hard to get around that!
I have tried to get a couple of extra home visits for physical therapist apparently that isn't going to happen. I'm going to tell them to get me signed up for outpatient PT and see how it goes. It makes me so nervous though that right this minute my stomach feels like it's in knots and there are tears rolling down my cheeks.
 
Oh Beth, I'm sorry you're so upset. :( I've certainly had more crying than non crying days since my TKR: Definitely get signed up for outpatient PT (i never even got the option of doing in home) and if your PT doesn't think you should be back at work so soon, they can write a letter to your employer. A lot can happen in a week though so your worry may be all for naught. I think I'm signed up for 6 Weeks. Try not to get too upset. Just take things one day at a time and be good to yourself!! ((Hugs))
 
Beth, a lot of the tears will still be due to the aftermath of the surgery and the discomfort you are still experiencing. Going to an outpatient PT would be the best thing you could do as they can properly assess your progress. Over here we don't have such a thing as home PT anyway.
Try not to let your emotions run away with you, although I remember that overwhelming feeling so well. I blubbered down the phone to a friend of mine who had gone through the TKR and she could hardly understand a word I was saying, but she talked me through and assured me that things would get better - as they have.
 
With outpatient therapy, I worry about the money and about the pain. That's really the problem. I am supposed to go back to work next week on Tuesday and I am trying to get that extended at least til the 27th. I have left 2 messages with my doctor's office and have gotten no reply. So I'm just sitting here waiting on that. I am also waiting now for the doc's office to set up physical therapy with the outpatient facility.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom