Being too young

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been through the wringer with the age bit, but we are moving in the right direction. :yes: My surgeon wants to do one more consult before setting the dates.

What is most important is your mobility and your pain levels. If other people can't understand, than it's their loss.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thats funny, I had the opposite reaction from family and friends. They kept insisting that I get it done already. I had to convince them that I need a OS to perform the surgery as I was willing to have it done years ago. I had my replacement done 6 months ago and now I running circles around those same family and friends. Its a miraculous surgery and the outcome in most cases are mind blowing. Best of luck , Iceman
 
Tell them, while smiling, that you are tired of being in pain, that your age has nothing to do with it, and it is the quality of life that matters---and that--"Life is to be savored and to be enjoyed---it is not meant to be merely endured."
 
Heard this many times! I had bilateral tkr at 42 in May of this year.

Just respond - my knees are not too young....lol
 
What everyone else said! My first OS said I needed surgery, but had to wait until I was 60. I asked whar metabolic change occurs between the age of 58 and 60 that I had to wait for. The answer was that it just works better then. He is not my OS now.:wink:
 
Ask them, "why?". "I have a condition that puts me in horrible pain every day, what possible benefit is it ti me?". Actually you are a much nicer person than me, because I'd probably only have two words for them.
 
I will likely have BTKR this year - I am 43 and have put it off since being told I needed it @ 36 (long story of lots of injuries since age 15). I am finally at the point of surgery because I am sick and tired of not being able to do the things I want to do in life! Why on earth should you suffer almost every day with no relief and no options other than surgery? Should you really stop all activity, become wheelchair bound and then have surgery? Heck no! if you haven't exhausted all other options, then I can see a case being made against surgery (at any age) - but without another option...why wouldn't you take a step that could drastically improve your quality of life?

I totally understand getting over the age-hurdle. It's not easy, but you're not alone! Best of luck to you - I look forward to reading about your progress and recovery!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom