Been on the other side 15 days! Need encouragement!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @summertime - so glad to hear that things are improving (however slowly). I too had AVN in my hips and am two weeks post op on my second surgery. Although my journey has been relatively smooth, I did have some ups and downs in terms of moods and pain. When I get down, or feel like things are going backwards, I try to focus on the fact that this too shall pass. The pain from the surgery is temporary, it will not last forever, and things will get easier. I was still using a cane to go up and down stairs when I had my second surgery, and although I as a little frustrated by that, I was still able to do more than prior to surgery. Putting my sock on my foot without aid felt like a miracle... and it seemed to happen overnight... one day I couldn't, and the next day I could.

Baby steps, toddler steps, leaps and bounds, as long as you are moving forward, you are doing great !!!
Hang in there !!!
 
Great post @drahdrah - I particularly like your last sentence... So true - you inspire even someone like me who is 2 years post - thank you!
 
Hi Summertime, yes you can do it!
I realized that If I could bear a little extra pain each time I tried something it got easier the next time I tried the same thing. Little things like moving my leg with my hands to bend my knee while laying in bed. Each little thing
was a little accomplishment and right away I thought If I could not do one thing I would try again and after a while the accomplishments were adding up each day. Set small goals and go for it! You will see progress adding up.
I believe that the PT and small goals I made for myself was the key, and trying to figure out the operation related pain was different from muscle pain.

Get better!
 
Thanks @Badhips @Moppet @Vetgirl @drahdrah @charmed-life @Jaycey @MajorHeidi @Josephine for all of the advice and encouragement.

I haven't checked Bonesmart lately and I just read a lot of your comments tonight. I just wanted to give an update. Most of you told me baby steps are good and to take it day by day, set goals and it would improve. Well I have been walking around the house. I try to do that every 1-2 hours. Not long and still doing the 50-50 weight bearing. The PT no longer comes to the house because she said if the Doctor only wanted me to walk and nothing else she was no longer needed. So I am trying to be diligent about my walking.

The last time I commented I said that I had gone from baby steps to toddler steps. It is amazing how you progress. I now have a basket on my walker. I really like it because it makes me feel like I can do a little. I am still the 50-50 weight bearing and can't tote anything in my hand and use the walker, so my basket helps me to move things from one place to the other. I don't put much in the basket because he told me not to lift anything.

Tomorrow will be the first day that I won't have a family member with me around the clock. I will be by myself except meal times and at night. I feel like I could walk without the walker, but I read something Josephine said to someone. If the doctor said to use 50-50 weight bearing he knows what he is talking about because he saw what the inside of the hip looked like and he knows best what to do. So, I will be doing 50-50 weight bearing until he tells me on March 17th what changes I can make. Yes I can do it!

Praying that you all are doing well.. xxx So glad to be improving daily!
 
@summertime Glad you are now making strides on your recovery.
I will be looking back on your story when I have my surgery in April.
Continued all the best!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Been on the other side 15 days! Need encouragement!!
@summertime, Just keep in mind as you go through recovery all the time you spent in pain and unable to really enjoy life, then it's easier to see that the time it takes to recover from THR is very, very short by comparison and worth every minute of it! You're right, YOU CAN DO IT!
 
Yay @summertime - I am so glad to hear that you are doing better overall. You can't change your mind at this point, so might as well move forward and enjoy the ride. I agree with @bottomshollow - right now things feel like they are taking forever, but in the big picture - the recovery time is quite short compared to the years of pain and suffering most of us have gone through to get here.

I hope that being home alone today is working out well, and that everything is under control !
 
@drahdrah Today is going real well!! I am walking every hour. I have a checklist and check off every time I walk. I have always loved using my checklists, I get to see what I accomplish in a day. This is the first day that I have used a checklist since surgery. Yay!! Miss having someone around, but I love to read, play word games, use the computer and watch a little TV. There are so many channels and it's funny, but there's nothing I really want to watch. So, when I am not walking I can find something to do. My son came over on his lunch hour and fixed lunch for me today. :) Sure hope I am walking well enough by June to walk on the beach..so looking forward to summertime. How are you doing?
 
@summertime Sounds like you are doing just fine! I could put full weight on my leg from the start (per doctor's orders) so its a little different. But at 4 weeks I was still using a walker I think anyway. Then went to a cane when it felt steady enough and now walking without it. I do take it when I'm outside since all our streets and sidewalks are still snowy and icy and will be for another month probably... Its nice to have things looking up - you'll see improvements every week. I'm home alone too - but more alone than you - my husband is in Brazil for 3 weeks. One daughter spends Sunday night and part of Monday here so I have that. But I can drive now too so not totally isolated!
 
Hi @summertime I'm sure your surgeon has a good reason for you to be 50/50 weight bearing. It's great to get a little independence isn't it?

The best thing the rehab organised for me was a 2 tier tray trolley which could be used as a walker.
I walked around getting my cup of tea or helping out where I could.....even got a glass of wine once!!!!

Keep up the good work
 
@summertime - I am so glad to hear that you did good on your own. I am doing pretty good on this end. I have been on a bit of a roller coaster emotionally because I seem to be tired all the time, regardless of how little or how much I do in a day, so I am a little frustrated with that. But overall, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about... I have had 2 major surgeries in less than 4 months - right???

As for walking on the beach this summer - I think you should be ok once the weight bearing restriction is lifted for you. I imagine it will take you a few weeks after that to go from a walker to a cane and then no aid at all. I am at 3.5 weeks post-op now, and I am transitioning from the walker to a cane. By next week I am hoping to put the walker in the closet :egypdance:.

P.S. I love making checklists - helps me remember things and keep me on track !
 
summertime,
15 days post op? I was still using narcotic pain meds at 15 days post op. I stopped them around day 17 and I noticed I needed to get right back on them (around the clock every 5.5 hours since Norco lasts only 6 hours). Around day 20 or 21 I was off and I went to basic 600mg of ibuprofen. During this time, you WILL take many many baby steps. I had posterior approach so I had to have the big wedge between my legs each night. I hated that wedge. I also had to do my exercises daily. Try to squeeze your butt together since you want to have tight glutes by 3 months post op. My glutes got tight around week 14-15. I wasn't doing my butt squeezes everyday and by week 12 post op I was only able to stand on my right foot for all of 1 or 2 seconds. By week 15 I was able to do much more including stand on right leg for 20-30 seconds.

I used my walker for all of 8 weeks. Some people ditch the walker at 2 weeks. I don't know how they do that. I was on it for 4 weeks and then went to a cane. For some reason I thought it was using the cane wrong and got scared. I was going to hospital for my PT and I remember not being able (at 4 weeks post op) to walk with my cane. Everyone was asking if I needed a wheelchair since I was so scared. I told them I needed a walker (since I left mine at home). So back on the walker I went for another 4 weeks. It took a long long time for me to trust my right hip.

Once I got to week 12, I ditched my cane! I thought I'd never get rid of that cane. It took a while for me to learn how to trust my cane. Since you are only (now) 1 month post op, I'm guessing that you still are not allowed to bend over forward and pick up something off the floor with your hands and still need to use a reacher. I had posterior and I wanted direct anterior, but what I had wasn't so bad. And I was able to do full weight bearing since I'm only 38.

Are you still on medication? If you are still using your walker - take note. Once you get off your walker you may feel deep groin pain when walking with a cane. This pain may worsen when you graduate from a cane to walking with no aids. The muscles in the legs in the groin is what helps us to take big steps instead of baby steps. I used to take baby steps too. After 12 weeks of taking baby steps (My PT said I was "guarding my hip") I had to take big steps to get that groin muscle working again. And it HURT to walk without a cane, but where it hurt was my right groin. I was given exercises to do to help stretch that muscle out.

As others have said you pain should be different from the pain you had before surgery. I still have pain around my 8 inch scar. I'm still numb on one of my scar right in the middle area. I still can't reach my right foot to put a sock on and I can't reach my toe nails to paint them or cut them. It sucks since I'm only 38. But I try to look at what I can do now. I don't have that deep bone on bone pain that I had for 25 years that resulted from a hip dislocation when I was 13. My pain is different (more like stiffness - and I still get very stiff if I sit for 30 mins). I'd say the worse of my recovery was in the first 3 weeks and it was still not all great until week 7. That is when my numb knee woke up since my entire leg from knee up was numb.

Just look toward 6 months and think of what you will be doing. I wouldn't think too much about the other hip right now. Some doctors wait 4 months, some wait 6 months or a year after the first surgery to do the next surgery. If I were you I'd wait a full YEAR to do the next surgery if the pain isn't that bad for you. It will take a while for you to fully heal. I'm told up to 18 months or 2 years. Everyone is different.
 
I was still using narcotic pain meds at 15 days post op. I stopped them around day 17 and I noticed I needed to get right back on them (around the clock every 5.5 hours since Norco lasts only 6 hours). Around day 20 or 21 I was off and I went to basic 600mg of ibuprofen

@sandee I stopped taking Hydromorphone last Thursday and I now used Tylenol time release 500mg if needed. I haven't taken anything in a couple of days.

Try to squeeze your butt together since you want to have tight glutes by 3 months post op. My glutes got tight around week 14-15. I wasn't doing my butt squeezes everyday and by week 12 post op I was only able to stand on my right foot for all of 1 or 2 seconds. By week 15 I was able to do much more including stand on right leg for 20-30 seconds.
I was doing this more before I started walking more, so I guess I need to get back to those exercises. I have only done this once today. I guess I need to this frequently. Thanks for the info.


Just look toward 6 months and think of what you will be doing.
Thanks sandee for sharing your experience. I am looking toward the future and hope you continue to improve. So sorry that you are going through this at a young age, but your experience has really help me! Take care..
 
As for walking on the beach this summer - I think you should be ok once the weight bearing restriction is lifted for you. I imagine it will take you a few weeks after that to go from a walker to a cane and then no aid at all. I am at 3.5 weeks post-op now, and I am transitioning from the walker to a cane. By next week I am hoping to put the walker in the closet .
@drahdrah I am glad you are getting along so well. I sure hope you get that walker in the closet next week! :) I will be glad when mine goes there too! I will be on my walker for another four weeks at least. Hopefully he will let me off by then.

I seem to be tired all the time, regardless of how little or how much I do in a day, so I am a little frustrated with that. But overall, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about... I have had 2 major surgeries in less than 4 months - right???
You have every right to be tired after having 2 surgeries. I have had only one and still want to take naps. Was taking two, one in morning and one in the afternoon for a couple of hours each. Now I might take an hour nap in the afternoon, but I am usually in my recliner resting when I am not walking.

Take care of yourself hope to hear an update from you soon...Take care Vickie
 
I had TRHR Anterior approach January 16h, 2014. I have been having a hard time recuperating. I used my walker until March and started using my cane around the house and sometimes walker. In May I started walking in the house some without my cane. Now I am not using a cane in the house. I have forgotten to take a cane with me several times when leaving the house. Yay! My main concern is that when I walk up stairs I lead with my surgical leg because my left hip will not get me up the steps. My surgical leg feels tight in the hip area and I can really feel that it is an artificial hip. I told my OS my concern and he told me that my hips are at 118 degree angle and they only make replacement joints at 130-132 degrees. So, I am probably feeling the muscles and tendons pulling when I walk up steps. I am not doing a lot of exercise walking because my left hip is in a lot of pain and needs to soon be replaced. Has someone else had this problem? Does it correct itself? Is it something I have to live with? I am wondering if I am going to continue to have a hard time climbing stairs after I have both replaced. Really dread having the second replacement done because of the recuperation time of my first hip. I have it scheduled for September, but sometimes I want to cancel because of previous post op pain and the hip degree issue. Thanks for your help.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@summertime I am also having a hard time with stairs. At pt last week, they had me step up on a (low) step about 10 times. I almost couldn't do it... felt like it might give way. My knee swelled after that appointment and they decided to hold off on the steps. Don't know if it's my knee, weak thigh muscles or what. My pt thinks it is a strength issue. I was almost never going up steps for about a year before surgery. It is a very frustrating situation, isn't it?
 
I'm confused by your surgeon's comments with regard to range of motion. Average range of motion for hip flexion for a female your age is about 130 degrees. That's with a healthy, natural hip. Your artificial hip has a similar range of motion, so that wouldn't be a limiting factor here. It seems more likely that your decreased range of motion is caused by soft-tissue limitations.

A couple of things come to mind. What was your ROM like before your THR? If you had limited ROM pre-op, it may be difficult to develop more ROM afterwards. Have you had any physical therapy to try to improve your ROM and/or your overall level of mobility? PT isn't usually necessary after THR, but in your case it might be helpful. By six months post-THR, most people are back to their normal activities (including climbing stairs) and are forgetting that they even have an artificial joint.


Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
@alexthecat I believe he was talking about the angle at which the ball is going into the socket, not the angle of rotation. I had limited range of motion before surgery. The doctor stopped my PT because of the pain it was causing my left hip.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom