Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Bear2005's Recovery

@Jockette Hi Jockette, it's been many months since i've been on this site. except for a small donation, i receive much more from you all than i give. i'm almost 9 months post bilateral knee replacement. i'm 60 yrs old and an ex-athlete. I started fast in recovery and have done nothing to improve my strength in many months. Just don't have the mental fortitude to deal with the discomfort of working out, another story. I'm writing you to ask what should i do. Everybody's "normal activities" are different. I haven't worked in 11 months due to Covid, so i have had the time. I cut the lawn, do the house chores, hike and walk and the normal stuff, all with no pain. I have tightness, but i do have pain going up and down stairs and getting out of a chair. i feel like i should be further along. sorry for the drama, just not sure what to make of all of this. Thanks for any help you can give. I hope you are well and thank you for all you do. -Bear
 
I cut the lawn, do the house chores, hike and walk and the normal stuff, all with no pain. I have tightness, but i do have pain going up and down stairs and getting out of a chair.
These are all good activities of daily living. Some of us just take longer than others for complete healing. I continued to improve after my one year anniversary, and, after my second and even after my third anniversary. Don’t give hope that it will happen for you!
 
That all sounds pretty normal for almost 9 months post-op, @Bear2005 .
Complete recovery does take a full year and you're doing well.

Many people still have tightness and pain on standing up and doing stairs at 9 months after surgery.
I don't think you need to do anything extra. Just keep doing what you are and let Time and Nature finish their job of healing your knee.

Walking is the best exercise for a new knee, so you could concentrate on increasing that, as long as your knees don't object.
 
Back
Top Bottom