Guest viewing is limited

THR Bayfoxnw's Recovery Thread - Back Pain Was Hip Problem

Take it easy - a day of rest will help. The cane bothered my shoulder muscles at first too but each day I put less weight on it and it's better
 
Thank you Charmed-life. I really appreciate your support and experience. It has really helped me.
 
I do not know how to post on my own post without having to find a old post to add to.Where do I go to post on my own thread?
 
My strategy post THR was to allow myself an active day. But the rule was one active day followed by a rest day. Pretty soon the rest days get shorter. Enjoy your visit with your cousin!
 
Take all the time you need to build up your strength each little milestone is a winner.
 
Thank you! If seems that my body wants to do just that. Try more one day and rest the other. I found myself walking a few feet without my walker this morning. It was an automatic thing. It was only a few feet but ,my body did it. Slept 8 hours again last night. Had a bit of trouble getting comfortable but then off I went. I am at 4 weeks Monday and I remember with the last surgery I improved at 4 weeks noticeably. My pain med times are really lengthening out.Some times 4 hours, then 6 hours and at bedtime 8 hours. I still need them when I need them though. When my pain shoots up it shoots and there is no stopping it unless I take my pain meds. Today is a good day.Here is a funny thing. My left side has taken a back seat pain wise since my right THR. Last night my left THR let me know it needed comforting (ice) and elevation. I think that means my right side is getting better and my left side has taken all the work and needs a bit of rest here and there. Sometimes I forget there are only 7 weeks a part.
 
Haha @bayfoxnw these joints do like to say "Remember me? I want some attention as well!" just like a child who has got a new brother or sister! Hope you have got plenty of ice packs - or budget packets of frozen peas, they mould around a joint nicely and can be re-frozen (just remember to mark them "not for eating"!)
Regards Anne
 
Thanks Nannyannie. I do have my ice packs all ready and I use them. Thank you for the support!
 
Well here I lie in bed as I had the worse night I have had in weeks last night. That is what is so frustrating at times when I am healing. I feel I am making really good progress and then boom on my back for a day. My right side was on fire last night. My left side started sending shooting nerve impulses down from my back to hip down the left leg. I iced and repositioned and increased my dose of pain medications and muscle relaxants at 3am to the max doc gave me which is 2-5mg oxy and 2 methocarbamol. Had to do the same at 7am and finally got the pain to release its hold on me about 9am. My poor hubby up getting me ice packs and me moaning and groaning with every attempt to move my body to try and find what I call a sweet spot to stop the pain. My cousin came over
 
So what schedule are you on for your pain meds now?

If you're not on a set schedule throughout the day and night, I would suggest you experiment with what works to keep pain at bay and stay with that. It sounds to me like you're bouncing around trying to lengthen the time between doses of your pain meds. When you do that, eventually the pain will build up to the kind of pain storm you had last night. And....as you found, it takes way more medication to get it under control then than if you just took the meds on a schedule. You're still early in recovery for your second hip. You need to be on something on a regular schedule if you have pain problems like this.
 
So what schedule are you on for your pain meds now?

If you're not on a set schedule throughout the day and night, I would suggest you experiment with what works to keep pain at bay and stay with that. It sounds to me like you're bouncing around trying to lengthen the time between doses of your pain meds. When you do that, eventually the pain will build up to the kind of pain storm you had last night. And....as you found, it takes way more medication to get it under control then than if you just took the meds on a schedule. You're still early in recovery for your second hip. You need to be on something on a regular schedule if you have pain problems like this.
Jamie,
You called it on the nose. I see my doctor tomorrow and that is exactly what I have been doing so he thinks I am doing right by my medications and in doing so I have not been doing right by my pain. This is what I like about this site, when someone gets blurry eye minded someone else puts on their glasses so they can see a bit clearer when trying to understand what went wrong. Thank you!!
 
You're so welcome, hon.....just want you to be comfortable. That's number one with me!
 
My pain schedule doses had been 1-2, 5mg oxy every 4 hours. My surgeon changed my dose to 1- 5mg every 4-6 hours even though I told him I was still using 2 at night time and sometimes throughout the day depending on what my activity is,when my pain level is usually at the highest point. Now before surgery my base medication for chronic back pain was 1-2, 5mg oxy every 4-6 hours up to six tablets a day. I had titrated down because of my up coming surgery so I would have coverage with oral pain meds. I had been on 1-2-5mg tab every 4 hours of which I was using between 8-10 tabs a day again depending on my activity and pain level. Tomorrow I see my GP not my surgeon and I want him to take over my meds as I am getting tired of explaining myself to a secretary with a tone in her voice like I should not be on any medications. It is quite apparent saying things like,"I will get back to you if he chooses to fill it." I hate defending my pain all the time. I am a nurse and I never questioned a pts pain. Before my arthritic hips and back went south all I took was ibuprofen. I have never been a drinker or pill taker. Just didn't do anything for me and did not need it to have fun in life. My state has all these laws that have the doctors afraid to prescribe pain pills and that is where this is at. they have to take a 4 hour class to be able to prescribe pain pills over a moderate level and none of them want to take the class or be responsible for the patients who NEED pain medications. My level is at or below the 40mg a day moderate level and still I have to fight so I do not suffer. I did not ask for arthritis to suddenly attack my spine and hips so fast as to knock me on my rear but it happened and the x ray prove it happened and I get so tired of defending myself. So I go on tangits and lower my pain meds to try and make my doctors happy and I suffer horrific pain when I do. But and I say but I hope my hip surgeries settles my back pain down so I can go on with my life. My left side before last night was doing very well. Thanks for listening.
 
You will probably be better off with your GP if you can get that to happen. The thing is, there are many choices for pain relief and your surgeon even has the option to step you down to something like hydrocodone or even Tramadol if you still need prescription meds. Whichever doctor you talk with, ask about a step-down drug if they insist on reducing the oxy dosage. That can work for a lot of people. It may not for you if you have back issues that you're treating as well. You're smart.....you know what's going on.....you can handle it!!!:thumb:
 
Another day in the life. It is not that I cannot handle what is going on I just get tired of handling what my health providers get paid and should handle for me. I have done everything asked of me to rid myself of my pain. I could of taken the no surgery route, I didn't. I have had every surgery to get me better that I could take and will con't to take to get my independence back.If I had not followed through with what a client needed to make them heal I would of been out of a job. I followed through and then some. I am just tired today. With no sleep last night I am a kranky gus today. I will be fine. I get frustrated sometimes with this whole pain med and pain controlling everything I do. I want my life back I had two years ago and I grieve for that. I have a very good chance of my back settling down in a few months with having these hip surgeries. I have done the research now I have to wait and heal. I feel I will be moving toward my best by June. Today is a blue kind of day because of no sleep. Tomorrow will be better this I know! Oh and my GP I have had for 40 years. He is a good doctor just to clear that up. He found my bad hips and apologized for what I had been put through. He will do what is right for me. I am frustrated at the surgeon's office staff if you really what to dissect what is bothering me. I will handle that when I see my surgeon next month and handle it like the professional I am. It will be a learning experience. thanks all for listening.
 
I can hear the tiredness in your post. I hope you are able to get some rest tonight. It will make things better. Sending you ((((HUGS))))).....
 
Do hope you get the medication dose right for your pain @bayfoxnw....it's frustrating when you have good days and then feel like you are going backwards....I think that it's part of this recovery ...just when you thought you were moving forward! But I hope you have a better nights sleep and tomorrow is a good day for you. Take care. Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Well here I am tired but tired from doing something. A much better way to be tired from. Went to my GP today and yes like the advise/suggestions I had gotten from this site I did get a better response to my needs from my GP. He will be taking over my medications.I start PT on wednesday. I go to my spine specialist tomorrow for a review of the pain in my lower back. Went to the grand opening of my youngest sons little store and hubby bought the first item for luck.. Boy oh boy am I tired. I have had this PT before and he is gentle and owns his own clinic so he is never rushed. Well thank you all for your positive feed back! I really appreciate the support i get from those of you here who are here out of the goodness of your heart to help me and others. Thank you for your time and excellent advise and or suggestions to boost me up when I am down. Have a good day all!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom