THR Barefoot again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sunny girl , @Tiffany57 , great to read your posts, and for me to read about life in the heat when we in my part of the uk are struggling with 0 degrees here & I can't do my exercise walking as the pavements aren't defrosting at all during the day!

You mention appetite- I'm 3 weeks post-op & my insides just aren't happy, ever since hospital. I am on no meds now except for a blood thinner & the occasional small ibuprofen, but I too feel slightly queasy after eating, especially rich food -& my beloved husband is using this as an opportunity to go wild in the kitchen - if he can add raisins, spices, beans to a dish then he'll do it with a spade! I had no nausea post-op, & lived on prunes & healthy stuff in hospital which soon got rid of any digestive issues, but it's as if I'm still on that diet. There are no side effects listed for the blood thinner, but I wonder...like you, I feel hungry but then can't eat much, or regret it if I do.
Anyone else?
 
Brrr ... you watch out for those slippy paths @doopy, they're deadly.

The amount of drugs delivered during and after surgery has a systemic effect which must take quite some time to filter out - plus our bodies are coming to terms with the sheer physicality of the surgery (it takes it out of the surgeons too!), the resulting profound internal physical changes (we have foreign objects in our bodies, in effect), and the many layered processes and challenges of healing, plus understandable emotional wear and tear. No wonder your tummy is upset. Each individual reacts afterwards in different ways to the onslaught. I also felt very cold, despite sub-tropical temperatures (sorry to rub that in). Also, don't forget, we've been in a sustained state of depletion prior to surgery, bearing horrible pain, anxiety, and frustration. We've been through a lot, when all is said and done. We have to remember we've been through exceptional circumstances, even though we look normal on the outside.

Our bodies will adjust in their own time doopy, three weeks out is very early days, but I hope these symptoms pass soon! @Tiffany57 has a handy hint and uses seasickness pills to assuage nausea, or maybe your GP could prescribe something.

Any idea when your right hip is due? I'm waiting for my left. Are you coping okay on your remaining hip? I'm not!
 
You put that very well @Sunny girl ! I agree that the loss of appetite could be due to the anaesthetic, which, I've read somewhere on here, takes 3 weeks to clear from the system.
Despite taking Kwells with my meds, I still feel slightly nauseous and headachy at times. This morning (day 14) I also felt quite light-headed and clammy, as I was getting ready to go out for my check-up.
I just read about the lovely food you had in hospital, @doopy ! Profiteroles, no less! Are you sure it's not just withdrawal ??
My DH sounds just like yours vis a vis the gourmet meals he's preparing with so much love and devotion . ....I feel so guilty that I 'm not able to do them the justice they deserve!
Perhaps it's just aswell we're not able to 'hoover' up lashings of grub, because in this semi-catatonic state of slothfulness only minimal calories are necessary.
Better to make those calories as nutritious as possible, concentrate on quality not quantity. My motto is JERF....just eat real food.
Stay off those slippery paths!
 
Day 14: Up and dressed early for my first post op check up. Don't know if it's the steamy weather, but as I said above, I was a bit clammy and light-headed, so took it slow on the stairs down to the car.
Arrived early and had time for a coffee at the hospital.
OP asks me to show him my walk....without a crutch at all! Quite a contrast to my first THR when I arrived at his office on 2 crutches.
After dressing removal and one stitch snipped, I leave with permission to drive....so long as it's an automatic, another script for Targin, (which I will probably not get through) and a follow-up appointment for April.
He's not a believer in PT and says the tightness in my quads will ease up just with walking. He also agreed that the additional pain I experienced this time was due to the stretching of ligaments to address the 20mm LLD.
He didn't notice that I wasn't wearing those charming TED sox.....sorry, but I cast them aside a few days ago when it was just too darn hot to wear them!
Actually, I'll confess to breaking my grabber in my haste to be rid of them! DH wasn't home and I simply had to get the left one off somehow....
 
PS: OMG! someone hang out the flags and organise a parade!!:fasthorse:
I'm not sure how it happened, but somehow I got those pesky Christmas cards written yesterday ....and posted off today!! Woot!
 
Hi @Sunny girl , yes, of course you are right - one forgets sometimes what a shock all this must be to the system, especially to parts which we may not be physically aware of, and also starting off with the months / years of struggling with pain. Thank you for reminding me to just be patient and listen to my body!! Today I'm taking it very easy, I didn't sleep too well and so am settling down for a nap, having done nothing except get up, shower, tidy a bit etc. I'm aching, so one small paracetamol and a snuggly blanket in the recliner. I just don't feel like fighting it today. You ask about the other hip - the amazing pain-free honeymoon period after the injection (which was done during the THR) is definitely wearing off, and that pinching in the groin is happening every time I lift my leg - ouch. That hip's fine at weight-bearing but the pinching when I'm sitting or moving my leg is acute. I have no idea when I'll get that one done - I know that the x ray showed it wasn't anywhere as bad as the other, but actually the pinching is far more painful as it happens all the time, even when not walking. But I really want to wait until husband is home for a long period (he teaches, so has long vacations) as this has been a lonely experience with him out for 12-14 hours a day.
Sorry to hear your other hip is also playing up!!
 
Well done with the cards, @Tiffany57 ! Still just looking at mine in their boxes!!! But I did make Christmas puddings yesterday - a bit late, but should be ok, and psychologically it was some kind of statement that I haven't totally given up.
Fantastic news re your follow-up appointment success!! And I was a week ahead of you - I'm so jealous you can drive - I can't believe it!! Here i don't see my OS until 6 weeks - he's making it slightly early just because Christmas is in the way. I too have an automatic, and it was my left hip which was done (so that works and is ok, for any of you who drive on the "wrong" side of the road!!!), but i guess I'll have to wait, just another 2 weeks. Glad your gait has got the seal of approval - and without crutches - I can only dream!!
Glad I'm not the only one with an ambitious cook in the kitchen!! And yes, I nearly broke my grabber today trying to ping a TED off! I don't mind mine too much, and at least they are keeping my feet warm.
Here's my moan no.438 (at least) about being on crutches: having to use one get out of the shower, which delays me reaching for a big fluffy towel - I hate that extra 5 seconds being wet and cold!!
By the way, is that your cat in the boot? So cute!!
 
Also, don't forget, we've been in a sustained state of depletion prior to surgery,
This makes a lot of sense to me. I know some manage to stay fit up until surgery but for many, me included, any kind of aerobic exercise was off the table. Add that deconditioning to the pre-op stress and pain and no wonder we experience tummy troubles and weakness for a while post op.
 
Very nice indeed, being able to drive @Tiffany57, after only two weeks! Liberation is a wonderful thing. Everyone I asked told me to wait until I saw OS at week 6 - mind you I have a manual car (but he didn't know that). Sounds like this second surgery has had a wonderful result for you re your LLD :) Congratulations!

Putting those TEDs on is an impossible task if there's no-one there to help. I purchased a device that looks like a giant milk bottle holder (you know, like the plastic-coated wire ones in England which fit 4 bottles that you leave out for the milkman). You stretch the sock into it. Now, imagine my calf is the giant milk bottle that descends into the awaiting sock, then you hoik the sock up with the handles ...

Talk again soon. Hope you enjoyed your first taste of freedom.
 
Christmas puds! Much more impressive than sitting in bed scribbling a few cards @doopy! Good for you!
I should say, I haven't been behind the wheel as yet and will wait until I've given up on the daytime Targin. I was quite surprised to be given the go ahead so soon tho', as last time the prerequisite criteria were 1. able to walk without any aids and 2. able to walk up and down stairs unassisted and without holding on .....I wasn't able to fulfill those demands until 30 days post op. I'm certainly not game to do the stairs quite yet.....obviously, having an automatic and left op leg is the clincher.
I hope I haven't given the impression that I'm gaily marching around crutch-free! I only took a few steps in the OS's office and am very cautious going crutch free within the confines of indoors at home.
So, in some ways this 2nd hip has been easier, in that the much higher pain levels I had in the first 10 days have at least been reasonably short lived. Also, the watershed moment of forgetting a crutch came much earlier on day 9, instead of day 28 last time. Another thing which could be a contributing factor this time, is that I was nowhere near as disabled as I was with the first. Some very restricted ROM, mostly during abduction and very little daytime pain. Minimal muscle wastage. I've read on here that the less disabled you are going in, the quicker your recovery. Unfortunately, I didn't have an option with the first but to wait the 12 months for private insurance.
The kitty is cute! But not one of my 4!! Although they are just as cute...:kitty:
 
@gertie I understand about lack of exercise preop. I could not walk down my drive but I could swim! And that was all I could do with ease. So, I made a commitment to swim every single day in summer until my surgery Sept. 1st! With two surgeries I knew I would be out of the water awhile! But so worth it!

@Tiffany57 I understand the stomach issue. Ibuprofen can be extremely corrosive to intestinal mucosa.
I had to go off that because it tore up my tummy. Will never take it again! Also, I was on aspirin post op as blood thinner but took half the dose for half the time and it still upset my stomach. Aspirin is also an NSAID.
Josephine has an article on NSAIDS that is very informative.
 
Sorry to hear about your Ibuprofen issues @SwimGirl. Other than Celebrex, which I stopped on day of THR, I have not taken any NSAIDS. Today I gave up my morning Targin and so far, so good :eyebrows:. I've only had Panadol Osteo today. Seems to be helping with 'brain fade', too.
When will you be able to swim again?
 
@Tiffany57 Thank you! My stomach is just so sensitive. I only ever took Tylenol extra strength post op. Wasn't in pain, just had some discomfort. Not worth sending more meds down the pipe! It was the aspirin as anticoagulant
That got me. Better that than DVT. Now just being very careful. I don't swim until weather is consistently warm.
Don't like cold water. In winter days are warm and nights are cooler making water too chilly for me! I Need to make sure scar heals before going out in sun or it will turn dark. So, it is best to wait.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom