Guest viewing is limited

THR Balance - Physical or in Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far is this "lap around the floor"? While your dad does need to get up and move around every hour or so, at this early date he probably would do fine with walking around the apartment from room to room. Do find out what "work" he thinks needs to be done. You really don't want him overdoing things.
 
I do know that "motion is lotion" and he must walk at least a lap of his floor (he lives in an apartment building) at least once every two hours.

I called him this morning and he told me that he had too much work to do. What work? PT is the most important thing right now. Any ideas on how to motivate him?

I'm sorry to say that I have to disagree. PT is not the most important thing for him right now. His hip is not weak from lack of exercise. It is traumatized from very invasive orthopedic surgery. It doesn't need exercises to strengthen it. It needs rest, elevation, and pain meds in order to heal.

Also, I'm not clear on how much walking you think he should be doing. A gentle stroll around his apartment a few times per day is good. If you're suggesting that he walk around his entire building every other hour, that's a lot more activity than he really needs at this stage.

If you go back a page in this thread, Jo gave you a list of helpful articles to read. One of those deals with her recommended activity progression for THR patients. It might be useful to take a look at that.
 
Thanks for the input. He moves around the apartment. He is able to shower by himself. But he never elevates his feet while he is sitting down and you have to keep reminding him to not cross his ankles. He gets angry at me for nagging.

I will stop nagging and hope the PT person lets him know what he has to do. It is 4 weeks since the surgery and I was hoping to see him moving around a bit more. He lives on the 27th floor and going down for the mail (by elevator) wouldn't be a big deal, but he hasn't done it. I will ask the PT person if walking the halls is okay. He hasn't been near steps.

I guess I thought that by now he would be a bit more mobile and would have some motivation to get up. But he is 85, which means his recuperation will be slower than I want.

Thanks,
Yaka
 
Yaka,
I'm 57 and my recup was a lot slower than that. I was able to walk a few steps around an apartment after 5 or 6 weeks. From my perspective he's doing well since he's showering by himself. I couldn't shower by myself for a long time. Not even after 2 months. It took me about 4 months to be able to shower by myself. I wished I had been able to pick up the mail after 3 months.
Lumiere
 
Hi,

Does anyone know Medicare rules? Can my dad go out of his apartment building (for dinner, etc.) or will that negate his Medicare home care. Right now he has a visiting nurse and PT coming 3 times a week.

Thanks,
Yaka
 
Sorry, I can't advise you from Australia, but I am sure someone from the US will have the answer.. :)
 
I wouldn't advise him going out for anything other than a medical appointment while he has home health. There are rules in some states that require a person to be "home bound" to receive the care. Remind him that it's only temporary. Trips like eating out will tire him tremendously right now. He needs to avoid that, as it's MUCH easier to have a fall when you are tired and not moving as well as normally.
 
Thanks. I did find the Medicare info and he cannot go out for dinner. Doctors appointments are fine

I have another question regarding sock aids and getting tension socks on. My dad seems to remember that the OT recommended
Lubricating his sock aid with something but he can't remember what. Or did she recommend her lubricate his leg.

Any help with this would be appreciated. His aide is helping him, but he has her for only one more week.

Thanks
Yaka
 
Hi again,

Things are moving along well. My dad has walked with a cane with his physical therapist. Of course there is a new hurdle to overcome. His live in caregiver is leaving on Friday. He has been able to get his compression socks on, but needs assistance getting them off. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Maureen
 
When was your father's THR performed?
 
My dad's surgery was 9/16. Today I saw him walk with the cane. It is the first time in almost a year that he hasn't used a walker! I was so excited.
 
That's great news! It sounds like his recovery is progressing really well. Especially given his level of disability prior to surgery. I'm thrilled for you both.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom