Guest viewing is limited

Baker's Cyst

Status
Not open for further replies.
For seven months (after my bursitis/tendinitis disaster started) I was afraid to do anything. The doc said to rest it, then start again. I never knew if I'd help or harm by exercising. How can you know if you're going to push it and make it worse?

And, that's how weight gain happens. Little activity combined with the body conserving every calorie and increasing the appetite to make up for the weight lost immediately after surgery. I lost 11 pounds in the weeks after, but ended up gaining 14 the last few months. I get lots of protein to avoid low blood sugar, but I was so hungry all fall and winter.
 
Pat,

There is nothing that makes me want to eat more than lack of exercise--so I relate to your dilemna!! I guess you will have to start with something benign--like walking and see how it goes. Then, add more in little baby steps until you are moving again.

I got bursitis in my left hip and it did catch my attention. I went to a chiropractor who is trained in release and he was able to free my hip up with four or five sessions. I still have some aching when I stand too long in one place, but it is much better.

I think you should start in a pool---exercise is so much easier in the water--the buoyancy of the water helps so that there is no extra jarring on the joint. I know, I am lucky to live ina small town--it is only 10 minutes to the gym here and there is a warm, therapy pool and a lap pool and a hot tub. Plus, Ipay $35 a month. Yes, i am lucky---but, it is worth a search to find a pool near you. Sometimes hotels will rent out pools, YMCA has pools, schools sometimes have them and have evening hours for citizens--look hard because a pool could be your salvation right now.
 
After my first surgery my physical therapist did not recommend the leg extension exercise (did several other strenghtening exercises). However, my doctor wanted me to use this exercise as I was getting an asymmetrical re-building of my quadreceps. There was a caveat however....he did not want me to bend more than 45-60 degrees (never go past 90 degrees). He showed me how the muscle would "fire" at that degree of bend and therefore the muscle would gain benefit from the exercise. He recommended the same limit on my inclined leg-press exercises.

While I will never re-gain the muscle mass I once had....have been able to re-build a significant amount with continued hard work.


Steve
Spring, Tx.
 
Kelly, I have to tell you - I woke up with a big grin on my face this morning; I was thinking 'wow - Kelly is proud of me'!! You've no idea how that's motivated me to try harder (but wiser! :wink:)

Thank you so much!
 
Jo, one thing I didn't see in your routine were stretches. Do you stretch to warm up? And also important....you need to do some stretches before you leave the gym. Your warm-up and cool-down are just as important as the workout itself.
 
I asked the trainers in the gym about it and they said for the level I'm doing, not to worry about it. It's not an issue until you're doing serious workouts. So being a rank beginner I could only take their teaching.
 
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....even though this may not be a "serious" workout for THEM...my dear, it IS ONE for you!!!

Remember, you are bushed by the time you walk out.....legs wobbly.....that indicates to me you ARE getting a big workout!!! It is my thought that stretches would help and it might be worth a try. My trainer wants hubby and doing neck, shoulder, arm and leg stretches daily whether we work out or not. Guess it's a difference of opinion.

I totally agree with Skigirl's suggestions too.....and I loved that she was "taking a page from your book!"
 
I asked the trainers in the gym about it and they said for the level I'm doing, not to worry about it. It's not an issue until you're doing serious workouts. So being a rank beginner I could only take their teaching.

Jo, as a past K-12 Physical Education teacher, Varsity Basketball & Softball Women's coach, I would like to say that Kelly is correct and your PT gave you some not so accurate information. No matter what type of physical exercise you do, you require to begin with stretches. Even after surgery the first exercises we are given are stretching ones..... When I taught school we always started out with warm up exercises at the beginning of each PE class. Jumping Jacks, Alternate Toe touches, arm circles, leaning over at the waist with arms extended like an airplane, and more were all exercises at the beginning of each class..... So, any type of exercise requires a warm up, exercise, and cool down. Even if it is only walking, you start slowly, increase your pace, and then slow down before you finish. JMO
 
Jo, It is interesting to me how our words have such power---the power to do good and the power to hurt others. I am glad to be helpful to you because your many posts to me have been so helpful too!!

I think that riding a bike at the beginning of your exercise session is a warm up for your legs (and lungs). I do some gentle stretches of my left knee because I want to continue to stretch it out---it feels good to do so. Many of your exercises are warm up types of exercises too--and doing them at a slow and steady pace makes it even easier on your body. when I have to get down for an exercise--I spend a few extra minutes stretching out my legs and back---might as well since getting down is the hard part!!! I like to keep my gym life simple---it there is too much, I will decide to skip it!!! So, your bike riding is a good warm up and some gentle stretches during the workout will also help. Kelly
 
All good points - all taken on board. Thanks, girls!
 
I had a bi-compartmental knee replacement 14 months ago. I got good results but a few months ago it started getting tight again. Today I had an ultra sound for something else (possible DVT) and he told me I still have the Baker's cyst behind that knee? How can this be?
 
Kelly, you are hard core. Sixty-nine and chomping at the bit to be even more active. So how ironic that you have this other problem and not great choices for addressing it. Anyone who makes you feel like a wuss is a loser BTW!!

I keep apprised of a lot of medical stuff and often like to see what research there is. I looked up Baker's cyst and found a whole bunch of stuff, this one being one example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11799006. You can register with this site for free and search on whatever you're wondering about. It's fun (and also I find myself a little neurotic about it at times). And a youtube video of course on the subject:

What little I looked at (mayoclinic.com and ncbi), it looks as if arthroscopic treatment is a possibility but has < 50% success rate. Generally they recur. But I'm with you, I wouldn't be in a hurry to have surgery again. Second opinion time? Yeah, our orthos do give us reasons to not trust them 100%!
 
I have a baker's cyst in my right knee that is driving me crazy. It gets really big so that I cannot get full extension in my right leg---it has ruptured twice--which is a relief since it no longer blocks my knee extension. Has anyone had a baker's cyst before tkr? Does it resolve completely after surgery?

My doc says that if I replace the knee the cyst will go away--but I have trouble believeing that since it is a tear in the synovium. Has anyone had a cyst before surgery? Does it go away after surgery?
I had (still have?) a baker's cyst in my left knee---but it has not bothered me at all since my BTKR nearly six years ago. Baker's cysts are usually caused by inflammation and irritation---and once the knee is replaced and moves easily---there is none of that. I am hoping that your baker's cyst did what mine apparently has done---gone on a permanent vacation.
 
I had bilateral Baker's cysts in June 2010 after doing a LOT of walking around San Diego. They resorbed on their own. About three weeks later I tore my R lateral meniscus spontaneously. Connection? Probably not (as my FP said when I asked why it tore with no provocation, "at our age, s**t happens"). All I can say is the cysts never recurred--before or after either TKR, knock titanium. Now that both my legs are the same length and the feet point the same way, I'm noticing exponentially less discomfort around my knees (and none around my hips) from walking. I do get sore L foot & lower back, though. (Fallen arch/hypermobile forefoot, worn spinal facet joint, and embarrassingly weak core muscles--not going under the knife for any of that unless I have no alternative).
 
I was so surprised to see this thread revievied since I started it before my second surgery in 2010.

But, yes, the tkr did end the problem with the baker's cyst---in fact I had forgotten all about it until I reread this ancient post!!!
 
Kelly, you are hard core. Sixty-nine and chomping at the bit to be even more active.
I believe that many of us "Boomers" are very unwilling o give up the active and enjoyable lifestyle.

My motto is, "You do not stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing."
 
@daughterstalker
Yes a person can have a Baker's Cyst after a knee replacement...that's when mine presented itself, it was about 3 months after I had a lpkr. Its still a bother at times but getting better even though its been more than a year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom