Guest viewing is limited

THR Bad hips!!

Yikes, I just looked around my house!! 18 steps to bedroom and all three toilets are the low round ones from the 60's!! I was thinking of changing them one by one!!

The upstairs tub is a jacuzzi which is so thick I can barely get into it now. The downstairs one is a tub with sliding shower door. The one in the finished basement is a shower stall--but that is the one that I did not want to replace the toilet!! I am laughing, fate has a way of making us crazy.

Only 11 steps down to the basement where there is a bedroom, bath and tv with an elliptical machine which is my current 30 min a day exercise. I found that I could not stand tv after my knee surgeries--my life was so intense that i was not interested in anyone else's problems!!

I did check out the doctor that I liked--Dr. Christine Pui, she went to Harvard, then Columbia med school and did her residency at the Hospital for Special Surgeries in NYC. My son is married to a Chinese woman and Dr. Pui looks so much like one of my granddaughters that it is uncanny.

Jamie told me about One Step---have any of you tried it? I am going to sign up!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Shower stall is what I used, showered from the first day home with no problems. Toilets can be a problem, my best solution was a bedside commode which is a complete toilet in a frame which can be set up over the existing commode and is adjustable. It was stable and had enough room to do business with, those donuts did not work.
 
My tub and shower combo was like you described yours and there’s a nice shower chair that straddles your tub and let’s you slide over into the shower. First time my husband removed the shower doors, second time I was able to manage without removing them.
Our first floor had no powder room so I opted to make the upstairs my recovery room. I could do the stairs but the surgeon didn’t want me going up and down several times daily for that first week or. I.
It all worked out well. You will get it figured out for yourself. :friends:
oh! And the toilet riser thingy works great over a lower toilet.
 
Last edited:
i really hate those toilet riser things, they do not work very well--the donut ones. We had the big frame over our toilet when Bob was sick. But I don't want to use one of them in the main bathroom of the house. I have decided to change the toilet on the main floor and maybe use one of the frame things upstairs where no one else goes up. Only our bedroom and my studio up there.

Do you actually elevate your legs after hip surgery? I was not sure that would be productive.Do people use those lounge doctor pillow thingys for their hips? My lower legs done't swell with the hip problems, but I do limp sometimes---I try not to but it is a struggle sometimes. I make my heel hit then roll over to the ball of the foot. I can concentrate on that and I forget about the aching. I can still walk the dogs about 1.5 miles--that makes me wonder if I can wait for the hips. My hips have only hurt for maybe six months. When I see the second opinion doc I will ask him if I can wait until after ski season. I love winter and the cold months, I just hate to think I will not be able to ski and enjoy the cold weather. I hate the heat of summer and would rather be stuck inside during the hot months. I did ask the first doc about injections but she said that they would be worthless in my case and she did not recommend them.

Sorry but 23 years of being a ski instructor cannot be undone. We are all macho there! We never want to be seen as weak!! So I am keeping the surgery on the QT here--I don't want anyone to know. I have been using the elliptical machine for 45 min a day and hope that maybe I can delay the surgery until the spring. We are going on a cruise in January and I don't want to be gimping around!!

I know it sounds a little crazy, but I detest people I barely know asking me how I am doing or wanting to know about my hips or knees. I never talk about them and quash most questions. I always wear long pants now, I threw away all shorts after I had my knee surgery. I even wear long swimming pants. Also since I moved to Minneapolis three years ago, I really have very few friends so there is no one here who would be interested anyway.
 
Only you can determine when you get those hips fixed...but I would not push too much physical activity if you want to hold off until next year. My cartilage was completely gone so now I was dealing with bone on bone and though I kept going-my work requires lots of physical activity... I was in constant pain.
Good thing about hip replacement is...
It will stop the pain.
Arthritis of the hip joint can cause pain not only in the hip, but in the knee, groin, lower back and buttocks. Often patients who have arthritis of the hip suffer deep groin pain. The nerves that feed the knee also run past the hip and can be affected by inflammation in that area. Conservative treatments, such as medication, only treat symptoms and don’t correct the problem (which is the damaged joint). Inevitably, the problem will only get worse.

It definitely improved my quality of life. It’s one thing to make small adjustments to your lifestyle to accommodate an arthritic hip (such as taking shorter walks or using a cane), but when pain, stiffness and inflammation begin affecting your ability to do daily activities and Sleep, it’s time.

Not every condition that causes chronic pain can be cured with surgery, but this is one that can be.

Today’s prosthetics are sturdy and long-lasting, meaning that younger people (even very active ones) can benefit from the surgery.
If you wait too long, the surgery can be less effective. As your joint continues to deteriorate and your mobility becomes less and less, your health can worsen as well (think weight gain, poor cardiovascular health, etc.)

Patients who go into surgery healthier tend to have better outcomes. Also, severely deteriorated joints can make the surgery more difficult to perform, require additional physical therapy afterwards, and even limit the maximum flexibility that the new joint can achieve.

If it continues to worsen, the only thing you can do is baby it until you decide to get it done.
I am proud of my new hips-and most folks have no idea I've had bilateral hip replacement and when they find out....I don't think they think l'm weak.
They are impressed that I am more active and stronger than many my age.
 
Yup---I am at least smart enough to know that worrying about what other people think is a form of insanity!! But, I spent so long in a macho culture, it is hard to transition. Even though half the ski school has fake knees or hips. One guy has had three hips over his lifetime.

I don't think that I am unusual in that I keep surgery and illness to myself, I am very independent and don't like people fussing over me. With my knees, I made all my own meals and took care of my husband who had severe heart disease. I don't want people feeling like they have to help me.

Do some of you have PT's come to the house? I have never been impressed with PT who do not work in a gym. It seems to me that there is no need for home pt if the main pt is walking. I read that walking for five minutes every hour is best for the joint for the first week or two.? Since I don't have or want help I am not so sure about doing both hips at once, although it would be great to have it behind me in one fell swoop. I don't want to stay in the hospital though--can you go home the same day with two hips?

When i was in the hospital with covid, I had no magazines or books and it was so boring. I had to read a book on my phone which was a real pain. Luckily I had my phone in my pocket!! Otherwise, there was nothing to do and no visitors allowed. I am not sure that those covid restrictions are still in place, but I would not be surprised to see them there. Coming home makes more sense to me with a pile of books beside my bed, and my grandchildren five minutes away. The doctor told me that I could walk up the stairs in my house on the day of surgery, so I am just going to keep my bed on the second floor. That is also where my studio is---I did a lot of painting when I was rehabbing my knees.

I am really confused about one thing though---so much emphasis is placed on chairs after hip surgery. Do you really have to worry about that? My doc said no restrictions. I have an office chair in my studio that goes up and down but otherwise I just sit on the couch most of the time. I don't have a recliner and would not want to have one,

Also, I hike with hiking poles, will those work with new hips while walking? I feel really comfortable striding with them.
 
Hi @skigirl i am glad I had both mine done the same time one recovery but baring in mind it is 2 major operations and I had mine done late Thursday afternoon and was back home Sunday morning which was very early post op.
I also tried using walking sticks 2 weeks post op but soon regretted it because when the fatigue sets in and you feel like Bambi on ice and that’s when you need the support of the crutches so that you can lock your forearms out and in full control, hope this helps. Best of luck.
 
My doc said no restrictions.
Most hips these days have no restrictions, any regular height chair will be fine.

I read that walking for five minutes every hour is best for the joint for the first week or two.?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
@Wyn wombat Thanks for your input. I know that you have been there. I just hate the hospital. when I had a knee the nurse let me sleep through the night and I woke up in agony, it took hours to get the pain back under control and they treated me like I was the biggest complainer of the century. I went home as soon as the pain control was there and never had another problem, in my own house!!

I am torn, I have one doc who will only do one posterior and I can go right home, but in the hospital near me and the hotshot who wants to do two at once in a hospital that I hate. I suppose that I need to open door number three!!!

How far out are you? I want to ski in January (I am a ski instructor)
 
Never had any PT, not any tricks to learning how to walk again. My OS warned me about any outside PT as they will hurt you. I could go up stairs when I got home or I'd have to sleep in the car. I only have 4 to get into the house and it's a slow and steady deal. Now a lot of steps early on can be more than you might need. Recently someone posted that they messed up going down and landed hard, not recommended. Strength standing up is tough and a chair with arms is the trick, same with toilet. Low seats like a couch can be hard to get out of. My OS didn't recommend a cane, he recommended hiking poles they work well.
No restrictions is good but you do have to understand what has been done to you in order to install the replacement parts. It's not like a knee in the way it's made. It's a free floating ball and the only thing keeping it in place is the capsule and the strength of the muscles and ligaments. In order to dislocate us all of that is opened up and stretched to the limit. Like a rubber band they stay a bit overstretched until they heal. That's the actual reasons for restrictions is to not strain all of that while it's healing. As long as you don't do anything to force the joint there's no problem. That's the reason when people have restrictions posterior restrictions differ from anterior, they turn the femur the opposite direction to work on it.
 
I want to ski in January (I am a ski instructor)
Sorry to be blunt - but if you have THR anytime soon you will not be skiing in January. I guess the question is - will the pain level prevent you from skiing anyway?

Then there is the risk of a hip collapse if you wait too long.

Lots to consider!
 
Hi @skigirl, I’m like you- I don’t like the hospital. I’ve had both of my hips done this year, one in Jan. and the 2nd in June. Both at United Hospital in St. Paul. I think my surgeon is great. I had the anterior approach and was home the same day with both. The 2nd one went even better than the first. I was much better prepared for it too. I got one of the elevation pillows and that really helped. I don’t like opioids either so I made do with Tylenol and Advil and lots of ice. It’s true that it’s easier to lounge around in the winter, but Ive appreciated having fewer clothes to wrestle with in the summer. I needed help with socks and shoes for a few weeks in the winter. If you get both done at once you will definitely need more help. I just used a cane both times and ditched it at about a week and a half the first time and about 3 days the 2nd. I’m feeling really good at nearly 7 weeks post op. I’m so happy with my new hips, I definitely waited too long to go ahead with it.
 
@ Ezzie, who was your surgeon? I live in St. Louis Park!! I got my vaccinations at United
 
@ jaycey Both docs that I have seen have told me that it will be possible to ski this year, one even said December!!
 
Hi, I am 11 weeks post op, walking 3 - 4 miles a day ok, but having to concentrate going around tight corners having to force the turn like a beginner forcing a snowplough turn.
I personally can’t see you skiing for next season there are so much soft tissues that will take time to heal and bed in.
 
You sure he didn't say he was going skiing in December! I suppose it's possible, you'll have to let us know how it works out.
 
I am still laughing!!! She did say that she would like to ski, but too busy!! Remember i live in Minnesota!!! skiing here is on the baby hill. My entire ski area is all green. I will go on a ski trip in Feb with my grandkids, but only for 6 days!

Also, remember that i have skied for 30 years and have been an instructor for 24 of those years, skiing is second nature to me---easier than climbing stairs. Also, I am willing to do the gym stuff so that I can ski---normal for me too.

I am not discounting your experience with your hips and I might have to eat my words, but several ski instructors that I have worked with skied about 3 months after surgery---no tackling moguls, but skiing on the smooth runs. I will be 5-6 months out if I do the surgery right away, I am leaning to having anterior surgery just because i think I will need that edge to get there faster.

I am so disgusted with my body!!!! Yet I think of two things---a dog down the street lost a leg. He did not spend any time with self pity, just began the process of walking on three legs, hi, do you have a treat Happy!!! And I remember lots of the wounded warriors I worked with at the ski hill. They were brave and willing to do what they had to do to get out there and make some runs. I admire that a lot.

So, I am not going to spend any more time worrying about why my body has to have osteo arthritis. I am going to start moving and will do what I can to have a good outcome. i like the woman surgeon I saw but she would only do one hip at a time and she did posterior surgery. The doc I am seeing on the 17th comes highly recommended and he does do anterior hips.
 
I just finished reading the doctors notes from my appt with the orthopedic. She said that she saw osteopenia of the proximal tibia. Osteopenia is a weakening of the bone but short of osteoporosis.

do any of you know if that would exclude anterior surgery? I researched it and only found articles talking about the confusion about what exactly is osteopenia. It looks like it leads to a cemented prostheses but I cannot find anything else. I will ask the next Orthro on the 17th but it made me wonder.
 
I don't doubt you'll be able to ski, what it comes down to is it worth it. I can understand the being mad at your body. I have had bad hips from when I was a kid. I had pins inserted when I was a teen for SFCE. I've had shocking pain in my hips since back then. I was more like your 3 legged dog, there was nothing I couldn't do, just took a little pain to get there. I had my first OS visit when I was 30 for THR, I put it off for a while. After having the first I went all in for recovery and had some unrealistic expectations, slowed my roll and it all worked out. Second time I went slower and wiser and it worked out better with less setbacks. I can do anything I want to do and the further past recovery the less I think before doing things. In the early months no matter the approach the risk of dislocation is a concern. As time goes on the dislocation risk diminishes, there's a chart that maybe someone will link. I guess it all comes down to how much of a risk you're willing to take in early months of recovery. I've known of people dislocating and it's not something I wanted to experience first hand.
 
Of course you are right. I went overboard with my first knee and learned the same lesson you did. You have to take it easy for the first three months. You just have to let things heal. But at five months, I am pretty sure I will be skiing. I have had several friends who were ski instructors and they were on the hill between four and five months.

I would not learn to ski that soon after a thr. But, skiing is second nature to us, it is ingrained in our muscle memory and we start out in a little bit better shape too---most of the time.
 
Back
Top Bottom