Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bad day

Try more icing and elevating to get that swelling down some. It works!
 
Hi there, I am doing much better now, managed to go for a walk along Southport pier, not the full length, just a short walk to seated area and rested. Also managed some stairs with no pain or difficulty, yippee.

It makes you feel better when you are able to do the simple things.

I am still icing and raising the leg which is helping. I am just struggling to keep myself hydrated following my illness and I feel so cold especially hands and feet. So woolly socks are out and on the feet, probably have to find some gloves now. It’s not even winter yet, anyway I am at the doctors next week so we’ll see what they say.

Hope you’re all continuing to make progress, good health.

Take care, kind regards Maria :loveshwr::dancy::loveshwr:
 
I found that icing made me cold all over so I kept wrapped up in a blanket. Some has suggested a heated throw. I will probably get one for my next replacement.
 
Thank you, I’ll bear that in mind if this continues.

I’ll see what the doctor says next week first.

Take care, kind regards Maria :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
I wont say icing made me cold, but it's been a horribly hot summer here and I've wanted a throw over me in temperatures that normally leave me wishing I could take another layer off.
 
Hi there, well I went for my first drive today, post op. Felt a bit strange at first but soon got into it.

Felt quite tired when I got back, but blinking heck, my knee has swollen again, so back to intense icing and it did look pretty good before driving. Hey ho, part of the journey I guess. Still thinking positive, it’s a step forward and I’m sure I will make the other positive steps soon.

Take care all, kind regards Maria :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hi all, I think my knee is waking up. I can feel the nerves coming back to life, I presume this normal. Icing is helping as are paracetamol. But is there anything else I can do?

Thank you

Kind regards Maria :chinstroke::chinstroke:
 
Keep doing what you’re doing, be sure to treat your knee gently, and be patient. You’re doing great!
 
Thank you, it doesn’t always feel like it.

The pains a lot easier to manage and I’ve managed to get my knee going again following my spell in hospital.

Just at the minute it seems it’s one thing after another, but hey ho, we have to keep going.

Thanks for the advice, take care

kind regards Maria :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hi there, went to Physio yesterday and my ROM has improved going from 87 last time to 105.

She said the target was 100 and would be happy for me to remain at 105. Is this correct?

I wonder what your opinion is of this, should the target be higher. I know I am doing well, but would like to have the target confirmed.

Kind regards Maria xx :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
I had my left knee done 6 years ago. That one is only at 105. I can do anything I want to.my new one is 113.so iam happy with that.but iam on couch today knee is really swollen. It’s up and down. Gets me disappointed
 
It’s possible your ROM will improve. Mine continued to improve after the one year mark and is still improving at 2.5 years post op. My number isn’t fabulous but I can bend it more now than I could a year ago. My whole leg relaxed more in my second year post op.

At not quite 2 months intro this 12 month recovery it’s too early to say this is all you’ll get.
 
Congrats on hitting 105! You may continue to improve.
 
ROM, both flexion and extension, can continue to increase for at least a year after surgery, sometimes even longer.
There are no fixed targets, although most surgeons like to see a flexion of 90 degrees by 6 weeks post-op.

These are the degrees of flexion that are required to perform various activities:
  • 65° to walk
  • 70° pick an object off the ground
  • 85° to climb up stairs
  • 95° to stand from a sitting position
  • 105° to tie shoelaces
  • 115° (or greater) to squat or sit cross-legged
  • 125°+ covers most activities. However, squatting or sitting on your heel may always prove challenging.
 
Thank you for the responses, it helps a lot.

I shall have to wait and see how I go on.

Still icing and have an added exercise from my physio adviser.

Take care & good luck to all

Kind regards Maria xx :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
I had my left knee done 6 years ago. That one is only at 105. I can do anything I want to.my new one is 113.so iam happy with that.but iam on couch today knee is really swollen. It’s up and down. Gets me disappointed

Hi Judgar, so sorry that your knee is swollen, I guess it’s one day at a time & deal with accordingly (Icing I guess).

Take care and I hope you have more good days than bad.

Kind regards Maria xx:console2:
 
Go easy on the exercises if your knee is very swollen. Gentle bends a short walks are all you really need.

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
I had my left knee done 6 years ago. That one is only at 105. I can do anything I want to.my new one is 113.so I am happy with that.but I am on the couch today. My knee is really swollen. It’s up and down. Gets me disappointed

This recovery isn't a straight linear progression. It's like a roller-coastal ride, with lots of ups and downs, two steps forward and one step back, like this:

[Bonesmart.org] Bad day


Complete recovery from a TKR is going to take a long time - as long as a full year for all your tissues to be completely healed. If you think of it as a race, it's a marathon, not a sprint, so you'll need lots of patience.

You're doing well and you have good function already. As you realise, function is more important than the actual numbers.
 
Love the diagram and so true, ha ha. Even my husband laughed at this.

Take care all, I’m back to icing again, even in bed. The nerve endings are driving me nuts :banghead:

Kind regards Maria :cheers:
 
Hi All,

I’m here again, requesting help again:hairpulling:

I am now finding that I am getting a burning sensation in my shin, it is very uncomfortable. I am icing and it eases eventually.

Is this normal and what if anything can I do. Any advice would be very much appreciated :boohoo::boohoo:

Kind regards Maria xx
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom