Guest viewing is limited

TKR Back with a question

I get burning when I overdo and it's on the surface but it goes deeper too. So I figure my knee is overheating from too much of whatever! At night it gets hot under the covers or under my night clothes so I raise up my pajama leg and don't put a cover over it - I just leave it out so it can stay cool. I think also that it's the knee heating up because it's doing internal healing work.
 
Just got back from fabulous msssage. Calves were very tight,especially my TKR leg. I'm probably goin to crash soon.

@Josephine I see that i didn't post correctly about your questions.of Of course, I want to answer them. Thank you.
 
I've been reading posts and realize I'm in kind of a holding pattern. Icing, heel slides ADLs, resting. I go out, but also really watch the time.

My lower back has started to ache so I take ibuprofen. My chiropractor tells me it's because my walk has changed. So... what is it going to be like when I go work? I've been reading about phased return. I hope I can do that.

I'm very happy to see people finding this site. Now that I'm not crying or in constant pain and fear, I can appreciate all the wonderful advice from the forum advisors. I'm reading lots of the articles. What a wealth of experience is here. I remember when I felt so hopeless. I try not to think about months of recovery.

I'm not thrilled with the whole adventure, but I'm glad I am not where I was when I joined. Always,thank you to advisors and posters.
 
You are certainly welcome! We just want to help as much as we can. It's so rewarding to see people like you improve and get on in your lives!
 
Well, here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] Back with a question


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. 4 Mostly, what I consider, too much stiffness at almost 9 weeks. Occasional pain or burning when I do too much. It's mainly the discomfort of the stiffness. I find it very annoying. I have aching legs when I am out too long. I'm doing better at watching that after a few times of paying the price the next day.

2. I was prescribed Hydrocodone acetaminophen 7.5-325 1-2 every 6 hours. I never took 2; I probably averaged 1 every 6 -7 hours. A few times I did not stay ahead of the pain. I finally kept to the schedule of 1 every 6 hours. I'm a slow learner. 0ne week ago I realized I was forgetting them except at night, they were making me nauseous and also not taking care of pain. Now I take ibuprofen. I have more trouble with back pain from lying down so much and also a different gait. That's why I go to the chiropractor. I hope when I'm somewhat back to normal, my new knee will help my lower back.

3. Most of the time slight. Sometimes when I overdo, it gets red, hot and a little more swollen. I check it frequently because it gets red so quickly when I get up in the morning.

4. I have not asked since late November when I had a heart to heart with the PTs and said no more pain or pushing. That was when I changed my thread to "Epiphany". At that time I was pushed to 114. I think he said passive was 110. I can't find my last numbers. Extension is -1 or "almost 0". I will be brave and measure ROM this week. I let them measure last week and said "just tell me I am over 100". I was.

5. I ice a lot. Maybe 15 times a day when I am in all day. I use ice packs so I am up and down a lot. I am trying to pay attention to resting for the amount of time I am out so I will use my Iceman. If I am home doing ADLs I just use the ice packs off and on. I think this kind of icing has really helped with the swelling; intermittent activity and icing.

6. I elevate when I can see some swelling. I use pillows. I may have tightness confused with swelling. Sometimes my leg does not look swollen, but it is still too tight according to me.

7. My activity level varies. I have 2 cats so that means litter box and feeding for the divas. I am up and down frequently in my apartment whether getting something to eat or another bottle of water or just piddling. I probably drink at least 5 waters a day. I have to take trash down the hall, maybe 150 feet to and from elevator area. I try to go out in the a.m. to an hour meeting 2- 3 times a week, followed by short errands which sometimes proves to be too much. I also go out 2 times a week at night to 60-90 minute meetings. Sitting is uncomfortable, but I do it and try to move my leg to different positions. I am trying to increase slowly because I have to go back to work 1/4. I am now trying to take into account the time I am up before actually leaving my home.

8. My main exercise is probably ADLs; walking to car; from car to meetings, PT, chiropractor and short shopping trips. I actually think I walk the most in my apartment because I am up and down so much. I don't have a lot of housekeeping. I moved to a 1 bedroom in a high rise because I had had it with the responsibility of a house. I do bed slides 5 x 5 reps, hold for 10 seconds about 3 times per day; do them in a chair and then lean forward for stretch, maybe 1 or 2 x a day. If I remember, I do 5 rolls with the big ball on the bed; same numbers but maybe only once a day, if that. Sometimes, none if I have done a lot of other things.

9. 1-2 x a week PT. They are changing what I do as far as exercises. I start with 8 minutes on the bike and was thrilled when I could do full revolutions about ten days ago. I have done the ball, some squats holding the pulley,
leg presses, slides lying down or in chair (5 for 10 seconds). The other exercises are usually 3 x 20. They kind of mix it up, but I would say I never do more than 4 different exercises at each session. We always finish with slides lying down, heat and stimulation. I tell them am getting tired. My quads are "strong", but left one is very tight.

This is hard for me to answer because I think they are going easy on me since I had my "epiphany" talk with the PT manager. I don't know what he told the therapists, if anything. I was the one who said no more push or pain. The other day I told my youngest PT that he had hurt me in the past. He looked surprised and a little hurt. That made me think they really don't know unless we speak up. I will pay more attention this week and try to give some exact numbers. From what I have read of other posts here, I do not think my PTs are overworking me now. They may feel they are not doing their job. At least I don't dread it anymore.

@Josephine, I apologize. I think I am giving too much detail in some questions and not being specific enough in others. I have a tendency to obsess too much. I don't like to complain because I have read of some the disappointments here. Bonesmart has helped relax, but I am not free of worries. When someone asks how I am doing, I tell them recovery is long and tedious at this point. I am not interested in being one of marvels who is an Olympic athlete at 8 weeks. I like the slow and steady approach and am hoping for the best.

I have told 4 people about Bonesmart in the last week and said, "Don't tell your doctor". I thank all the advisors and every post helps me.
 
Wow.. @jakeleg you are really doing fantastic! I don't think you have anything to be worried about!!!
 
Oh I will! For instance - in answers 8 and 9 (did I have a 9??) you've done exactly what I asked you not to, which was "please make a list and not an essay!"

So can you go through those two answers and make them into a list please?
 
@funkymuse. Thank you.I don't feel like I'm doing fantastic.I I try to keep the nagging feelings of not doing enough away. They keep coming back. The very patient advisors keep telling us over and over. The enemy is my mind. You are doing a lot of good posting and encouraging of others.
 
8. ADLs every day
PT 1-2 x a week
3-5 one hour meetings a week - morning or evening
quick errands 3x a week
lots of walking in my apartment getting up and down

9 . Warm up on bike 8 minutes full revolutions
squats with pulley 20x 3
leg press 20 x 3
chair slides with stretch 5 hold 10 count
roll big ball lying down 20 x 1
heel slide lying down 5 x 1 hold for 10 count
Heated towel and stimulation
They change the first two exercises from session to session
 
@funkymuse - just finished redoing my answers for Josephine. Here's the truth. I am sick of this, doing it, reading about it, posting it, thinking about it - all of it. And outs only 8½ weeks.

I go here everyday and read. It helps me, but It is tiresome and I still compare myself to others. So that's how it is today.

Will wait to hear from @Josephine. I even forgot to put her name in my re -done answers.

I need a nap. I am not sleeping well. I miss the days when I slept all the time, but I don't miss the pain. Guess I'm hard to satisfy these days, huh? Got to start checking for typos before I post.
 
Yes I know @jakeleg .. I think many get to this point. I've heard some say they just forget about their knee and get on with life.. but that's hard for me to do since it's affected my entire being. My mid-back, shoulder, low back and neck, arm and everything is completely out of whack from the way I have to walk, sit, sleep, etc.. and I don't have insurance for a massage or chiropractic.

I used to walk everyday and get nice circulation and now I'm stuck not doing any of that. My body craves movement. I'm happy for those that made quicker recovery as they could get on with moving more sooner. I'm holding on to the way @Celle renamed my thread - slow and steady.

Today I'm going very easy and my knee feels better. But it's hard to get up and do anything because of the immediate swelling, pressure and stiffness that ensues. I'm going to try a outside walk later on today. I'm still not driving and my bend is still very limited. So I'm hanging on to the slow recovery stories I've read on this and a few other threads on the wed.

Yes the USA's aggressive therapy model is rampant on the web but there are several stories that manage to make it through about slow and steady and the success in that. I DO NOT WANT AN MUA and I'm beginning to practice how I'm going to confront my OS on that.

By the way, you can always go back and 'edit' your post to make corrections for spelling, etc.
 
@funkymuse Thanks. I'll edit in the future - too many to correct now. I didn't know I could edit after posting. More instructions to read!

I do know about back and neck pain. I got hit by a UPS truck in San Francisco when I was about 25 or so. My chiropractors give me a diagnosis: "Your neck is really bad". I have been a chiropractic addict since 1980. I'm on Medicare and pay a ridiculous amount for a Medicare supplement.

My husband had several surgeries throughout his life and was in a nursing home for shoulder rehab before he died. Rehab was a joke. He would not have lived through another surgery. I never had to pay a dime out of pocket for any of his medical expenses with this supplement so it has been worth it.

I have had a lot of time to think and reflect on the last 8 weeks. I have had a fabulous life. I adored my husband who was what we used to call "a stud" (athlete and a wild boy). I am a very lucky, grateful girl. This is just a big bump in the long road. How's that for trying to be cheery? As my friend said,

"It will all be ok in the end and if it's not ok now, it's not the end."
 
@kneeper do you have time for a couple of questions? I answered my 9 questions for Josephine. I bet she's in slumber now. I have 2 things I didn't mention cuz I didn't know where to put them. Thanks Jakeleg
 
I like your friend’s saying! You’ll get the hang of editing posts in no time. I end up editing mine quite often.

It’s been a few months now for me since I turned to Mr. Shoes and said, “I’m so :censored: tired of talking about knees, and planning things around knees, and wondering what’s going on with knees. It’s time to stop.”

It’s kind of natural to obsess a bit about something like this surgery and recovery. But eventually you just get tired of it all.
 
@SusieShoes Good morning. I've been reading posts and always go to the ones where I hope there is progress. I know we all have our times of discouragement. I am happy when things get better for others. This is such a long road.

My knee is so tight in the morning. Will it ever be normal? I have not figured out if I should heat or ice. I am tired of reading about people's pain and struggles with PT. Do PTs not understand the reasons for swelling? I am so negative this morning, I wonder who is teaching this no pain no gain stuff?

I'm going to ask absolute my ROM at PT tomorrow. I'm curious and scared. How do I get rid of the tightness besides icing, resting, not pushing? Just ADLs? I can feel like I'm a failure when I read some of the posts. I have been up and down this morning. I just did a couple of slides on the bed. All of a sudden I have pain in the center of my knee and a little above and below the kneecap. Oh , my , where did that come from? I want to cry and I don't know why. I wake at 3 almost every morning. If I'm lucky I go back to sleep until 6- 6:30. I'm tired of the rollercoaster even if it's not as bad as it was. I apologize for whining. I try to be positive, but I'm as sick of it as you are. Thanks, always.
 
Hey, if you can't whine here, where can you whine? We've all been there, so we know. Here's to a better day tomorrow :cheers:
 
Unfortunately, there is no magic formula for anyone stiffness. It takes time, ice and elevation. I know it's a pain to do it, but you can't force it to go away. But, it will go away! Try and ignore it. Easier said than done, I know, but we have all been there with you!
 
@rubyyarn I guess you're right
@sistersinhim thank you even though I want it to be otherwise. Any ideas
about the new pain in my knee? I'm going to try the witch hazel for a small stubborn bruise. Maybe that will cheer me up a little. to
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom