TKR Back home in PA

Status
Not open for further replies.
jmark87,
I think just getting in the pool and floating feels so good. That weightless feeling of the whole leg, knee-I just use a inner tube type thing and float. BTW what hospital did you have your surgery done? I'm from PA too.
Take care and if you like to read, go to the library..really helps pass the time while you're icing and elevating.
 
John, another person from PA. I hope you take the advice you are receiving. Like you, I didn't know how to interpret the advice I was getting in order to figure out if I was doing too much or too little. I wanted a script for the day so I could ice and elevate enough, rest enough, and exercise/stretch/walk just the right amount. Unfortunately, I went back to work way too soon, (five weeks) and I had aggressive PT which I eventually realized I needed to tone down. I just had to say what I wanted, and with some help from this site, I did just that. I am now five months post surgery and I think that because of how much I did, I am behind the typical recovery arc. Haven't ever been able to go up and down stairs without pain. Have to think about walking each step. I think I am getting better, very slowly. I wrote about walking on sand and getting into the ocean, but I still have a very long way to go. I'm trying to slow down and do now what I should have been doing from the start. Hope it's not too late.

Take the advice you are receiving, listen to your knee, ice and elevate four times a day for an hour each time. I never realized how often and how long I needed to do this. Frustrating. Maybe in the long run you'll heal far more quickly. Good luck
 
I have a symptom that no one else on this forum seems to have. My ankles and feet get so stiff and uncomfortable that I can hardly stand it. I am thinking that the problem comes from sitting. It feels like the circulation to my legs is restricted from sitting. Has anyone else here felt this? If so do you have a solution for it?
 
jmark87 said:
I have a symptom that no one else on this forum seems to have. My ankles and feet get so stiff and uncomfortable that I can hardly stand it. I am thinking that the problem comes from sitting. It feels like the circulation to my legs is restricted from sitting. Has anyone else here felt this? If so do you have a solution for it?

Water runs down hill, so when you sit your feet and ankles can get swollen, which is what makes them stiff. The solution is to not sit with your feet on the floor unless it's absolutely necessary. You need to elevate them way up to get all that fluid going back up to the heart. Toes above the nose. Do your ankle pumps which help those calf muscles push the fluid back up and helps with circulation. Very light strokes going in one direction from the toes to above the knees will also help move the fluid. Icing the knees will help limit the amount of swelling that is available for gravity to pull down to the feet. You get the picture.
 
Water runs down hill, so when you sit your feet and ankles can get swollen, which is what makes them stiff. The solution is to not sit with your feet on the floor unless it's absolutely necessary. You need to elevate them way up to get all that fluid going back up to the heart. Toes above the nose. Do your ankle pumps which help those calf muscles push the fluid back up and helps with circulation. Very light strokes going in one direction from the toes to above the knees will also help move the fluid. Icing the knees will help limit the amount of swelling that is available for gravity to pull down to the feet. You get the picture.

Hi Janet,
Thanks for your reply. I have my legs up on the recliner most of the time. The foot rest is almost straight out. There is a rather high rounded edge to the chair and that is what I think blocks off the circulation. I massage my legs often and started using absorbine (horse linament) on them. It seems to help a lot.
 
A recliner with a straight leg is not a good place to sit. Llie on the couch with your legs up on three pillows and you will see an improvement in your swelling.
 
I have a symptom that no one else on this forum seems to have. My ankles and feet get so stiff and uncomfortable that I can hardly stand it. I am thinking that the problem comes from sitting. It feels like the circulation to my legs is restricted from sitting. Has anyone else here felt this? If so do you have a solution for it?
Yes, I have a swollen ankle on that side which makes it feel stiff. My PT does a massage starting with the foot and working up the ankle to the calf. It helps immensely and has been making a difference.
And I ice and elevate my leg afterwards.
 
Two months OS follow up and guess what, MUA on Thursday. I have heard that this is not too pleasant a procedure. I don't think it is needed because of anything that I did or didn't do. I guess some of us just develope scar tissue and adhesions. I have been working at my recovery and just seemed to have hit a wall. I started out like I was going to be the poster senior for full recovery. I tried to do a search for MUA on this fourm but did not find anything. I was looking for others that have had this done to see what the outcome was like. I wonder what the recovery time for the pain is and how much help it did for flexion. If anyone has had experience with MUA, I would appreciate hearing about your outcome.
 
I think the general sense I've heard is that you need to wait for the MUA because otherwise your knee will just get angry. I'm not sure exactly how long they recommend waiting. I do know there is a discussion of MUA in the library. I'll check it out and send you the link. On the other hand, if you trust your doc, go ahead. I've heard from my PT here that the MUA can make a huge difference. I hope some of the moderators chime in so you have as much information as possible.
 
I think the general sense I've heard is that you need to wait for the MUA because otherwise your knee will just get angry. I'm not sure exactly how long they recommend waiting. I do know there is a discussion of MUA in the library. I'll check it out and send you the link. On the other hand, if you trust your doc, go ahead. I've heard from my PT here that the MUA can make a huge difference. I hope some of the moderators chime in so you have as much information as possible.

Thank you so much for your reply, I will check the library.
 
I had some swelling that was hanging around in my knee, so my pt recommended a massage therapist who is skilled in lymphatic massage. I am just overwhelmed with how effective it was. My knee now looks like it did pre surgery. I recommend you check into that too--- I looked under massage in the yellow pages and she was there. She happens to be an OT. I am sure your doc's office can recommend someone too. K
 
I had some swelling that was hanging around in my knee, so my pt recommended a massage therapist who is skilled in lymphatic massage. I am just overwhelmed with how effective it was. My knee now looks like it did pre surgery. I recommend you check into that too--- I looked under massage in the yellow pages and she was there. She happens to be an OT. I am sure your doc's office can recommend someone too. K
 
Best of luck to you, John. Let me know how it goes. I really am interested. There are times when I think, "Is this what I should do?" Who is your doctor? (Or are we not supposed to ask that on this site?)
 
Best wishes for the MUA. Several people on the forum have had one and had good results.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom