Back again, 5 years on..

Having faith in you surgeon is half the battle! I'm glad you have the option, if he feels it's necessary.
 
So Pre-Op yesterday went fine. Got a call from admissions office this morning to tell me my time to come in on Monday, I have to be at the hospital at 7.00am. that's an hour drive from home so that means probably rising (if I sleep at all) at 5am... I reckon by the time surgery comes I will be well ready for a snooze.

I had a conversation and meeting with the physio whom I asked what was their beliefs on Icing and elevation, she said they have wonderful beds that raise the leg and there will be an ice cuff and a supply of ice bags in the ward freezer for my use only and to ask for it every 2 hours !! good on you I thought because last time around they would barely allow a pillow under the leg. She said that if my surgery is in the morning (which I have learned today it is ) they will be around for me in the afternoon once I have feeling back in my legs to get me out of bed and moving. They also advocate bringing "day clothes" like shorts or tracksuit bottoms to wear during the day to prevent... wait for it...... "pyjama paralysis" ... now that's a new one on me - so not one to be accused of "pyjama Paralysis" I will bring in the said day clothes :)

My meeting with the anesthetist was good too. I explained how the spinal failed last time for me, he said this hospital only has consultants and that maybe it was a trainee who tried with my spinal 5 years ago and felt confident that the staff at this hospital would like to have a try at it again because of the obvious positives with it. I also asked that I have enough sedation to have no visual or aural memories of the event... because it's at the theater door that my courage takes a dive.

My nurse yesterday did all the blood and swabs and heart traces etc, filled in all the questions and finally, she came to the patient's state of mind question... she chose for me "relaxed" and I think I agreed with her because right then my knee was "singing" to me and a replacement at that moment was a choice I was making willingly and with a small amount of positivity...........that could all change Sunday night !!!

Anyway I am off to a wedding tomorrow Friday, Saturday will be spent organising stuff for my daughter who has an intellectual disability and lives at home with me and my hubby and sunday will be spent with some friends for an early evening meal, so thankfully I have enough distraction for the next few days - 3 days and counting.
 
Sounds like you ready and things are going smoothly for you!
 
Best wishes. Looking forward to seeing you on the recovery side.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom