BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Back again, 5 years on..

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Mizen, May 24, 2017.

1. Mizen

Mizen

Ireland Ireland
    hello all

Wow, spent ages last night re-reading my old posts, especially my ones on my recovery from my LPKR back in February 2012. I am due for a RPKR (right partial knee replacement) on July 3rd next and whilst the decision was easily made even though my pain became sudden and worse in the last few months I feel a little "vain" if that's the right word to use, in so far as I haven't let myself suffer too long with this knee unlike the previous knee.

I totally know the benefits of having a working knee and a knee without pain and have loved my new left knee from the moment I got it, it has been all over the world, I have had journeys and experiences I could not have had without surgery.

I fully expected when I visited my surgeon last week that maybe I had a cartilage problem with the right knee and was quite surprised to see from the Xrays that I am at the stage of bone on bone I was prior to my left knee surgery 5 years ago... I guess I thought I the pain required (daft I know) to qualify for surgery would have to be for much longer period that what I have been experiencing.

I guess I am trying to talk myself around and into to the decision I made with my surgeon last week and if this was anyone else I would be saying if the pain is keeping or waking you during the night and is impacting on your quality of life you need to get it seen to.

Nice to be back and to see and read some familar names and post.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Jennszoo

Jennszoo

United States United States
    I understand that. My left knee was toast. Patella misaligned, bone on bone, torn menicus. Everything was wrong with it. My right? Only looks bad on the xray. It rarely bothered me while running and it's been a trooper taking over for both knees these past 5 weeks. So I feel kinda bad doing the RTKR next month when I can still manage. But the dr says it needs it and really, now that I've hit my oop Max, it's buy one knee, get one free. So why not?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mizen

Mizen

Ireland Ireland
    Love your reply jennszoo and thanks for it. Just like me.. It's the xray that's really telling the story

• Like Like x 2
  4. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I had my second knee done as soon as my surgeon and I decided it was ready for replacement. Consequently, I went into that surgery with my muscles and tendons in good condition. For me, that meant i had an easier recovery, because I did not have to recover a lot of muscle strength and my tendons didn't have to be adjusted.

I'm not giving any guarantees here, but just reporting my own experience.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

What Celle and Jennszoo said. I made the decision to have a bilateral because, while my left knee was clearly shot and good for nothing, the right was also bone on bone and not long for this world. My OS felt it would be good to do the double surgery now because the right knee would need surgery soon anyway the muscles and surrounding structures were still in decent shape. That made a lot of sense.

Most people I've talked with about TKR say they wished they'd had the surgery sooner, not later. I think it's human nature to say we can take just a little more pain, or suffering, or deprivation, before we say enough is enough. Sometimes we don't even realize we're in a lot of pain until after, and then we say, "Dang! I sure was in a lot of pain!"

• Like Like x 4
  6. Mizen

Mizen

Ireland Ireland
    Thanks SusieShoes and Celle, great to hear your replies, you all make a lot of sense and I needed to hear that especailly today.. Its a weird feeling I have today almost like I dont qualify for it "yet " because I am doing ok with the pain, but what you said about the good condition of the surrounding muscles etc is a really good point.

Today I found myself telling myself that the reason for my pain was due to changing from my wedge boots to summer flats lol....so enough of that - thank you all

7. Mizen

Mizen

Ireland Ireland
    Thought you might like to see the X-ray - would love your thoughts

Attached Files:

8. Arttie

Arttie

That looks like both of mine feel.:doh:

9. Mizen

Mizen

Ireland Ireland
    @Arttie - so would you give it a thumbs up for surgery?

10. SuperSnapper

SuperSnapper

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That almost not qualifying feeling is what I felt before I had my PKR. I had some pain but it was minimal but I couldn't walk as far as I wanted and my knee would lock up now and again. The advantage of having the knee done before it gets really painful is that you are probably fitter and your muscles and tendons are in good shape to support your new knee when it's installed. My other knee is doing the same thing now, a bit of pain and locking now and again. My surgeon said it would last 1-2 years since I had the other done but it's now 2.5 years so time to make an appointment.

Go for it. You new knee will be grand!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mizen

Mizen

Ireland Ireland
    @SuperSnapper Thanks for your post, I have just been hanging washing out and the said knee took a turn... ouch.. it almost went from under me and in a weird way I felt thankful :heehee:

In my head, I am saying exactly what you have written and it utterly makes sense.
    How is your current partial knee, I love and have loved from the beginning mine of 5 years.

I made the decision to follow up with the surgeon a month ago when I could barely walk up the stairs, it all seemed to come on me very suddenly and I truly thought it was because I was changing down out of my winter boots which have a wedge sole to the summer flat shoes, that has eased of late but the tossing and turning and waking during the night looking or pain medication has not let up.

I was quite surprised to see the x-ray above and really thought how could it deteriorate so fast

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
  12. Arttie

Arttie

@Mizen I'd do the surgery. My right meniscus repair in March went swimmingly. Now 12 weeks later it is painful across the upper knee cap when going up stairs. When my LK was scheduled it was at 2.5 mm gap, "end stage OA", and the RK was at 3 mm, "wait a while for TKR."

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
  13. SuperSnapper

SuperSnapper

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My PKR has been wonderful. I can walk for miles on it. My bend is about 145 degrees and though I get the odd niggle with it, it passes off. I run a walking group - we only do about 4-6 miles but I was back walking with the group after 4 months. Recently on the Scilly Islex we walked 23ish miles in 3 days. I followed the way advocated on here as to Physio and it worked well for me.
    I feel very lucky to have had the surgery when I did. I think from reading the recovery is pretty much as for a TKR.
    Best wishes - hope your weather is as good as ours today!

• Like Like x 4
  14. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Have a look at this and see how much your knee is impacting your life:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?

When you have osteoarthritis in your knee, it is so easy to let little restriction on your life style creep up on you. You gradually avoid parking where you will have a long walk to the shop. You opt to sit and watch, instead of joining in an activity. You limit some activities, because you know your knee will hurt . . . .etc, etc.

And than you realise how restricted your life is becoming. You are too young to feel so old.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mizen

Mizen

Ireland Ireland
    Holy moly... It's been a week of contrasts from...my knee is great , no pain to sleepless nights and pain that's making me hold my breath, I can't imagine how it's become so intensely painfully in such a short space of time. Today by 5pm I was like someone recovering from surgery , I had become so disabled I couldn't finish my days tasks knee was full of pain and hot nor cold would relieve it.

16. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Sounds as if it's definitley time for that knee replacement!
    Do check with your surgeon that he/she is prepared to do a total knee replacement (TKR) instead of a PKR, if he/she finds during surgery that other compartments of your knee have any damage.

Recovery from PKRs and TKRs is very similar.

17. sistersinhim

sistersinhim Forum Advisor

I agree, it's that time for that surgery!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mizen

Mizen

Ireland Ireland
    Thanks, all. My surgeon starts the conversation with those words - if there is any damage to the other parts of the knee he will do a total knee replacement.
    I had a conversation with my GP yesterday as I needed to sort out some pain meds for the coming month. I got the feeling that when I showed him my x-ray of my weight bearing knee he didn't think it was too bad.. I explained that funnily enough, my pain is less severe when I am standing or when my leg is absolutely straight (while sitting or lying down) but as soon as I bend the knee for walking, sitting and oh my goodness driving..... big ouch!! .. it gets unbearable. I showed him the following x-ray taken the same day of my knee bending in towards the x-ray machine and he kinda winced....

this is the image below - as you look at it, it is the R side of the image which is the inner side of my knee..
    The pain is crushing and the bones feel so sore to touch on the inside of my knee. He has prescribed an anti-inflammatory till surgery date. and paracetamol with 30mg caffeine and 8mg codeine ( for 8 days only, i suppose to be used only at times when pain is severe ) and regular paracetamol otherwise.

knee 19.0517 2.jpg

19. sistersinhim

sistersinhim Forum Advisor

Check with your OS before taking the anti-inflammatories all the way up to your surgery date. Most of them want you off of all meds at least 2 weeks. Some even 30 days. You don't want anything to postpone your surgery.

Spend a lot of time on this site reading threads and articles so you'll know what to expect. I was blessed to have found it 6 months before mine, and was all ready with loads of information. It helped to ease my mind.

20. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, ouch!
    I'm not an expert on looking at X-Rays, but your knee definitely needs replacing. The medial (inner) compartment looks as if it's bone-on-bone, but you don't have a lot of joint space in the lateral (outer)) compartment either.
    It sounds as if your surgeon is aware of that already.