Guest viewing is limited

THR Avulsion Fracture Greater Trochanter & Seroma

@ Puggles
The stretching from PT definitely is key. I have been sick and unable to stretch for 10 days and am hurting.
I already had a follow up with my ortho physiatrist, which I had to postpone- will see him in a week. The next step for me for the high hamstring tendonosis is either a steroid shot or PRP shot.
I have it on both sides, one side is more painful than the other. I think I will try the steroid first. Like you, I have the greater trochanter pain- was getting better with PT "rolling" it, bit now has returned- also sue to my inactivity.
Best wishes.
 
Hello....I wanted to start a new thread with a very different topic, but I see that isn't
allowed.

Googling isn't quite helping, so I hope some of you see this question, because I'm
sure a lot of you know the answers. My dentist is closed Fridays, or I would have called.

1. Monday, I took Clindamycin before a dental cleaning. (It was only 2 pills that morning, and no more).
2. Next Tues (8 days later), I have to take another course of Clindamycin for a temporary crown.
This next course is for ten days.
3. 2 weeks after that, I'll go for the permanent crown placement, which I assume will require
another course of antibiotics?

QUESTION:
For dental (and other) invasive procedures, does it really help the new hips to take several courses of antibiotics within such a short time frame? Just seems like too much to me, but I'm not a doctor or a pharmacist. :chinstroke:

I'm also concerned that being over-prescribed antibiotics can cause other problems.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Puggles There is a huge debate around taking antibiotics before dental procedures. Who advised you to do this?

The general consensus is that if the procedure in invasive, antibiotics are usually prescribed. Dental cleaning and having the final permanent crown installed are not at all invasive. I would question that.
I'm also concerned that being over-prescribed antibiotics can cause other problems.
This is the major reason there has been a rethink about this issue. Over prescribing antibiotics has created its own set of problems. What does you family doctor say about this?
 
@Puggles. I just had this discussion with my surgeon following my December TKR -- and he said he only recommends taking antibiotics prophylactically for "invasive" procedures (not a cleaning) and then, only during the first six months post-op. (Dentists seem to want us to take them, but I suspect that is more a liability issue.) Unless you are at high risk of infection for other health issues, you probably don't need them. But, as Jaycey suggests, check with your doctor.
 
My OS suggested antibiotics for dental work first two years post op.
Fortunately I've only needed cleanings in past two years so no need for antibiotics moving forward.
Seems to be different from surgeon to surgeon/dentist to dentist.
 
@ Puggles
The stretching from PT definitely is key. I have been sick and unable to stretch for 10 days and am hurting.
I already had a follow up with my ortho physiatrist, which I had to postpone- will see him in a week. The next step for me for the high hamstring tendonosis is either a steroid shot or PRP shot.
I have it on both sides, one side is more painful than the other. I think I will try the steroid first. Like you, I have the greater trochanter pain- was getting better with PT "rolling" it, bit now has returned- also sue to my inactivity.
Best wishes.
Naps. I have had this horrible sit pain for nearly a year. Of course it didn’t start out this bad. Finally after 9 months I was recommended to a Os for a PRP SHOT after two failed cortisone shots. He felt a hip replacement might help as X-ray showed bone on bone, bone spurs and a fragment. After 9 weeks I still have the sit pain but have been told it still could go away. I don’t see OS till mid May so until then I wait and see. My guess is if I’m still in pain we may try the PRP which will be out of pocket. But oh to be pain free!! Thanks for sharing your experience! And you did have a hip replacement correct?? You are the first I’ve read that has this!
 
Thank you so much to those who replied. :) My primary doctor, hip surgeon, and dentist ALL
agreed that antibiotics were needed for the cleaning, the temporay crown, annnnnd, in a few
days, the permanent crown placement. Perhaps they're wrong, but I will follow what they said.

One thing I've been doing is eating PRO-biotic foods (Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar) to
avoid a possible "super" infection like a UTI / yeast problem. With my continuing hip/
ischial tuberosity pain, a UTI/ yeast/ whatever else ---ha ha---infection would NOT be fun to deal with.
 
@Naps and @Nini .....I hope the steroid injection and/or PRP injection helps both of you!
I had to google "PRP"----hmmm...maybe I should look into that, too. My left hip just
will NOT stop hurting, no matter what I've tried.
 
to avoid a possible "super" infection like a UTI
The last time I was on antibiotics, my GP also recommended cranberry capsules to prevent a UTI. She said that recent research has shown that the capsules, which contain concentrated cranberry extract is effective (while cranberry juice is not).
 
I went through the PRP in July for my left hip. Had surgery about 4 1/2 years ago to repair torn labrum, full thickness gluteus medius tear. ,bursectomy and bone spur shaving. PRP helped relieve the pain about 50-60% for about 4 months. Cortisone shots did nothing for pain. Just caused the bones to deteriorate. Not doing the THR if I can help it. Going for my 2nd PRP shot in January. MRI of hip in 2 weeks to see how much damage there is. So dissapointed that muscle repair surgery failed and muscles are showing tears again. Best of luck to you.
 
@Activitygirl Just a note to let you know that this member hasn't been on the forum since last March so you are unlikely to get a reply.
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom