THR avascular necrosis after kidney transplant

Any info. Would be appreciated. I am on medicare so they must accept medicare. I do have a medicare supplement with united. Thanks for caring.
 
I believe most surgeons do accept Medicare patients, but it's always a good idea to either check their website or ask when you call to make an appointment for a consultation. In your case, I think it would be a good idea to call the surgeon's office and ask if any of the doctors have dealt with kidney transplant patients. The ideal would be to find a surgeon or two who had and then make appointments with them to talk. Here are some names to get you started in your research. Let me know how it goes.

Chicago area


Midwest Orthpedics at Rush
Chicago, IL

877-632-6637
https://www.rushortho.com/scott_sporer.cfm
Dr. Scott Sporer
Hip and knee revisions
Speaker at 2018 ICJR workshop on problem hips and knees


Dr. Brett Levine
Complex hip and knee revisions


Dr. Craig Della Valle
Hip and knee revisions


Dr. Richard Berger
Adult reconstruction hip and knee


Dr. Wayne G. Paprosky
Midwest Orthopedics of Rush University Medical Center
Northwestern University Joint Replacement Institute
Winfield, IL
Speaker at 2018 ICJR workshop on problem hips and knees.
Works with patients who have significant bone loss.


Illinois Bone & Joint Institute
847-375-3000
broken link removed: https://www.ibji.com/physicians/jeffrey-goldstein-md
Hip and knee revisions
May not accept Medicare


Crystal Lake Orthopedics
815-398-9491
broken link removed: https://www.rockfordortho.com/physician/frank-bohnenkamp-md/
Hip and knee revisions

broken link removed: https://www.rockfordortho.com/physician/john-bottros-md/
Hip and knee revisions


Midwest Bone & Joint Institute
855-625-2663
Dr. Vincent Cannestra
Hip and knee revisions
 
Best of luck and let us know how your research goes....especially if you find a good surgeon. I'd like to make sure I have him on my list along with why you feel he's a good choice.
 
Ok. Thanks again for your sincerity. It has made a big difference.
 
We all feel a bit more in control when we can be active in our care. Good luck and I hope you find just the right person. We'll be here to help as best we can.
 
Thanks. Each day I feel a little bit better about the situation after talking to doctor's and people on this forum. Kidney doctor decided to gradually take me off prednisone and recommended 2 surgeons in the area for me to contact as options. So the journey begins. Making the right decision is never easy. I appreciate all your input and support.
 
This is good news! Hang in there and we'll always be here to offer support when you need us. It's good to see you taking the lead and advocating for yourself. You've got this!
 
Thanks. Will keep you posted. Everyday can be a challenge but your support makes a difference. Found doctor's can be very sensitive when you try to get a second opinion. When I tried to set up an appointment in midwest orthopedic in another community to get a second opinion on treatment, I found that it takes a lot of hoops to go through. With such a large community of doctor's you think the patient would have a choice. Had to go to a completely different practice to get an appointment with a different doctor. Sometimes the illness is not the only problem for the patient.
 
It’s outrageous that they make it so hard. Well done for battling through.
 
Anterior vs. Posterior hip surgery? Which is best and how do you determine what is right for you?
 
The really important answer is that you should choose a surgeon who is confident he can deal with your unique set of circumstances and is confident he can give you a new hip with the best outcome.
Then the Surgeon will use the approach that he is highly trained to use.

I have had a great outcome with Bilateral hip Replacement via the anterior approach.
Many hippies have had the same outcome with Posterior and Lateral approaches.
Anterior often boasts of quicker recovery, but it has been my experience on the forum, that the recovery experience lines converge at some point for long term recovery.
All can be safely and successfully utilized for THR.

My research online has shown that strong, convincing, high-quality studies comparing the different approaches is lacking at this time.
Surgeons are therefore recommended to choose whichever approach they are most comfortable and experienced using.
 
Approach depends on your surgeon's expertise and your particular case and your body. Each approach has its benefits and drawbacks and one isn't "better" than the other. Part of choosing the surgeon is trusting that they know what's best for our situation based on their training and experience. In my opinion it's something to be discussed if you have questions, but I can't imagine myself insisting on one or the other after reading a few articles in the interwebs and/or talking to someone who knows someone who...

Consider that with hip replacement, we can count the incision healing in terms of days, the muscles in terms of weeks, but the hip replacement in its entirety takes about a year no matter the approach. It's the final outcome that matters, not where you are in the healing process after several weeks or months.

Best wishes for finding a great surgeon.
 
Thanks. Appreciate all the information. There sometimes is so much to process. After going through a transplant and by pass surgery, I realize any decision results in a treatment and not always an immediate cure.
 
Scheduled to see two different surgeons next month. What should I expect after surgery and how far apart should each surgery be? One leg is functional at times but I often go from cane to walker. The other leg is more functional with no limp as yet. Both legs have shown a v n on mri. Note - have started water therapy to keep a regular exercise routine.
 
Last edited:
Hello @Eyak
Wishing you the best with your appointments next month.
As far as what to expect after surgery, if you will be a tad more specific hopefully we can answer your question. I’m not sure if you’re referencing pain, mobility, sleep, activity etc

In regard to how far apart your surgeries should be, your surgeon and PCP may be the best to advise on that taking your general health into consideration, your medical history, how bad your other hip is, whether you have help at home and what you’re comfortable with.

I will leave the Activity Progression for THR for you to read. It may give you an idea of the activity you’ll likely be capable of for the first couple months. Keep in mind, it’s only a rough gauge. Some excel, some lag behind, both are okay.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Lots of comfort to you as you’re making decisions and moving forward.
 
Thanks. Will probably need more input as time progresses. This forum as been very helpful.
 
Tentative schedule for right hip surgery on June 3. Need to go through typical testing before surgery. Decided to go with surgeon with experience in anterior approach. Continuing water therapy. As weather improves really missing hikes in the forest. Surgeon said we will wait on second hip and evaluate later. Am presently in the process of going off prednisone which caused the problem. Question - once I have surgery to improve mobility and reduce pain. When you have avn do you have to go through surgery more than once at the same sight?
 
once I have surgery to improve mobility and reduce pain. When you have avn do you have to go through surgery more than once at the same sight?
If you are having a total hip replacement (I assume this based on what you posted earlier on this thread) there will not need to be more surgery on that hip. The joint will be replaced by an implant.

Here's a link to some information about this procedure.
 
Thanks for info.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom