TKR automatic or adjustable elevation on couch with ottoman

Josephine wrote >> Oh, and by the way: using your ottoman is not the correct way to elevate<<
Thanks, Josephine. The only practicable place I can sit is on couch with pillows piled on top of comparatively substantial surface area and with bad knee slightly elevated above hip. Would you recommend anything else, with the understanding that this is only place I can sit during the day? I ordered a lounge doctor which should arrive within a week. I intend to use this while sitting up in couch. Do you think this will work? I do not have any place (other than bedroom) where I can recline and still watch TV and have all my stuff (computer, phone, etc.) next to me.

Side note - I was at 94 at time of discharge 24 - 36 hours after surgeery. Since I returned home I am nowhere close to 90. I'm not sure why I have regressed presumably due to swelling.
 
Last edited:
Side note - I was at 94 at time of discharge 24 - 36 hours after surgeery. Since I returned home I am nowhere close to 90. I'm not sure why I have regressed presumably due to swelling.
Yes, that happens to a lot of people. Even if you don't intend to, you often do more once you get home, and the swelling increases.
Don't worry. It will go down again.

Don't start to worry about ROM yet - it's far too early.
There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
Thanks, Celle. PT measured today and I was 54 ROM (94 upon discharge) and negative 2
 
Those measurements are OK for your stage of recovery.

Rest, ice, and elevate, to help you knee heal and the swelling go down. Exercise just a little, and do it gently.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
Thank you Celle. Such a thoughtful and informative reply.
 
I had total knee replacement surgeries in March and June 2018. The lounge doctor help. Know, the reason for my reply is to remind you to elevate. As they say here, elevate/ice/rest. You need to elevate to prevent and reduce swelling? Flat in bed, or having the leg horizontally in a recliner, sofa or couch did not worked for me. Using an ice machine helped me, and with reduce swelling you will get more ROM.
 
Back
Top Bottom