Theory is I'll be ready for discharge on Friday - 3 days from now.
Had a busy day - started with how to cook yourself breakfast class (best brekkie in 2 weeks I reckon), had a good morning P/T session and then had a home visit! Occupational Therapist drove me out to the house and I got to show her I can get up 15 steps to my front door on crutches - and then walked through the house measuring and getting tips/hints. Got to say hello to my fuzzy kitty kids before heading back to the rehab hospital - where it all went pear-shaped.
Wasn't supposed to have an afternoon P/T session because of the home visit, but nurse ran up to me as I came in the door, handed me two endone and a glass of water and told me the Doctor had been in and decided I didn't have enough ROM and needed to see the P/T for another session.
P/T had been 'worded' up and decided we needed to start with lunges, then the roller skate board, use a strap to pull the foot into a more flexed position...She also told me I need to work harder and not to be afraid of a little pain. Now that just ticked me off, I'm working my butt off, I'm trying hard, stretching and taking care of myself. When she asked me what I thought was limiting my ROM I pointed out two spots on my knee where the tightness was holding me back. I said I'm sure the swelling is a large part of it (you can't tell where my knee cap is yet and I'm still producing enough heat to warm a small village in winter) She told me that 14 days after surgery there's no swelling holding me back, just muscle stiffness because I haven't challenged and worked through it yet. I did what I could, pushing as hard as I could without hurting myself and went back to my room where I've gone through a couple of ice packs, pain meds and I find that at the moment, I can't even lock that knee because it's sore and swollen.
I think they want me to 'hurt myself' so they can get one good ROM measurement before discharging me.
It's not going to happen. The ROM will come without me pulling a muscle. No one has looked at the leg, the swelling to see if it's holding me back, just making assumptions and I'm rather appalled. If they want better ROM before discharge that's fine, I can stay past Friday, but I'm not buying into the ROM now or never ****.
Very angry and very disappointed tonight.