• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Arkansas Hip Revised

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorHeidi

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
United States United States
Oh my, the creative juices are flowing.... I used to watch Rawhide and Rowdy Yates.
Great singalong.... I wanted to give you creative and funny, but only rate it once. :heehee:

OP
OP
ARHip

ARHip

senior
Country
Bandage changing time. All looks well. Incision site won't see light of day again till Friday a week, when doctor takes a look.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Love your BoneSmart song!!! Now if we can just get you to make a YouTube video!!

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
So pleased your recovery is progressing well - amazing what the mind will come up with when allowed to wander and watch movies - I love it!

OP
OP
ARHip

ARHip

senior
Country
Time can get away from you. The result is reality. I've been taking pain meds by schedule, so no it's not that.

Yesterday, I was just about at the end of a 15min walk around the house (slow and steady with a cane) like I did the day before. My cell phone rang, and then old habits kicked in. I kept walking,... talking on the phone. When the call ended, I looked at the clock and it is 30 minutes later. 45 minutes walking! I did a quick body check and all seemed OK. I sat back down in my "nest" and continued the day.

The day continued ... and the pain increased. Oh, (censored word)! I increased pain meds for the night, and this morning pain is just a little more that is was yesterday before my little walk. All is OK, but lesson learned.

For those lurking through BoneSmart, learn from our little mess-ups....

"Nine days after surgery, don't do a 45 minute walk!"

And my friends out there, you just got a little giggle at my expense.

:bow: :grin:

bottomshollow

ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
:heehee: The real giggle @ARHip is that it will happen again---several agains---before your recovery is complete. It's just the nature of the human beast over which we seem to have no control whatsoever. So plan to rest, elevate, ice, and take pain meds everytime it happens and forgive yourself for what just can't be helped.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
Yes @ARHip, when we are feeling better, we automatically extend ourselves with the old 'one step forward, two steps back' - but in all reality (providing no lasting damage) this is often the only way to know where our own specific recovery boundary is... Now you know dear friend :)

OP
OP
ARHip

ARHip

senior
Country
ARHip Two Week Report:

Two weeks now since surgery. Nothing real eventful has occurred over the last week, except for the little hike I reported on last Thursday. While the hip is still weak and sore, it seems that yesterday it was less so. I have been taking the Rx pain meds by the clock, pretty much every 4-5 hours. If hip began hurting, I took care of it. Yet yesterday, 4 hours after my morning dose, the pain did not seem to be spiking. At 5 hours, even after a 15 min walk around the house, nothing significant. At 6 hours I took something ... just because I didn't want it to start hurting. This pattern continued through the day. Like usual, I took Rx pain meds at night. This morning I took OTC, and Rx at Noon when pain got uncomfortable. Even so, it seems I have made it over a hurdle regarding pain and I am beginning to wean myself of Rx pain meds.

For those anticipating a Revision surgery due to metallosis complications from a Metal on Metal hip, the following may be interesting:

I have realized that the pain of this revision is different from the THR ten years ago. This time around, there is little to no deep bone pain in my femur and pelvis. (No surgery was done on any bone). If my memory serves me, I was able to walk longer and sooner with the THR. Today, I'm able to walk around with a cane, but the walks must remain short and slow, with very short steps.

With this revision, the OS said he removed a significant amount of soft tissue that had been effected by the cobalt. The result is a different type of pain, and pain that is closer in feel to the pre-operative pain; not the same, but close. In comparison to the THR, it is taking a greater effort in finding a position that is comfortable when I am sitting or lying down.

While the OS said (pre-opp) this might be a quicker recovery, he may not have accounted for the amount of tissue he would have to remove, nor did he have a crystal ball. This is a different type of surgery with a different type of recovery than a THR.

Yet I think my plan MAY still be on track. In two weeks I hope to be back ministering part-time at church. Most of my work can be done at home. Then by six weeks, post surgery, I hope to return to my full-time job of chaplaincy. Then again, I have no crystal ball. My hip and energy level rules, not my plans.

I see OS on Friday. A lot depends on what he says. I hope he has all good things to say.

bottomshollow

ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@ARHip, looking forward to hearing what your OS has to say. Good to know that you feel that you are mostly on track. Another couple of weeks can make a big difference and by six weeks even more.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

OP
OP
ARHip

ARHip

senior
Country
This morning I saw PA, not OS, but that was fine. X-Ray looked good. Could see blemishes where the 35cc of bone graft and DBX mixture was packed in behind the cup. PA said I was doing fine and right on schedule. She re-emphasized the precautions till at least six weeks out. They have seen several dislocations on revisions, from those who think they can get right back to pre-surgery activities. Patients are not waiting for the scar tissue to build back up. I also turned in CECT devise! No more ball and chain! But no more calf massages. Maybe now I can sleep better.

This has been my first real trip out since surgery. Observations: 1. Bucket seats are not fun; 2. You would think Orthopedic offices would have better chairs. They were worse than our mini-van's bucket seats.

How I feel?
- Now down to 1-2 Rx pain pills a day. Using Naproxen or Ibuprofen instead, and pain is much like it was last week with Rx. Well controlled.
- Energy drop occurs every few hours. Like someone pulls my plug. Body is telling me it's nap time. I have absolutely no problem with that.
- Continuing to keep things slow and steady. Look forward to some short outside walks next week if the weather behaves.
- This last week have only used my cane. Walker is folded and put up. Never did use crutches. PA emphasized using the cane through at least 6 weeks post-opp.

MajorHeidi

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Great progress report. Thanks for letting us know what to expect. Keep it up, you're doing great!

OP
OP
ARHip

ARHip

senior
Country
Directive PA gave to me:

"BEHAVE YOURSELF. If we have to see you before your appointment in April, you are in trouble."

Who do they think I am? Surely they don't think I, good old me, would do something stupid? ... Do they know me that well??

Josephine

FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Aww, poor Alan - being told off by the PA before he's even done anything! For shame :sorry:

Sailfreeordie

Country
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.
ARHip,
I am also an Arkansas native. My nephew had a hip replacement a couple of years ago and used the same Doc as you. He has enjoyed very good results and I wish you the same. I no longer live in the Natural State and used an east coast doctor (FL) for my recent hip replacement. You seem to have a great attitude and I am sure things will go well for you! Best of luck for a speedy and complete recovery.

Left Total Hip Replacement, Superpath
December 11, 2013
Dr Elvis Grandic, Boynton Beach Florida

OP
OP
ARHip

ARHip

senior
Country
ARHip's Revision - Three Week Report:

There is not much of anything significant to write about. Each day goes on just a tiny bit better than the day before. Pain is decreasing, which means less medicine; yet I'm walking more so I'm STILL taking medicine. Yesterday morning, I took my first decent long walk outside. It was good to get out, even though it was 27 degrees. But today, it is rain, sleet and ice. I hope weather is clear for tomorrow. I want another long walk! Around the house I am often walking short distances without my cane, but if I'm leaving the room, my cane remains my companion.

I need to continue strengthening my hip. As I'm moving around more, I have noticed a feeling in the hip when I'm walking ... walking normally that is. It is different than before, ... a slight rubbing feeling, and with a little discomfort involved. If I tighten my hip when walking, I don't notice it as much. I was told that with a revision, the hip would be looser than after the first surgery, especially if muscle tissue was removed. This must be part of what my doctor was talking about. I have been doing "the exercises," but not real serious about them, because, well ... it hurt (I was not going to fall for the "no pain, no gain" story and set myself back). After noticing the "rubbing" I have become more serious with the exercises, especially since the exercises now bring little to no discomfort. I can feel how the muscles in the hip need to be tightened up. I am told that new scar tissue is what will really hold things together, but I'm mindful how well things were when the hip muscles were strong. Ten years ago, my surgery was in the Spring and I was quickly outside. Being home-bound due to the weather has not been helpful. Come on warm weather! I need you!!

OP
OP
ARHip

ARHip

senior
Country
Four Weeks After Surgery:

I think I'm well along the way toward healing; as long as I don't do something wrong (stupid, beyond what I'm ready for ...). I am very conscious of the precautions! I have recently weaned myself off prescription meds, now only taking ibuprofen and tylenol. I still want to take a Rx med, do to a weird feeling, but it's not pain, so I don't.

I have some clicking or popping in the hip that will go away if I tighten hip muscles. I attribute this to what is described by B. Sonny Bal et.al. here on BoneSmart (Second Bullet Point): http://bonesmart.org/forum/index.php?threads/Noises-Emanating-From-The-Components-In-Total-Joint-Replacement.1405/. Again, I am very conscious of precautions! From what I read in this article and other places, I'll be VERY susceptible to dislocation until tissue tightens up around hip. The popping means things are NOT tight.

I have increased the exercises to every 3 hours through the day. Fifteen to thirty reps for each exercise. If it hurts in ANY way, I stop that exercise. Again , precautions are in mind. My focus is on Gluteal Squeezes, Heal Slides (for flexibility), Sissor-tail Abduction/ Adduction (sliding legs back and forth on bed), Side-lying Abduction/Adduction, and simply standing and sitting from side of bed. I began this last one because of the popping in hip, which occurred the most sitting or standing - it seems to have helped diminish the popping in hip, at least some.

If all goes well, I hope to be back at work by end of February or first of March. I want hip to be tight! No dislocation allowed!!

There is life after THR and even Revision!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kurt_H
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags