Are/were you a smoker before/after hip surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nana757

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Okay, here I Am, bearing all to the world of BS. I have not seen any conversations at all, regarding smoking. So I am here, coming out of the "smoking closet" and asking if there is anyone else out there who smokes and, if so, what your plans are to quit or not. I am having an extremely difficult time deciding how close to surgery is okay. I know, I know...all you non-smokers out there are shuddering in your shoes... But I am truly curious how other smokers are handling this dilemma.

@Nana757
I cannot tell a lie...I'm grappling with the same issue I'm embarrassed to say. Hopefully we can get some input from some Smarties who had/have our same problem.

Geez! How humiliating!

image.jpg

I'm going to own up, I smoked before and after op, I always say it keeps me sane. I did cut down to 10 a day a year before the op. Now I'm back up to 19 a day, mainly due to spending so much time just sitting. Once I'm back at work and doing normal daily things I'm sure I can cut down again. (19 because our packs don't come in 20's any more).
A word of warning, I took the electronic ciggies into hospital with me, just in case I got desperate. I mentioned it to the nurse, who warned me not to use them as there was an oxygen tank behind my head and everything could blow up. She threatened to take my packet away but I promised I wouldn't use them, which I didn't.
The funny thing is I went three days without, and never had any withdrawal, or even needed a ciggie. But guess what the first thing I did when I got in the car to come home was!!!

@Liznwiz: never thought about the e-cigarette option, which definitely would be better...
I'm curious to know how well you healed and if you had any issues following surgery. Thanks so much for your input.

@Nana757 I think I healed quite well, the scar is neat and I didn't have any problems with it at all. Nor have I had any other major recovery problems, comparing myself to those on Bone Smart, it was a pretty normal recovery. I think the biggest problem would be with blood clots, although I never had one and I'm not even sure that is why they like you to stop.
So having written that sentence, I thought I'd investigate why its necessary to stop smoking before an op. I found this website, which gives quite a good account of why.
http://ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_711.pdf
Perhaps I should have read it before hand, too late for me now.
Just remember if you take your e-cigarettes into hospital not to use them near the oxygen tank. But they are very good to help you cut down. Its what I used to cut back from a full pack to half.

@Liznwiz: thank you...that was a very interesting read. I am thinking back at my prior surgeries, which are numerous (2 neck surgeries, broken foot surgery and several others).. None of which I quit and actually remember smoking on the way to the hospital for my foot (which was my most recent). But my anesthesia was a local for that. I suppose I will resort to the patch, which has worked well for me in my past efforts to at least slow down. Fortunately, for me, all my tests and, in particular, my chest X-ray showed no pulmonary issues. One day at a time, is going to be my mantra. At 67 and smoking over 50 of those, I am probably pushing the envelope. And I certainly don't want to jeopardize the effects and outcome of this surgery.

@Nana757
Three surgeons told me the biggest issue is that smokers do not heal as well. I was also told to forget the patch, as it still delivers nicotine into your system. My surgeon said anything that has nicotine in it will still delay healing.

@Cynthia777: yes, I have been told that as well. But, my primary care Dr said I could actually wear the patch during surgery. I certainly don't plan on doing that, though. I guess the bottom line is, quitting IS the best option and I will do my best to do that. ARGHHH!!!! Losing my best friend will be a tough row to hoe. Maybe I'll try hypnosis..it worked for 9 months for me but that was years ago. Amazingly enough, I had absolutely no withdrawal from it and being around other smokers did not bother me at all. I guess it's worth another try. @Josephine: do you have any input that might be helpful...good or bad...:beg:

Nicotine constricts your blood vessels, delaying healing.

Please do not expose others to your second hand smoke, I am a poster child why you should not smoke around children. I have reduced lung function, take expensive medications, and am on oxygen at night, I never smoked.

@Pumpkln
Interesting that you should bring that up! My daughter is 27 years old and from the day she was born I only smoked outside and only when she was not present. I am the most courteous of smokers, distancing myself at least 100 feet from all people. To this day I only smoke outside and she's been gone for six years! I'm sorry you weren't so fortunate!

I too am one of the most considerate smokers I know. I do not smoke around non smokers and have always been like that. I understand that second hand smoke can be detrimental to those who are susceptible to getting illnesses associated with it and am sorry you have been afflicted with lung problems. I am also aware of all the problems that smoking contributes to. I know I would probably have a whole lot more stamina, at the very least, than I do now. The bottom line is I wish I never started...but after 50+ years, it's a monkey on my back that won't go away. Maybe one day I will stop completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom