Aprilgirl's Journey-a partial revision to 2 total knees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aprilgirl

Country
United States United States
Hi All,
I am one week away from getting my revision of a left partial knee. The journey begins again, problem is that I don't remember many of the details of my first hospital stay and what I remember I get mixed up with a b cancer surgery and hospital stay. I do remember loving the hospital and the nurses and my dear hubby fills me in on the rest. I'm going to try to keep a journal this time-has anyone done that? Are you able to accomplish that? Will I even care to try to write? My next surgery will be a RTK in April so it would be nice to remember something!
Lori in MN
PS I also wanted to start my own thread.

I see that you now have a thread to call your very own, you will love how much the advice, support and comments mean to you and how helpful everyone on here can be. This is my 5 th knee surgery and I have made some very good friends and wonderful online relationships here going back to my 2009 when I had my LPKR
Today I have had a burst of energy, I think I must be nesting in preparation for my surgery next week, cleaning out drawers, medicine cabinet and organizing all the things I will need handy by my bedside after I get home.
Sissy

Lori, do you have a laptop or an iPad? If you do you can journal right here on your post op thread while in the hospital. Just get your husband to remind you to take a few notes and then you can fill in details later. I know I was way too out of it to make sense at first but when reminded I could recall how I was feeling.

Hi April.

Here's your previous threads
Revision of PKR and scared!
Aprilgirl's pre-surgery questions for OS

and here's the recovery articles if you want to bone up on them again (pardon the pun!)
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

I had a "reminder" of how bad my knee has become today! I've taught 36 years of kindergarten and I retired almost 3 years ago. Today I went back to help with some preschoolers in a screening process. I sat in a tiny chair, standing up often, demonstrated how to balance on one foot, how to hop and how to skip. I repeated that demo 12 times for different students! Tonight I am OUCH!!! I'm so glad to be having surgery in 5 days! The hospital called today and I am all rechecked in. First one Monday morning, 5:45 check in-great!
Lori in Minnesota

oopss.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FirstroundSAFS
Recent bookmarks