TKR April rainbows

Three times a week PT and 7,000 steps is a lot at 5 weeks.

May I ask in what way you feel you're not getting anywhere?
Are you having pain and swelling?
What are some things you can do and what are you trying to do and can't?

If we understand what's troubling you, we may have some practical advice to offer!
 
I am closing up on 6 weeks
My PT pushes me and I also push myself
I am at a 105 Rom
And extension is about 5
I have swelling but goes down each day
I try to walk about 6,000 steps a day
Ice. Elevate 3 times
Good sleep no pain
No sharp pain at any time
Just a little swollen and bruised on left of knee
I will not stop
I wan to be on Pickleball Golf in 3 months
I take 2 day off and a week
I will not stop
 
@Peterfox I moved your post above, out of Antpitta’s thread, to keep your history all together in your one Recovery Thread. Please continue to post your updates here.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.


Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi there :wave:Happy Friday to you! You're doing well, Peterfox!
Keep up the good work and enjoy the weekend!
@Peterfox
 
OK, if I don’t do anything and just minor stretches with no walk, I cannot tell the difference of the pain level. If I go to PT and walk, it is about the same pain level
Now what
Numbness on outside of knee
Still can’t make a bike circle
But ROM. About 104
Swelling not allowing my extension
Almost 6 weeks out
 
How is everyone doing?
April 1st surgery, now at 6 weeks post op.
Numbness, swelling? Yes.
 
Numbness is totally expected, from the cut little sensory nerves.
In time you may be surprised by what happens as they heal and reconnect... Often they don't communicate well, so for a while we can get funny sensations.

On my second TKR it took me considerably longer to bike a bike circle. Have patience, it will come. It will be a great milestone!

Walking within comfort tolerance is a great knee rehab. I always found a short walk the best remedy for stiffness. Are you using a cane? Are you practicing heel toe stride?
[Bonesmart.org] April rainbows
 
Hi and Happy Saturday Peterfox :wave:

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. The numbness is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op. While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Are you still icing and elevating for the swelling? If not, give it a dedicated try, it should help. Always take care to place fabric over bare skin to protect it from the ice source.
@Peterfox
 
@Peterfox

We share the same surgery date! You seem to be coming along very well. Are you really doing 6000 steps a day? I couldn't do that pre-surgery. I can manage 12 minutes of walking outside with cane, then I have to come inside and ice.

My only claim to fame is excellent bending skills. Otherwise, I just feel super tired. This is my second knee replacement, and it is going considerably better than my first. It's sometimes a bit frustrating wishing that things would move along at a much greater speed, and things return to some semblance of normal, whatever your normal was to start with. My normal was being in really bad shape, with muscles and tendons and ligaments all out of whack from having to compensate for my wrecked knee.

I count myself fortunate to have the opportunity to have the surgery, and I am grateful to all the support here.

Just offering a little bit of support and admiration for your dedication to your recovery.

Cheers
 
Thank you I don’t have a good bend. Because I am swelling. I hope that will come in the future. As they put me on a 15 mg of meloxicam
Almost 7?weeks out
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you enjoy the month of June as you continue healing. :SUNsmile:
@Peterfox
 
I am definitely seeing an improvement. Have played nine holes of golf and minimum pickle ball. PT three times a week. With water aerobics in between. I really want to get on my electric bike but could not turn a stationary bike around How long will it be? What can I do to increase the advantage? Would I be putting myself in danger biking? How do I know when I’m ready?
 
Swelling has went down tremendously, but still can’t get that rotation
 
Oops
Did two hours of Pickleball yesterday and feeling it today
Very swollen
Ice. Ice. I’ve
Activity produces swelling
Need to watch what activity I do
 
You're now a full fledged member of the OverDid It Club (ODIC). We've all spent time there....

My rule of thumb is, if I'm in the ODIC, reduce the activity (time or distance) by half, then as tolerated increase by very very small increments.

I had great range of motion very early, was doing great community walking, yet couldn't manage a rotation on a stationary bike until... (checks notes)... post op day 63!!! For some reason some of us do have problems with

BTW... You are challenging your knee much more early than most of us dare. Please remember it's a full year recovery.

You may want to defer being on a real bike out in the world, e- or otherwise, until you think you can manage a fall without injuring your new knee.

1705510297746.png
 
I am at 3 months and ended PT because traveling north to get away from heat here
ROM 117.
Extension 4
I would like to do biking and some tennis
Will it continue to get better
Is it to early for this
 
Those numbers are good for only 3 months out. You are only 1/4 of the way through this yearlong recovery and will continue to see improvement. Playing Pickleball for two hours is a good reason to be sore today. I would say to let your knee be your guide if you are doing too much or not. Many can do these things for as much as 6 months, so it is an individual thing.
 
So excited to get up here in the mountains. Took a 2 mile hike yesterday off flat but feeling it today with swelling.
Tried to use my electric bike yesterday, but could not get the circle around so I don’t feel comfortable on it yet.
Sitting here with knee elevated and ice.
Also dealing with 14 stairs. But I have not been used to.
 
I had very good recoveries, yett took me a really long time to be able to use the exercise bike! Despite really good knee flexion, when I had to flex the hip as well, it was a problem.

I did a bit over two miles at 16 weeks. One thing I learned the hard way is to back off as needed, then continue small incremental increases.
If your knee reacted to two miles next day, try 1.75 miles a few times, then go back up to 2 a few times, etc.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom