Bilateral TKR April 7 is the big day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there's an easier way, but what I do is save at least one email notification for some activity on my thread ( like, comment etc). Then when I want to go directly to my thread, I just enter via the "view this thread" on the email.
 
You know when you're in a thread and there's the "go to first unread" button on the left hand side? Go to the right hand side and you'll see a button that says "watch thread." Just click on it and you'll be watching.
 
Good days and bad. Over the past few days of PT i realized that that there is very little coordination between the the scheduling of pain drugs and PT. I'm on a 4 hr drug plan rather than "as Needed". Yesterday I had kind of a mini meltdown. To much pain during PT. I had a nice long talk with the PA in charge of the nurses. Sometimes the nurses get a little two structured with the dispensing of the meds. Long story short I started taking my drugs a different times to coincide with PT. Works a lot better now. I also had a therapist that realized I was having a bad day and made the late morning PT a lot more enjoyable. We went for a slow walk to the hospital store and than stopped by a coffee stand for cup of coffee. Later I realized that not only did she get me out but we also got a lot of exercise. Walking, resting, up, down, more walking. The change of pace was what I needed.
 
Hang in there, Den! This is going to take some time, some days are horrid, others...fairly easy but regardless...this is going to be a long slog. Glad you figured out the drugs, they will be your best friend for the forseeable future. 26 months out here....life gets really good as you go!
 
Stay strong @den70chev . There are and will be ups and downs. We have to slog through the bad days until they are distant memories. It will happen!
 
Everyday seems to get a little better. Knees still hurt but the pain in manageable. Thanks for the support. Let's see if I remembered correctly, Ice, elevate, rest and medicate. Trying to stay positive helps. Today I meet a couple of therapy DOGS. Yes dogs. They come around and love to be petted. Well so do I.
 
Two weeks ago today I had my surgery. Spent 13 days in the hospital rehab unit. The only reason I was allowed to be there was the BKTR. If I only had one done I would have been sent home in 4 days to do in home therapy. A nice suggestion I received from my PT was to have my wife bring the vehicle I was going home in for a dry run. So one after noon my wife brought my daughters minivan and the PT took me down and we did a dry run. This really helped come discharge day because everybody knew what to do. Results...easy in, easy out and smooth ride home. So far the pain is getting less. Don't need the pain meds all the time. Sleeping pretty much through the night. Walking fairly well with walker for stability It's feels a lot better being home.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome progress and attitude!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
I know it's been awhile since my last post so I'd like to give everyone a little history and update. On Apr 7th I had my surgery BTKR. Two days after the surgery I was moved to the in hospital rehab unit only because of the BTKR. A great place. My own room with flat screen TV and my own thermostat. Which for me is a major plus because I'm warm blooded. PT and OT started the next day. 3 hours spread out over the day. Had to have the nurse follow me around so I could get my pain meds on time to be helpful. I must admit in the beginning, especially during rehab the pain levels were at 6-8 levels. Everyday there was improvement. Less pain and more mobility. Near the end my PT had my wife bring down the vehicle I was going home in for a dry run. This really helped the day I was discharged. Smooth and easy ride home. After 10 days in the hospital rehad I was released and sent home. In house therapy started the next day. Today is May 1st, not quite 4 weeks since the surgery, my PT had me doing the basement stairs. A little painful but once it was over I felt tired but good that I could do some steps. Today I took some mail to my mail bow and since the weather was so nice, I want for a short walk on my own. What a great feeling. I must admit I've cut way back on the pain meds because the pain is minimal. I go see my OS next Wednesday and I'm sure I'll be going to out patient PT next week.
 
You are sailing right along!! Great job! Thanks for stopping by too!!! :)
 
Very helpful to practice on your own steps.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom