Guest viewing is limited

THR April 12 - Second THR

Looks beautiful @MissFanny! I am glad to hear you are recovering so well :) I only count my steps when I go on walks outside and averaging about the same at 6 weeks, so well done!
 
@ChickensMom, I only started paying attention to my steps again this week. I looked back at my history and found the first few days, I was around 1,500. After the first week, I was up into the 2,500-3,000 zone. More recently, I was getting close to 4,000. I knew that wasn’t causing me any discomfort, so I decided my challenge this week would be to see if I can tolerate 5,000/day. I can and a little more even!
 
@ChickensMom, I only started paying attention to my steps again this week. I looked back at my history and found the first few days, I was around 1,500. After the first week, I was up into the 2,500-3,000 zone. More recently, I was getting close to 4,000. I knew that wasn’t causing me any discomfort, so I decided my challenge this week would be to see if I can tolerate 5,000/day. I can and a little more even!

You are really putting in the work like your neighbour said :)

I probably could stand walking more than 6k steps nowadays, but I feel I am up all day around the apartment, doing a bit of cleaning, sewing, cooking... It's a good balance of activities, and I am one to get bored quickly if I force myself to do more than 2 walks a day :P
 
Aw, snap. Definitely going back to work Monday. My work release has been faxed. I can’t decide if I’m happy or bummed out. It doesn’t seem fair that as soon as you start feeling good again, you have to go back to the grind! :loll: But it is only half days this first week, which will go quickly. Most of it will probably be sorting through my 1,000+ emails. My work bestie took over on a couple important projects for me and she said it is going well, so at least I know I am not coming back to a mess.

My boss is going to be surprised but I still have 31 days of PTO to use this year. I was frantically trying to prepare for surgery and leave and didn’t take much time early this year. So, I still have a lot of time off when I am feeling better to look forward to.

I better enjoy myself as much as possible the next few days! We are going to one of my favorite parks this afternoon.
 
6,000 steps - outstanding! Though walking is feeling good, I’m not doing anywhere near that. You’re inspiring me to do a few more!
 
I don’t know how I got so lucky, but I sincerely feel good. Slept 8.5 hours last night. I am almost euphoric with energy and good feelings. Today is going to be the nicest day of the year so far—77 F and sunny—and I hope to spend most of the day in the yard and on the deck. I still have some aching in my thigh that keeps me using my cane, but I feel like I’m healing well.

I am even feeling excited about returning to work! A couple of my colleagues texted yesterday to tell me they’re excited for my return. I support the software, projects, and process improvement initiatives for two busy lending departments at a bank and tbh they are probably excited to have me back so they can stop troubleshooting problems in my absence! But it was nice to hear from them. My DIL is in the IT department and texted me to log on because she needed to update my laptop for Monday. I didn’t realize it, but my computer was unplugged (and off the network) when we plugged my hospital bed in. Oops. I didn’t get any security or computer updates for more than 3 weeks. Luckily, my patient DIL took care of it, god love her.

Did two loops (planned to do one) at my favorite park. 35-minute walk with two 5-minute breaks on park benches. I have mentioned in another thread I am a birder: we spotted a Northern Mockingbird yesterday! I saw tons of these while I was in Arizona this winter, but they are pretty rare in my neck of the woods. The last time I saw one here was more than 10 years ago when I was taking a master conservationist course.

Plans for the remainder of the week: rest, get a little sun, relax, have hubby put the house back together while I direct, call and have the hospital bed hauled away, eat healthful foods, walk, and maybe begin some light stretching. :loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
One thing I am starting to think about is an upcoming two-day music festival we have tickets to. It is May 19-20, so I still have two weeks to get in shape for it. Fortunately, this is a local event and I can go home whenever I need to. Hubs can get a ride with friends or Uber if he wants to stay longer. It’s hard to imagine sitting in a camping chair right now, but I do have two more weeks of healing to get there. :dancy:
 
I just went back and read my entire recovery thread. What a ride! I can’t believe all of this has transpired over just a little more than three weeks. Also, I am glad I only have two hips and they are now both fixed. Although, I will almost certainly require revision surgery because of my age. I am not going to think about that yet, though! Rather, I am going to enjoy my new hips I have worked so hard for.

Took one reasonable and one longer walk yesterday. That longer walk got a little hairy in the end. I started getting lots of clicking in my hip—I have had none up to now—so I know those muscles were getting fatigued. That clicking gave me some low grade anxiety. We had to find a bench and sit while I took some deep breaths even though we were very near the end of the walk. We went out to eat and stuffed ourselves on Mexican food and I put it behind me! Rested the remainder of the evening and I feel great this morning.

I think I may stop using the cane in the house starting today. I don’t really need it—I am just terrified of triggering knee pain.

Going out to yard/garage sales this morning! My niece is pregnant so I will see if I can rustle up some baby clothes and gear for her. That will give me something easy I can do to fill the morning.

Slept 8 hours again! I hope I can continue to sleep like this. This is better than I slept before surgery.

Monday is back to work half days! But first I will enjoy this weekend.
 
Your recovery is remarkable and I bet it's your great positive attitude that is helping you along.
Enjoy the weekend and hope work isn't too overwhelming!
 
Thank you, @myglasshalffull! I am grateful for the good sleep—I think it’s making a tremendous difference—and just plain grateful things have gone as well as they have. And finally, I am grateful to have this community to connect with! I was reading back over my posts about knee pain: I can almost guarantee I would have been terrified and ruminating about that if I didn’t have people chiming in to say it’s normal and temporary! The way my mind works, I would have been planning my knee replacement surgery. :heehee:
 
MissFanny, that’s fantastic! My second THR is June 1; right after the first on 4/13. Like you, my prospects for revision are real, but we should be so fortunate live enough (and long enough) to get to that point. I hope my second recovery goes like yours - congratulations on getting back to regularly scheduled life!
 
My mom told me today she’s not surprised I have hip problems. She said I was so bow legged as a baby, I didn’t walk until I was 18 months old. My daughter said, “Gee, wouldn’t it have been nice if your parents did something about it.” :heehee: I suspect issues like that were not addressed in 1969.
 
Just looked it up—this is fairly common and harmless in babies and typically corrects when the child starts walking. My hippy parents’ parenting style was definitely “benign neglect” as we like to joke. But it sounds like in this case, no intervention was necessary.
 
These updates are beginning to sound the same—slept well, walked!—because there’s not much change lately. It does seem I can tolerate walking a little longer and bending a little further every day, but otherwise I am living Groundhog Day rn.

• Hubs put the house back in order and I had the hospital bed taken away. I put the smaller rugs back down. (I’m careful.) It’s beginning to look and feel like home around here.
• I walk off the cane approximately half the day, but I keep it nearby. I am still babying that thigh and knee and think it’s for the best. Even though it’s easy to forget sometimes, I often remind myself I am still only in week 3!
• I continue to take ibuprofen on a regular schedule (every 6 hours). Sometimes when my alarm sounds for my afternoon dose, I think, “I could probably skip this dose; I feel totally fine!” But since I am still in early recovery, I am staying on my regular schedule, including a 1 am dose, to keep the pain under control and my body moving! I still take one Tramadol at bedtime, too. That’s the last of the prescription drugs I take.
• Still using the toilet riser. After two surgeries, I would like to burn that thing in a raging bonfire, but when I look at the toilet without it, it looks a long way down!
• Still using the sock thing-a-ma-jig, but can tie my own shoes.
• Doing quite a few household chores, but haven’t resumed cooking. I think that’s more out of sheer laziness. If hubs isn’t around to cook or we don’t eat out, I live on peanut butter toast, fruit, and salads.
• I haven’t started a regular schedule of exercise, but I test myself when I think of it. For example, if I am outside near a very low step we have in our yard, I will do 10 step ups with my surgery leg. If I am in a firm chair that’s high enough, I will stand and sit unassisted 5 times. While watching TV, I will do leg lifts. I very slowly bend over and pick things off the floor. Those stretches make me feel the best. I will incorporate some regular exercise at 4 weeks if it doesn’t feel painful.

I watched a Stanley Kubrick documentary last night and it had me pining for one more week off. There are 2 movies of his I haven’t seen (Spartacus and Barry Lyndon) and several I would like to rewatch. Now that my brain isn’t foggy with painkillers, I could have a Stanley Kubrick film festival if I only had one more week without work! Alas, I will have to watch them like a “normal” person—spaced out over time.
 
I was born with dislocated hip, my Mom said one leg was shorter than other, of course I was born in 1952 and you only had one doctor for the family, he did it all, delivered the babies, shots, prescriptions. My Mom kept saying to the doctor that one of my legs was shorter and he told her she was a worry wart, but at three months of age she persisted that she wanted to get to Children's Hospital in Boston. So doctor made the appointment for her. And, sure enough my Mom was right. They made up a cast from my waist down to my knees with a bar on bottom to keep my legs in correct position. I wore it at night from time I was 3 months to one year when finally the hips aligned. My Mom kept the cast for years, of course I was too little to know any of it then but if she hadn't stuck to her guns back then I would have had one leg shorter than the other. Not sure why I was born that way, no ultrasounds and stuff like that back then, heck I had my first son in 70's and no routine ultrasound then either. Nowadays ultrasounds from the get go.
 
@myglasshalffull, I am so glad your mom was persistent! Especially in those days, I think everyone just yielded to what their doctor was saying. My grandmother and MIL did not advocate for themselves even though they knew something was wrong to their detriment. I definitely do my research, know my body well, and advocate for myself. No one knows me better than I know me!

Kudos to your mom! That would have caused considerable suffering throughout your life.
 
@MissFanny I think reports like yours are wonderful! Yes it's thrilling to see folks doing strenuous activities and exciting trips, but for many folks mundane achievements are what their lives are all about. So the early "mundane" stuff is encouraging. And they are achievements and signs that the new normal is getting to be common place in your life. I remember reporting on returning from doing errands about 2 months after my BTHR and walking up my front steps talking to a neighbor while carrying my cane + bag of groceries and purse. "Mundane" multitasking ... :heehee:

@myglasshalffull Years ago I read an article about hip dysplasia like you describe. It is apparently fairly common and the Spika cast you describe was the treatment of choice back in the day (BRAVA for your Mom being so persistent!). The article was more about babies in Africa and doctors there being surprised at the apparent low numbers of children with hip dysplasia. But further research showed that number of infants born with this was about the same as other parts of the world. Thing was, the way African mothers carried their babies - in a sling usually with baby's legs spread around Mom's hip or across her back - was actually treating hip dysplasia! So by the time infants were walking, all signs of the born with problem hips was corrected.
 
Isn't it amazing (and perhaps somewhat sad) that we take everyday life so much for granted until an event gets in the way? I bet everyone on this thread has come to recognize the beauty of "normality" as we strive to return to it. :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom