THR April 12 - Second THR

@MissFanny I'm catching up on your thread, loved to read that you do meditation. That and also practising gratitude helped me immensely through the tough days.

For the swelling I hope you don't mind my giving you some reading to do on this? It can be very helpful in moving some of the excess fluids. Maybe the photo was at an angle that didn't show correctly the height of your elevated legs but I would think having a bit more elevation would be helpful, too.
No worries if that isn't possible, we will just "go with the flow".

You are doing so well and your recovery thread is a good read, your honesty and humor are so refreshing!!
Here's my little Manual Lymphatic Drainage tips:

****
Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 3-4, then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you can get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will and it will help get the swelling moving.
The reason this can help is because many of our lymph nodes are located in our abdomen. Our breathing combined with moderate pressure over our naval can help to "prime" our lymph system.

***********

Additional notes: you can reach down to your knee and lightly stroke upwards your groin after doing the steps above. Then lastly, gently pump the back of your knee in a rolling, upward motion towards the trunk of your body, using all 4 fingers of your hand and NO fingertips pressing in..

This can be effective if done daily.. use light pressure, no deep pushing. This isn't a no pain no gain thing.

I hope this helps!!

****

I noticed you mentioned dry brushing, so this would be perfect after you do the deep breathing. :thumb:

Just screenshotted this for later! Thanks again @CricketHip!
 
I got outside for a walk yesterday and those seven minutes up and down the sidewalk improved my mood a lot. I can’t believe how much everything changed since my April 12 surgery! Trees, my bleeding hearts, and the neighbor’s daffodils are in bloom. The grass is emerald green. It was chilly but sunny and clear and I tried to soak in as many rays as I could.

The sun exposure must have done me good. I slept 7 hours and 41 minutes! My best night of sleep yet.

Decided to skip the cane practice yesterday. My knee and the back of my surgery thigh are still sore and tender. I am eager to get going on my cane, but not at the cost of more pain. With my first recovery, I forgot to buy a cane and didn’t really start on it until after my 2-week check up. That worked out just fine. Trying hard to be patient, but I admit that doesn’t come to me naturally. The messages from staff here imploring people to give healing time have been helpful.

It was nice having company (my husband) all weekend, but I look forward to not overeating this week. :heehee: I hate to complain because he’s an amazing partner and really good cook, but all weekend it was French toast and bacon, breakfast burritos, ham and mashed potatoes, mac and cheese—heavy, comforting, delicious . . . but too much for my body when I’m barely moving. I was hungry and ate it all, though. I cannot imagine the calories burned healing from something like this. I have been eating normally since surgery and still I can tell I have lost a little weight. I wish I could have lost a little weight before surgery! That would have been more helpful.

He went to the store yesterday and I had him stock me up on fresh fruit and veggies, lentils, and spring water. My “treat” is 70% cacao chocolate I plan to eat with berries. Going to try to get back on track with healthful eating today.

All in all, doing well. I would like to send that knee pain to a fiery hell, but I know it will resolve if I continue to be gentle and patient with myself.
 
Last edited:
:wave: and good early morning:mcoffee:here in Georgia.

The dreaded Over Did It Club (0.D.I.C.) is NOT a good club to join after you joined the double hippy club.

Your recovery thread reminds me alot of mine...there are definitely lots of niggles these early days but keeping yourself positive and slow and steady, as you know, is the best way!

I hope you have a great day.:SUNsmile::flwrysmile::SUNsmile:
 
@Mojo333, I have said it before and I will say it again: finding BoneSmart and the feedback we get from you and your teammates has been a game changer. I am not sure I would be this mellow about the knee pain if I didn’t know what I know now being on this site! Thank you! <3
 
All those weekend meals sound yummy! I put on close to 15 lbs. in a year after hip surgery, now getting back to some physical activity and losing a little at a time. I was shocked when my doctor weighed me. I don't weigh myself at home usually go by how my clothes fit. Too tight, eat less, loose, ok I'll have some ice cream! LOL!
I feel the same about this group, I couldn't have made it through w/o all the knowledgeable folks here and they all make you feel like you are special.
 
@myglasshalffull, I gained 30 pounds in the 3 years leading up to menopause. I can’t afford to gain more. :heehee: I have been trying to lose weight between surgeries—and I was down 9 when they weighed me for surgery #2—but it sure doesn’t come off as easily as it used to. I am kind of hanging my hat on being more successful with weight loss after healing from this. Hopefully, more activity and better sleep will follow and be the winning combination.
 
This story is going to sound buck crazy, but it’s true and it has a happy ending! After hubby got off work yesterday, I was chomping at the bit to get outside for a walk. It was sunny, warm, and gorgeous. I had enjoyed some of our good weather fortune from the deck, but I was ready for a walk. Going down our front porch steps, my knee (which has been hurting a lot since around day 3 or 4) was aching terribly. I almost called the walk off, but the air felt so good and we had gotten through the hardest part—getting my 4-wheeled walker out of the front door and down the porch. About 5 minutes into my walk, my knee stopped hurting and it hasn’t hurt again since. I WALKED IT OFF! :loll:Who knows what that was about but my theory is something in there adjusted itself by my walking.

I am still not going to get on the cane today, though. I am starting my own club called the OCCC (Overly Cautious Chicken Club). That knee pain is something I hope to never experience again, so I’m just going to give everything one more day to heal up real good.

My bandage was starting to peel and water was getting under it so I removed it yesterday. Last surgery, the nurse had me remove it about this time so I figured it was okay. Incision looks good! Feels freeing to have that bandage gone, too. Another milestone crossed.

Speaking of milestones, tomorrow is 2 weeks since my surgery date. And Thursday I go for my first follow up and to have my staples removed.

It’s probably obvious by my tone, but I’m feeling loads better these days. Thinking about when I should return to work. May 9 for a week of half days and then full schedule sounds manageable, but I have time to think about that. I work from home so no commute. But my job is stressful and I work on projects and am in meetings all day. It is nothing for me to be in a 2+ hour online meeting for a project. Needless to say, I cannot handle sitting at a desk for over 2 hours without a break right now. I also don’t know how much stress I can handle mentally. I am definitely better than those days when a stuck walker or the dropsies would reduce me to tears, but I am not ready for high demands on me yet.
 
Last edited:
Hey hey hey! So happy to hear about your walk and perseverance. Hopefully the walk was followed by some luxurious elevation and icing.. ok, you know we were going to say this, right? :ice:
But love how you are thinking, and there are ups and downs in this recovery so enjoy the highs!
You "walked it off!" :rotfl:
 
So, I think some of you will find this story amusing. In the shower this morning, dropped my razor, then my soap, shampoo, and nailbrush one after the other. Okay, shower over. I metaphorically shook my fist to the heavens and asked, “Is that all you got?!!” Got out of the shower and kicked over the bathroom garbage can. :heehee:

Imma get back in bed with a nice cup of green tea, my wedge, and the news. I am calling a do over in 30 minutes.

Have a great day, everyone! May you all have a good grip today.
 
Not funny but I'm a dropper as well. And when I drop something I say "was that really necessary?" LOL!
My partner said he thought I dropped stuff on purpose so he could pick it up, not so, I have my trusty kitchen tongs to help me. Thank goodness now when I drop something no issue scooping it right up.
Bed time out for you, come back to it later.
 
@MissFanny "Momma said there'd be days like this" ... the good ones like walking off knee pain ..... and the not so good ones like having the dropsies! "Get a grip" can have many meaning ... and doing a reset can go a long way to getting that grip back. Hope your day gets better!
 
I way overdid it today. Laundry, dusting, plant care, and transplanted basil, lavender, and tomato seedlings into larger pots. I am embarrassed to tell you this but I also half heartedly vacuumed. Just with a light stick vacuum and just what I could easily reach while also hanging onto my walker, but that was probably the dumbest thing I did of all. I am in bed with my feet up and every ice pack I own draped over or wrapped around a body part. I feel fine now, but I am scared for what’s coming tomorrow! Fingers crossed I stopped just short of giving myself any setbacks. Once I got going, I found it hard to stop!
 
I way overdid it today. Laundry, dusting, plant care, and transplanted basil, lavender, and tomato seedlings into larger pots. I am embarrassed to tell you this but I also half heartedly vacuumed. Just with a light stick vacuum and just what I could easily reach while also hanging onto my walker, but that was probably the dumbest thing I did of all. I am in bed with my feet up and every ice pack I own draped over or wrapped around a body part. I feel fine now, but I am scared for what’s coming tomorrow! Fingers crossed I stopped just short of giving myself any setbacks. Once I got going, I found it hard to stop!
Ay yi yi I so relate. I keep trying to remind myself what someone on here said once: you should always stop when you've done the minimum and feel like you could do more. I have tons more swelling today but I'm still eyeing that washing machine like... I'm coming for you today... and then I keep...not. lol. But the day is still young out here... maybe you posted this so I could see it and convince myself to wait yet another day. Hmmmm.
 
Fingers crossed I stopped just short of giving myself any setbacks.
I sure hope so.That’s pretty ambitious for only 13 days post op. :wink: It is such a challenge to refrain from digging in when you’re feeling okay and having a good day. I like a tidy home and dear hubs messes were driving me cuckoo when I was still unable to do much damage control.:gaah:
I think you’re wise to rest / ice and hopefully….with any luck, we don’t find you in the ODIC tomorrow. A peaceful evening to you!
 
TWO WEEKS!

I dodged a bullet with yesterday’s nonsense: I feel okay today. In fact, I must have tuckered myself out because I slept without waking for the first time since surgery. My health app hasn’t updated yet, but I think I got around 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

[ETA: Shoot, I only slept 6 hours but it was uninterrupted for once.]

Nonetheless, I’m going to take things down a notch today and be gentle with myself again. I do plan to start some laps on the cane, though! And to hopefully add one slightly longer walk to the mix today. But that housework can wait!

Doctors appointment tomorrow. I anticipate being released to drive. I didn’t drive until 3.5 weeks with the previous surgery because it was my right hip, so this is exciting. I have nowhere to be, but it will be nice knowing I can hop in the car and drive somewhere if I want. Freedom (and a bit of normalcy) return!

I also expect to be approved to begin taking ibuprofen, so I can start to completely wean off the Tramadol. I am still taking half doses of that every six hours. I think ibuprofen will help with the lingering swelling, too.

I’m turning a corner! Feeling happy, optimistic, and well. :loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
It's a great feeling when you can do things on your own and I like to do my own housework.
I went back to work about a month ago and 2 weeks ago I worked 2 super busy days in a row and I'm paying dearly for it now. So don't go too crazy!
I'm in ODIC and not liking it.
 
Back
Top Bottom