Apprehensive about BTHR anterior style

Thanks Joe, the only reason I pushed my surgery ahead was because I have to have a pin removed from my ankle before it breaks from that accident last November, then my surgeon and his assistant are both having a baby in mid to late May, so they are scheduling light. In June we had a couple of family camping vacations planned for over a year and I did not want to disappoint the boyfriend, the friends were going with, or the kids so I just figured I would wait till that was all over with so I could still walk on the beach even on my bad hip. By then my garden should be all planted my hay should be all in, and I can sit on the porch for the rest of the summer teetering around and getting better. Does that make sense? I would prefer to have it sooner than later but life gets in the way. The longer I wait I think it does make the anxiety build. You guys are great thanks for putting up with my second thoughts, I can't wait till I'm on the other side and I get to say "geez it was not that bad after all LOL".
 
Life does have a habit of stepping in all right.
Look its 10wks away I suppose its not a lifetime.
Get your pin removed and enjoy the camping as much as possible.
Take Care of yourself.
And keep posting
Joe....
 
Thanks Joe,
I am actually feeling better about my upcoming surgery, actually kind of looking forward to it, thank you for your detailed responses to my anxious questions. It's good to talk to somebody who's had the same thing done.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @gaulsuerou.
Just popping up on your pre op post to wish you all the very best on Thursday next.
Its been quite a wait for you but I know you have been active on the forum and I hope it helped you along.
I'm sure once your thread pops up on page/1 so to speak there will be a few others along to wish you well.
It can be a nervous time these last few days but as you have seen on the forum a better life awaits you.
Why not post any questions in the lead up on your post here and we'll all be happy to weigh in.
Best Wishes.
Joe......
 
Ok, I am speaking from experience. Its important you go into this with a positive outlook and stay as positive as you can. Your state of mind is so important to your tecovery. This is a grest place but dont read the stuff that is scary, everyone is different. Mine was rough because as my new surgeon said, I am not your run of the mill hip surgery.

I have arthritis in my SI joints, arthritis in my lower back, bulging disks and scoliosis. He believes the back will feel better when I have the second hip done. So I get it that you have anxiety, so do I but we can do this! Summer is a good time to do this. You can be outside, easier to dress and walk!
 
Thanks everybody, for the well wishes... 4 more days, I think I pushed this out enough so that I realize how much I really do need it. I got launched out of my kayak today, had to climb up a bank, legs just don't work like they should, just made me sad and mad at myself. Looking foreword to being on the other side !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've been thinking about you with the upcoming surgery.
Being only 5 days into recovery the pre op anxiety
is still fresh in my mind. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. All will go well.
Keep us posted.
 
Thank you @Layla
At this point I cannot wait for it to be over, I have waited way too long & the anxiety comes and goes, but the pain has gotten so bad I just cannot wait for Thursday ... thanks for following me I will try and post on the other side as soon as I can, it's good to relate to people who know what it's all about


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@gaulsuerou I am with you all the way! You are only 3 sleeps away from having it over with! You are a strong one, going kayaking. I'm not sure I could even get into our kayak at this point-- you have to steady it against the little shore wavelets with one leg in, and then pull the other in after you quick so you don't overbalance, all the while folding yourself up to fit into the cockpit before extending legs down the interior....oh right, don't drop the paddle in the water!

I graduated from MAUHS in Bennington 1970, and my mother was from there, and came back to live another 25 years when I was a teen. Maybe we know some of the same people! (I have the odd feeling I've talked with you about this before?....)

Thinking of you and sharing the angst. I wasn't much anxious for the first one, but now I am. Besides, I know how long and boring my first recovery was, and just cannot wait to be "a year from now" and going full-out for real.
 
Thanks @zauberflöte
Yes it was tough getting in and out of the kayak, and climbing up the bank when my legs don't want to work, tomorrow we are going to try to put in two hundred bales of hay, we did it a couple weeks ago and although it is a struggle I do what I can,I can drive the truck, and I can throw, I just can't walk LOL, part of the reason I set my surgery out so far was so I could get my garden in, get my hay in, and get some camping trips out of the way that we had been planning for a year. Gotta love the Vermont lifestyle ! Looking back I should've just had surgery two months ago and said to heck with everything else. I would've been better by now… Oh well… Hindsight…
But I did get most everything done that I wanted to, and now I can't wait to go for it, although I am dreading going through it
When is your surgery?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
wow @gaulsuerou I'm glad I get to go through again with a farmer! Last hip there was a mid-west farmer (who'd raised 5 girls with only one bathroom:shocked:). She was canning and freezing instead of baling hay, but same idea...please please take Wednesday off!!!! You will do your body a favor, let it get all the rest it can get.
I'm July 20, 2 1/2 weeks now. My new mattress arrived today, and as it's memory foam and arrived all sucked into a small-ish box, I rolled it up the hill and up the deck steps, and am now airing its expanded self out in the sun. Next hip task: de-allergy the couch, which is part of my recovery nest. It needs a good wash of the slip cover, vacuum the seat and back pieces, and new pillows all round. Hmmmm....did I order those yet? Shoot, now I have to find out! oops nope! Ok, off for a little retail therapy/Amazon porn :yes:
 
Hi @gaulsuerou You're almost there! I was your age when I had my first THR, and the second followed a year later. Here's what restrictions I have now. None.

I ride a bike; I dance; I walk without pain. I take granddaughters to Disney World.

Am I in perfect shape and completely pain free? Nope. Aging does bring a host of issues. Mine are mostly minor so far...but arthritis crops up in all kinds of places....fingers, ankles, toes, lower back. Surprisingly NOT in my knees, for which I am very grateful.

Just think, by the time you get your glorious fall color, you will be past the initial recovery and already starting to reap the benefits of this life-changing surgery. Do remember that it takes a good one to two years for full healing to occur....so keep reminding yourself that the best is yet to come. And give yourself till next year before you start pitching hay bales again! :)

Sharon
 
Thank you Sharon, I so appreciate being able to talk to all of you people, that I don't even know but it sure helps
I guess we all have the same thing in common not everybody gets it


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
One thing pain does, it makes us empathetic so we can encourage each other. I will pray that your surgery and recovery goes great. Keep a positive outlook and dont do too much like i did. If you do it will be one step forward and two back. Focus on resting, icing, take pain meds and try to eat healthy. Dont let the pt's do things if you hurt. If you hurt say no! Be blessed.
 
Sending positive thoughts your way this week for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. I know you are apprehensive - we all were - but it will all definitely be worth it. No more hip pain!! Post on the recovery side when you feel up to it. We will all be watching for you!
 
Thinking of you today, will be praying for your peace of mind, a successful surgery and a manageable
recovery. You'll be on the other side in the blink of an eye.
Keep us posted.
The hiperatti will be rooting for you.
Sending a warm hug!
 
Thinking of you... My BTHR friend. I know your nerves are probably shot out. Try not to think too hard tonight. Hey, maybe even take a break from Us if it distracts you from the morning.
You just remember it WILL be a little jarring... Right after... But oh my stars...BEST DECISION I ever made! Promise.:yes!:❤❤❤
 
Back
Top Bottom