Appointment with Surgeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I am. I know there are going to be things that will come up. I am trying to be ready for those as best I can. That comes from reading and knowing that it is possible.

Hello there @LuluArchie :wave:. We Sapphires need to stick together. I hope you have been reading on all the posts of the Pre-OP as well as the Post-op. There is some awesome information there. I read on some of the posts and pick up on things I can use. I think it will help me in the recovery as well.

Last edited:
The time is ticking away. Have just a few things to finish up with. Those have to wait till last minute. A little nervous but am excited too. Trying to come up with a name for the new knee. The old knee is ready to retire.
I have been looking at all of the things I have done thru the years that has gotten me to this point. Fun memories and rough too. :yahoo:Ready for the other side and healing time. New knee and new times.

I'm excited for you, too! Just a few more days now. :wave:

A name for the new knee might not suggest itself until after birth... er, surgery. Some expletives might come to mind. Or perhaps something gentler, in the Baby category. Or you could be of a practical bent and just call it Righty, as I did. Lefty and Righty. Not terribly original but people always know to whom (or what) I'm referring. :wink:

Have fun with it!

Good Morning @SusieShoes !! Yes I am going to have some fun with it. I am going with a happy, positive mind set.
I think in doing so I will do better. I am also a happy person anyways. I don't know any other way. I have already started on the learning of the P word.

I think your mind set has a lot to do with your recovery. It is very easy to get discouraged and depressed when we can't do what we want to do. Having the right mind set will help with that. And when our mind is good, our body can heal better.
It sounds like you are ready. Good luck with the surgery.

@Teri59, Well, just a few more days for you. My neighbor had a knee replacement on the 12th and is doing well. I do wish you a very successful surgery and outcome. Like you, I have been prepping for my upcoming surgeries. New shoes and jammies, ran around borrowing what I could (ice machine, crutches and a walker). I have been speaking with my physical therapy connections opting for home pt. I am going to make it very clear that I am not going through any type of aggressive therapy. Are you using an ice machine? I was told to freeze Dasani water bottles in the freezer (two sets) to use in the machine as we will go through so much ice. While one is freezing the other is in the machine. Someone also suggested a bath transfer board off Amazon to assist getting into the shower. I have lots of steps in my house and plan to nest in my living room at first. I am also renting a lift chair to make sure I can be up and about when home alone as I do not have a recliner. So much to do still. :)

my best,
Sherry

Hello @PoetryChef! :wave:Thank you, I do have a good support my hubby. I have the extra large ice packs. These wrap all the way around so they cover the back of the knee also. I also did the new shoes. I read where most couldn't wear the old ones. I have a 900 square foot level home. So I don't have the trouble most do with extra steps. I also have a step in shower with a seat in the corner. Those bath transfers are awesome. I use to use them for my patients when I was doing CNA work. I also am putting together a nesting spot in the living room. I have 2 canes.
One that folds away so it can pack easily. I also picked up a grabber. Like extended fingers. So I don't have to stretch and reach. Today is the last day of work. I am on medical leave. Getting real and getting close. :wowspring:Teri

Happy Friday everyone! I received a letter from the hospital giving me some information of the surgery. The surgeon uses the surgical glue and sometimes staples if needed. He also uses the bandage that stays on for 2 weeks. He removes it on my 2 week check up. I can shower right away. This is awesome. The hospital will provide a walker. I can opt for home PT and my insurance will pay for it. I think that is the way to go for me. I will not have to stress about getting to and from other PT. Going to pack the hospital bag over the weekend and have it ready for hubby to bring in when I am in my room. Do some last minute changes to the house and I am ready. Well ready as I am gonna get anyways.

I only stayed in the hospital one night, and found that I never needed 90% of what I took. I slept most of the time in the hospital. I had a walk-in shower, which was easy, but once I got in, I had hubby put a chair right outside the shower. Then when I got out, I sat on the chair to dry myself and get dressed. Saved me some steps, some energy, and helped me feel more confident. My inhome PT actually was the one who removed the bandage, which surprised me, but I loved that I didn't have to go anywhere for it. Sounds like you have done your homework and therefore things should be easier for you.

I sure hope so. I was also told I would be in the hospital over night. I should be home the next day as long as things go as planned. I have done so much reading and most of it is on here. I feel more confident than I would have other wise. Even knowing the other side of things that may happen. I am one that would rather know what to expect. Except for the You tube videos. I scared myself:shocked:. So my next question was, why did I do that.:heehee: Advise to anyone else " Do Not Look!" :loll:

I also had the two week bandage. It's a wonderful thing :ok: You sound very well prepared. Take the weekend to relax and maybe stash away a few more of your favorite snacks. You'll have weeks to go through them.

Those YouTube videos are intense. I watched them, too, as did Mr. Shoes. He got green about the gills, but I was okay. I've been in operating rooms before, and ERs, so was better prepared. The squeamish should definitely not look! It's hard to imagine that being done to oneself.

I am one that has always been there to support others. Now I am the one on this side. It is a whole different look and learning experience. Yes I sure am on the snacks. Hubs and I are shopping this weekend. I have a small clear tote beside the chair I will be nesting in for a while. :snork: I can stash a few things in it.

I enjoyed the videos, except for the cutting of the skin. I think I would have enjoyed watching my surgery, as long as I didn't feel anything. But one thing watching a video does, it shows you the severity of the surgery. Hopefully, you will be able to give yourself permission to be waited on, and just focus on your recovery. Once you are back on your feet, you can continue your serving of others, but for now, serve yourself.

Yes @OJ2 It did for sure but things in perspective when it comes to surgery. I will not have much choice when it comes to the setting and getting waited on. Hubby is taking a 2 week vacation to make sure of that. He knows I will listen to him. Think I will learn to like it.:snork:

Well I am to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM. Surgery is to be at 7:30 depending on the OR. Have everything ready.

Best things about an early appointment with surgery:

* The traffic to the hospital will be light.
* Plenty of parking in the parking garage!
* Your surgeon will be well-rested.
* Your surgery is unlikely to be delayed by the patient using the room (or surgeon) ahead of you.
* Uncrowded pre-op room, so less bustle and noise.
* You're done before noon and might get a bit of lunch in your own room. Be sure to order a few snacks for taking with pills.

Hope you have a safe and uneventful surgery tomorrow morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom