Anyone else in their 40's having knee replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was 49 years old when I had my RTKR but I waited 3 years untill I had it done, then last June I had sergary on my left knee to repair a torn meniscus now almost a year later on the 11th I will be having a LTKR as a resolt I waited all that time to have the 1st done my left suffered and I am still only 53 but feel 93 some times I can't wait to get my life back. X

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
I'm 49 and have just gone on the waiting list for a TKR after nursing mine along for a long, long time. First op was at 18 following a ski-ing injury at 16, 2nd at 20 when I was told I would need a new knee in 10-12 years time (ha!), last arthroscopy about 5 years ago. My knee was bone on bone at that point, but they wanted to put off the knee replacement for as long as possible due to my age. At the time I agreed, as it was totally liveable with. The left knee was also x-rayed 5 years ago, and my consultant said there was little to chose between the two, and that the arthritis was hereditary.
Right knee went from bearable to screaming agony pretty much overnight about a month and a half ago. I knew I was getting closer to needing surgery, but the speed that it went at completely shocked me, and I'm still reeling to be honest. Have gone from managing with just the odd paracetamol and ibuprofen as and when needed, rarely full dosage, to max dose cocodemol and naproxin, which just about allows me to function. I'm constantly limping, use a stick to help me walk, and can't walk far at all. Stairs are a problem, and I live in a 2 storey house with only one bathroom. Luckily there is a lift at work. I've also wrenched my shoulders from having to push myself up out of chairs so that they are horribly painful all the time, too. I love the thing someone else said - I'm too young to feel so old - that really does sum it up!
My doctors and new consultant have been pretty amazing - I've had no arguments at all about getting referred back into the system (I signed myself out after the last op), and my consultant was very supportive about making the decision. I get the impression that they are all quite surprised that I've lasted this long. He did say that his two concerns were my age and my weight (been piling on weight since losing mobility, plus I tend to comfort eat and was overweight anyway - BMI now 32). Clearly I can't do anything about my age, but I do need to work on the weight issue... After I came out of the consultant meeting just over a week ago, I surprised myself by falling apart a little. I thought I really wanted this TKR, and then I realised that of course I don't, no one wants it. I need it, but I don't want it - what I want is a knee that works, and doesn't hurt all the time *sigh*
I don't regret having put it off as long as I have, but if I could have the surgery tomorrow I would. There's no doubt that the time has come as it is stopping me from doing all the things I love (except eating, which doesn't help!), and the pain is just unbearable at times. I suspect that the left knee will need sorting at some point in the not too distant future, but we'll cross that bridge as and when (and keep fingers crossed that there is still an NHS here in the UK to pay for it!).
It sucks to have to deal with this when you are younger, but as others have said, arthritis is no respecter of age. If it needs doing it needs doing, and the only person who can make that decision is you. Once you have decided, you may have to push to get it, as you'll have the age thing thrown back at you again and again ad nauseum. Good luck!
 
Hi @sonnielo,
I hope you don't feel so alone since joining the forum. There are lots of us who are a similar age, you are in good company.

@AuntyT
Welcome to The Forum. Sounds like you are having a rough time at the moment with many things I can personally relate to where the age you feel doesn't match the age you are, also having the severe pain worsen quite quickly impacting your quality of life, and necessitating decisions about surgery. Many of us are in your age group, it should not stand in the way of getting the treatment you need.
We are all at different stages of this journey, but there is lots of help here.
Keep posting any questions or concerns.
Love, Tabby :kittykiss:
PS. my BMI is 30 and no one said anything.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had a TKR done at age 39 due to a massive infection the destroyed my knee. It's been 2.5 years now and I have my life back. I ski, hike, backpack etc with ease. It was completely worth it. My OS has said I'll probably be on the low side of the shelf life, but that my quality of life is way more important! Good luck to you!
 
Thanks for the welcome @Tabbycat - been lurking for a while since discovering this forum, and thought it time to throw my towel into the ring.
Apologies for what turned into a mahoosive reply to your post @sonnielo - didn't mean to hijack it in any way!
 
I was diagnosed with arthritis at 35 when I had really bad foot pain. For the next 10+ years I ignored the pain as best I could with meds, not knowing that there was another solution. Finally in 2011, it just hit me - I couldn't ignore the pain and the meds weren't making life any easier. I went back to the practice that initially diagnosed me and they seemed to somewhat disregard me initially about my pain. When they took current Xrays, it was a completely different story. I still remember the doc coming in with big round eyes telling me my left knee was bone-on-bone. He told me about TKR ( I honestly didn't know it was/could be done) but said it doesn't really alleviate the pain and suggested a very expensive injection. It cost a lot, but didn't do anything for me. I found out later that this doc was not an orthopedic surgeon and may be why he tried to steer me away from TKR.
My boss had me go see his tennis partner - an orthopedic surgeon with a lot of TKRs under his belt. I saw his PA who suggested I at least try a cortisone shot which I did. It helped for a few months, the next shot did not. At that point, I had difficulty walking to my boss's office about 50 feet away, and would wait until I had enough things to review/discuss to cut down on trips.
The PA told me I was ready for LTKR if I wanted it - right knee still had some gap/life left in it according to the initial X Rays. While waiting for surgery, my knee got even worse and threw my whole body out of whack. Though I've never been to a chiropractor, I went. I have never wanted a massage because I don't have the patience for it - I went. EVERY bone in my body seemed to hurt - including my jaw! Apparently my pain was causing me to grind my teeth/jaw when I slept and gave me problems too.
A short time before surgery I met with the OS who re-ran the xrays. He told me to pick which knee to do first since in that short 3+ month time, my right knee got as bad as the left.
Now here I am 3 1/2 years later. I can't do everything someone with normal knees might be able to - but it may be a mental issue rather than physical. Am I living life normally again? YES!!
I hope my knees last me the rest of my life, but if I had to go through it every 5 years to avoid the pain and get to where I am today I would do it happily.
Waiting for an age or something else doesn't make sense. When you can no longer live with the knees you have, get new ones! It's really not so bad for the vast majority of us TKRs.
I am blessed to have new knees and to have found this forum when everything was so scary. Best of luck to you!
 
I was told that I needed a knee replacement when i was 50, but I was advised to wait until I was "old enough." Big mistake! I had nine years of increasing pain and decreasing mobility before I had the knee replaced.
That knee replacement gave me back my life!

I'm now a firm believer that you should get the knee replaced when the knee is ready, regardless of how young (or how old) you are. It's the state of the knee that matters, not your date of birth.
 
I was 44 when I had the first one done; then 8 weeks later had the second one done when I was 45! These knees have given me my life back!:yes!::happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom