TKR Antpitta's LTKR - tick, RPKR - tick

Happy Four Month Anniversary, Antpitta!
I hope you're doing well and your back pain continues to ease. You're getting closer to your trip to Canada to visit your sister (noted before the first day of Summer is even here) :wink: We all know how fast time flies.
Leave us an update when you have a minute, we'd love to hear from you again.
Wishing you a happy, healthy Summer 2025!
@Antipitta's
 
Thanks for the "reminder" @Layla - of course that was a month ago and I'm now at 16 months on the TKR and 5 on the PKR and very happy that both are progressing well and there's not much I'm not able to do (prolonged kneeling excepted so having to find new techniques for weeding the garden!).

Apart from the first few steps which tend to feel a little stiff after waking or sitting too long I can't really think of any mobility issues. I've never worried too much about ROM and both knees have more than enough for all my regular activities (the partial has already "overtaken" the PKR in that respect).

I still have numb/tingling patches just below the kneecap, on the outside of each knee but not causing any problems and both knees click quite noticeably - sometimes one, sometimes the other, sometimes both (or neither) but not painfully and not affecting movement. It does sound like the numb patches and clicking are common aftereffects so I'm not worrying about either. Finally, although I don't feel/sense any swelling, after a particularly hard day out on the farm or a longer than usual walk there is a sense of tightness (like a bandage has been applied) around both knees: not painful but an excuse to put my feet up in the evening.

I still do regular sessions on the static bike and rower - both set to default/low resistance as I'm more interested in mobility than strength but also slowly building up to (hopefully) improve my cardiovascular condition which really suffered the last couple of increasingly immobile years before the knees were upgraded. As an incentive to work on that I recently booked flights to visit my sister in Canada in September and for my wife and I to visit Northern Peru in November. Quite different "challenges" as for Canada I just need to be comfortable being able to walk 3-5 miles a day on flat, even terrain while for Peru I need to feel good about 5-10 miles most days, much at altitude (12000+ feet) with some steep rocky and/or slippery trails, for both trips carrying full birding/camera gear. At home we live at sea level with no significant hills to practice on. Something to work towards/look forward too in any case!

So, all good so far and I do feel blessed with my outcome reading the challenges that some Bonesmarties have to go through. On the odd occasion I feel less positive I just try to remind myself that after 5 years of prescription painkillers within 2 weeks of the 2nd knee I was off all pain meds and - most importantly - for the first time in many years I have mechanically pain free knees (a bit of discomfort doesn't count!). Yipeeee
 
Finally, although I don't feel/sense any swelling, after a particularly hard day out on the farm or a longer than usual walk there is a sense of tightness (like a bandage has been applied) around both knees: not painful but an excuse to put my feet up in the evening.
That is normal and for me lasted a year or so. I think it is due to the knee being a tiny joint and even the slightest swelling causes this sensation

while for Peru I need to feel good about 5-10 miles most days, much at altitude (12000+ feet) with some steep rocky and/or slippery trails, for both trips carrying full birding/camera gear. At home we live at sea level with no significant hills to practice on.
I would consider taking a foldable walking stick for this trip.
I am planning a trip to Sri Lanka and there is a steep rocky mountain ( Sigirya) that I have climbed previously and would like to do again. I will pack my foldable stick.
I would also try to keep the weight to the minimum and evenly loaded.
I can walk miles- easily 5 or 6 miles on the flat but I am still careful on hill trails with fall hazards.
 
I found that going up a hill was easier than going down it. In the post op early days, (under a year out), I would have to go down sideways to feel more secure. I always have a walking stick with me while hiking uneven ground. You never know what might happen!
 
So, all good so far and I do feel blessed with my outcome reading the challenges that some Bonesmarties have to go through. On the odd occasion I feel less positive I just try to remind myself that after 5 years of prescription painkillers within 2 weeks of the 2nd knee I was off all pain meds and - most importantly - for the first time in many years I have mechanically pain free knees (a bit of discomfort doesn't count!). Yipeeee
Love this part of your update! Thanks for letting us know how well you're doing!

I hope you and your wife enjoy the upcoming trips. I'm sure you will. Wishing you good health and safe travels!
Stay in touch. :)
 
Thanks @EalingGran & @sistersinhim for your advice. I've got a really nice pair of collapsible ultra light weight carbon fibre hiking poles which I used to "hobble" around with in Ecuador last November - and wouldn't dream of leaving them at home for this trip. I think most people agree that going upslope - however tiring - most always feels safer than going down given a slip going up most times doesn't get worse than face-planting where a downhill slip can end up pretty much anywhere.

Being much more mobile/active than recent years the plan is to shed 5-10kg weight in the next few months to offset the weight of equipment I expect to carry. At least that is the plan!

I hope you enjoy your Sri Lanka trip @EalingGran - a beautiful country I remember as the first vacation my wife (then girlfriend) took after getting together on another birding trip in India. Hard to believe that was over 30 years ago. Where did all those years go?
 
It's been more than two months since I last updated my story here so just a quick update now I'm at 19 months with the TKR and over 8 months on the PKR. Firstly, I wish I'd started out on the knee replacement journey a year or two earlier. Within a month of the PKR I realised I was basically pain free for the first time in over 5 years: like many people I put off getting surgery beyond the point where arthritic pain affected so many aspects of daily life despite taking more and more painkillers with (as I realise now) probably no chance of any lasting improvement.

So, now, I'm recently back from 2 weeks visiting my sister & family in Canada. I was out birding every day covering (as planned) between 3 and 5 miles a day on a variety of surfaces (roads/mud/sand/rock) even if pretty much all on the flat. Absolutely no problems - either during the day or after (metaphorically) putting my feet up in the evening. In fact my knees both feel their best ever post-op! I still get some clicking (some days nothing, other days one or other clicks for all or part of the day but absolutely no pain). I still have numb patches over/just below each knee but the older (left/TKR) one is now much less noticeable since this trip. Either way, nothing I'm bothered about.

In 5 weeks time my wife and I are off to Peru for 3+ weeks birding - we took the risk of arranging this back in July based on my progress at that point. I'm so glad we did although I know it will be a much tougher trip with some days needing 10+ miles walking, much at altitude (10,000 feet and up) and with some trails famously wet, rocky and slippery (I will take hiking poles for the downhills). This would have been unthinkable at the start of the year. If all goes well I'll try to post a pic from the high Andes!

I still regularly scan through current Bonesmart threads. The stories remind me of my journey - mostly good with a few less-good bits - and how valuable the support and source of information is here. It's probably human nature and/or the Amazon/Trip Advisor review effect that more threads relate to problems with surgery and recovery and so it is easy to overlook that most of us Bonesmarties who have got through these major surgeries have got back our mobility and lost the day-in day-out pain of wrecked joints.
 
Last edited:
Thanks so much for stopping by to give us an update, @Antpitta's! Wonderful to read that you are doing well enough to tackle hiking in the Andes. Enjoy the trip and be sure to come back with a report after you return.
 
This is a great report and I'll be looking for those photos! There is nothing more rewarding for us than seeing our BoneSmarties back in action. Thanks for letting us know your progress and let no bird be unwatched in the coming months :heehee:.
 
Hi Antpitta's,
Such a nice surprise to see your update, we're grateful you stopped by and appreciate that you still scan the forum on occasion. You're doing so well and your upcoming birding / hiking trip to Peru sounds like quite an adventure. Please stop by to share a photo and update sometime after you return.
Wishing you safe travels and hope it's the trip of a lifetime!
@Antpitta's
 
As promised, an update and photo "evidence" that things are on the right track!

We're just home after 3 weeks birding in the Andes in Northern Peru and very happy to report absolutely no problems with either of my fabulous new knees!!! After the pain of last years visit to Ecuador (prior to my RPKR) and the year before to Colombia (prior to my LTKR) it was just wonderful to find the only limitations were my overall cardiovascular condition (which has suffered during my 5 or so years of arthritis) and nothing to do with my knees.

I was happy to walk as far as I wanted/needed (probably between 3 and 8 miles a day), up/down often steep and sometimes slippery trails at up to 14,000 feet without any mishaps (or use of hiking poles which I had expected to use). Home now my legs overall feel their best in years - doubtless all the exercise has helped so I need to keep up the "work" particularly as we're now planning to visit central Peru next summer.

More and more I wish I hadn't waited so long to get on the replacement "train" - it feels like any pain and inconvenience following surgery were all worth it. Fingers crossed for the future!

Anyway, from a couple of weeks ago here is Antpitta with the long-suffering Mrs Antpitta in search of Antpitta's (Google it!) near the entry to the Upper Maranon valley at around 9,000 feet in Northern Peru.

[Bonesmart.org] Antpitta's LTKR - tick, RPKR - tick
 
WOW!!!! What a beautiful pair of Antpittas and I'm so impressed with your accomplishments. Long live the knees! This is the kind of story that will help those who have painful joints and are just starting to consider the possibility of needing surgery. Thanks for posting your photo.
 
Beautiful photo, sounds like you had a wonderful vacation with your new knees. Thank you for the update. Let us know your adventures from time to time.
 
Great report! So good to hear from you and that's all well.
Getting back to travelling is wonderful isn't it?
 
What a beautiful photo and great update on those new knees! Keep those pictures coming!
 
Lovely couple! What a picturesque setting. You've been blessed to travel to some fascinating places and now thankfully with new knees and no pain! Hopefully you're slowly rebuilding your cardio health as your mobility has increased. I did look up Antpitta's and read that the diversity of birds in the Andes of northern Peru is greater than nearly anywhere else on earth. Amazing! That had to be wonderful for you as a couple of birders. How exciting.

Thanks for taking the time to share the news of your journey and the beautiful photo. You are quite an inspiration, Antpitta! Wishing you both a happy holiday season and more adventures in 2026! :)
@Antpitta's
 
Happy One Year Anniversary!
I hope 2026 is off to a good start for you. Best wishes always!
@Antpitta's
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom