gingko
junior member
I had the anterior approach about 14 weeks ago and am still healing and having some pain and swelling with walking and exercise. I would say the main Advantages of the anterior approach are:
1. no restrictions
2. possibly easier earlier recovery
3. possibly less leg length discrepancy issues since you are lying on your back during surgery and they take an X-ray to make sure the legs are even
Disadvantages:
1. scar in the front is uglier
2.in good hands I don't think major nerve damage is an issue but minor damage to the femoral cutaneous nerve is very common and often temporary. I have the numbness over the operative area and don't mind it even if it were permanent.
3. Late recovery: this may be the same as posterior as the femur is still sawed off even though the muscles are not cut. I'm not sure why I'm still having problems 3/12 months later but I am walking with good function, no longer using the cane.
Gingko
2006 LTHR ceramic on poly, Matta
1. no restrictions
2. possibly easier earlier recovery
3. possibly less leg length discrepancy issues since you are lying on your back during surgery and they take an X-ray to make sure the legs are even
Disadvantages:
1. scar in the front is uglier
2.in good hands I don't think major nerve damage is an issue but minor damage to the femoral cutaneous nerve is very common and often temporary. I have the numbness over the operative area and don't mind it even if it were permanent.
3. Late recovery: this may be the same as posterior as the femur is still sawed off even though the muscles are not cut. I'm not sure why I'm still having problems 3/12 months later but I am walking with good function, no longer using the cane.
Gingko
2006 LTHR ceramic on poly, Matta
United States