TKR Annie's recovery thread

Oooh those all sound great recommendations. My husband loves driving so that’s sorted. We had a lovely week in Austin Texas a few years ago at a resort which was virtually empty. We had grey fun canoeing on the river watching the turtles & enjoying the sunny days. I’ve always wanted to ski in Colorado but that might not happen this year!
 
I second @luvcats CO recommendation. I have lived in Aurora (just outside Denver) and Colorado Springs. Spent much time at Garden of the Gods. Strolling quaint Manitou Springs and visiting the cool cliff dwellings. Having afternoon tea at beautiful Glen Eyrie. Loved hiking in breathtaking Rocky Mountain National Park and exploring ghost towns. Be sure to eat (and enjoy the cliff divers) at Casa Bonita in Denver for me! So many happy memories. It took my mind off the knees for a few minutes. ;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds idyllic! What’s a cliff diver ? Is it a cocktail? I’m off to investigate....
 
@Annie LTKR October is too early for skiing, even in Colorado, although traditionally there is one snow fall around Halloween. It doesn't stick though.

Did you find the site for Casa Bonita? It's pretty much a Denver tourist Icon.

For this October, it might be too soon for a lot of hikes through the National Parks of Utah. Those are some rough trails. But it is an absolutely perfect time for Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. Look up Estes Park, it's the perfect base and not too far a drive from Denver. October is the season for Elk bugling. Which is just amazing if you haven't heard it. Lots of fun stuff to do there.

@eelainea65 I miss Colorado a lot too. So beautiful!
 
Thank you so much @luvcsts will look up Estes Park, Elk bugling sounds fun! My husband is now away until Tuesday, daughter is working long shifts saving for University. Son is away visiting friends so just me and my snoring dog at home. Can’t wait to drive but have three weeks left before I am allowed.
 
Think I need more than two weeks holiday in October now !
 
Feeling rough this afternoon. Knee hurts , hips hurt and back hurts. I hate sleeping on my back but everything goes numb if I lie on my right side with two pillows. Resting is dull, my brain is foggy, can’t drive and live in the countryside. Anyhow I’m going to try and be positive and focus on all that’s good instead of how dull everything is! :tiredwheel:​
 
I saw a doctor today who said that knee replacements aren’t always straightforward! He has said I shouldn’t go back to work until the end of September as my job is so busy and I normally walk around 17,000 steps a
day with stairs everywhere.
Has anyone got any recommendations for holiday in the United States in mid October for two weeks
If I were you I would not plan a big trip for 3 months post op, since I agree that knee replacements are not always straight forward. Especially shortly after returning to a job that has that much walking. It would be a shame to waste all that money on a trip you may not feel up to taking, and even if you do go, the possible set back from over activity can take a long time to undo, at only 3 months post op. Been there, done that.

Take your time healing and you will be able to do the things you want to do with no worries, later on.
 
Think we will end up hiring a house with a pool if we go away so can just potter if I’m not up to big days out. Nothing is booked yet and we get cheap flights so I will be sensible and not go if I am not up to it! My husband has been on a promotion course, had all his summer leave cancelled and we haven't had a holiday since last August so I am enjoying looking st places to try and cheer myself up!
 
Has anyone got any recommendations for holiday in the United States in mid October for two weeks.
A long haul flight, lots of walking and lots of driving - not exactly the best choice for anyone who has just had joint replacement. You might want to try somewhere more local this year. Yes, I know you are bored. But you have just had major surgery. Let that knee heal and you will have years of holidays!
 
I agree with Jaycey. There must be some place somewhat local that you could relax and enjoy without adding unnecessary stress to your recovery.

Dreams are great, keep looking for a fun place, but plan a long distance trip further into the future.

I went away at 4 mo the post op, only a 90 minute drive, for just a weekend. Things somewhat out of my control caused me a set back that took an entire month to see improvement. My “fun” weekend was not worth the price I paid.
 
Can you book a cruise out of the UK? Three months is awfully early to travel after a knee replacement. At least with a cruise, you wouldn't have a long flight and you could basically stay put on the ship if you didn't feel up to any shore excursions. Just be sure to get complete travel insurance because it's very likely you'll not be up to a big vacation in October.
 
@Jamie I’ve never really cruised but that’s a good idea. Thank you so much for the idea I will have a look online!
 
You know what they say...."We plan and God laughs".......

At three months out you may feel well enough to take a vacation, or you may not. Or, you may feel well enough until you've actually flown on a tight, cramped plane for hours and hours, after walking through a busy airport; driven to your destination, and so on. At that point you may be wondering, What the :censored: have I done?!!!!!!!!!!!

My suggestion; after having had a TKR, a revision and various other knee surgeries myself; is to have patience, and wait until you've healed longer than three months, then take a couple of inexpensive, short, local-ish trips and see how you do. If they go well, you are a go for planning a bigger vacation. If not, then you know you're not quite ready for a major trip and should wait a little longer to book it. I know the feeling of being rarin' to go, but I also know if we try to do more than our knees are ready to do, we will pay the price. I'd hate to be in a foreign country, expecting to have fun, just to find myself stuck in my room with my knee swollen and screaming at me for putting it through all that. Not to mention the wasted money!
 
Cruising is a good idea, but just remember how much walking there is to do on a ship. I've put off cruising for now due to all the walking required, but have kept it in my future plans for when I can walk long distances without problems.
 
If planning trips is keeping you occupied right now, then I say plan 3 or 4! Looks like you're right on track for boredom to set in. During my 3rd week I was sooooooooo bored. Done with TV, but still not sharp enough for my usual interests.

Cruises can be amazing vacations, even with a bad leg. I couldn't walk much when we went for ours about a year ago, but I still managed to have fun. Some ships will allow you to bring an ECV that fits in your room to help you get around on the ship and for excursions. I didn't have one, but even with trouble walking around, I'd park myself in a lounge with comfortable seating and a good window and it was still a lovely break.

I've been spending a lot of time looking into future travel too. It's a good way to remember that recovery is temporary, even if it feels like forever some days. It will all be worth it when we can get around and do the things we had to put off.
 
Dear @luvcats,
Thank you for your positive post. Distraction is definitely the name of the game. I think I’m used to a busy mentally challenging job and being physically active. These factors don’t fit well with enforced rest and icing, even though I am doing it. I’ve had a lot of back and hip pain in the last 24 hours and not much sleep
So am going to medicate and hopefully have a power nap!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom